ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Obi Impact

Jul 23, 2002
I have been hearing very good things about his game. Do you feel he will give Duke the toughness down low that they will need this season.

Obi%20Won%20Seanobi%20Cameron%20Tar%20Wars2_3.jpg

OFC

Reactions: dukehokie
I know nothing at all about this kid, but man does he look strong. With the perimeter firepower that we have and Chase and Amile's ability to get a few garbage points on the inside, it would be great to see him clean boards and play solid post D.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Great rebounder and solid defensive option when we got a bigger center to go against...plus had a year going against jah in practice so will be ready for anyone. I definitely think he can grab a few points on the offensive end too.

Great rebounder and solid defensive option when we got a bigger center to go against...plus had a year going against jah in practice so will be ready for anyone. I definitely think he can grab a few points on the offensive end too.

I'm really excited to see what Obi can do. He's a BIG guy, and he's proven he can rebound. As you say, with a year in practice against Jah, Plum, & Amile he should be in good position to contribute quite well for our Blue Devils.

OFC

Reactions: JCColsCane
The thing about Obi is that he has 3 years of eligibility left. He like the rest of the team will get the pt they earn. We are deep next year and we all know Coach K doesn't have a 10 or 11 man rotation. Obi will get his opportunity jut like the rest of the players. I really see him making a contribution this season. It may be in spots and in certain roles. We need to have somebody to control Meeks and Big Luke Maye.;) We are in really good shape. Never can tell when someone will go down with an injury or some other reason that may affect our roster like what happened last year. That's why I think last years NC is Coach K's best just because he did it with 8 players, 4 who were freshman that two of them spent some significant time on the bench against Wisc. due to foul problems. Obi's time will come and he will be a big part of the plan. OFC

The thing about Obi is that he has 3 years of eligibility left. He like the rest of the team will get the pt they earn. We are deep next year and we all know Coach K doesn't have a 10 or 11 man rotation. Obi will get his opportunity jut like the rest of the players. I really see him making a contribution this season. It may be in spots and in certain roles. We need to have somebody to control Meeks and Big Luke Maye.;) We are in really good shape. Never can tell when someone will go down with an injury or some other reason that may affect our roster like what happened last year. That's why I think last years NC is Coach K's best just because he did it with 8 players, 4 who were freshman that two of them spent some significant time on the bench against Wisc. due to foul problems. Obi's time will come and he will be a big part of the plan. OFC

K doesn't do a 10-11 rotation, but has proven he will do a 4 man rotation at the 4-5. I think we are deep enough with enough talent at the 4-5 to see that this year. There is not (at least at this point) a scoring threat for us down low that would serve to keep others 4-5 off the court. Big men need a bit more rotation than the guards generally.

Reactions: skysdad
I like what Sean brings to the table this year. He's strong and has size which will help us on the glass and defensive end. The only thing I think he will really have to adapt to is ACC play cuz no matter what anyone says the league has the best coaches and players and adjustments are made. No doubt in my mind that K will have him prepared.

K doesn't do a 10-11 rotation, but has proven he will do a 4 man rotation at the 4-5. I think we are deep enough with enough talent at the 4-5 to see that this year. There is not (at least at this point) a scoring threat for us down low that would serve to keep others 4-5 off the court. Big men need a bit more rotation than the guards generally.
The 2010 title team is a perfect example of the post rotation you mention, but I really can't think of any others right off the top of my head. We could arguably say K doesn't really "do" anything as a set thing; he instead lets personnel determine things like rotation.

That said, what has happened in the past is a pretty understandable and legit resource for trying to predict what might happen next. I could very much see some 4-man post rotation w/ Amile, Marshall, Chase, and Obi. Like 2010, though, where we didn't rely heavily on the post for scoring, there will probably still be a hierarchy within that rotation. Consider what Amile brought last year: He didn't score much, but he was pretty invaluable in some big wins w/ his defense, both full court and in the half court. As a senior I expect he will be at the top of that rotation unless someone else really emerges as a complete player. No one expects him to be the force Jah was, but aside from "15 and '13, I think we'd have to go back to '99 to find a team where a true low post scorer was our #1 option. There are 2 national titles and a ton of ACC titles in between.

Reactions: Wojoman
Sean is going to be a nice surprise. And developmentally speaking, he's supposed to be a junior right now. He'll be ready to contribute IMO.

Coach Will has done wonders for Sean in terms of his body and adding some athleticism. He's never going to be an above the rim guy, but he has increased his vert, decreased his body fat % and has really become a more agile player than he ever was. He dunks more regularly which is nice to see. The Duke strength and conditioning program has helped a lot of guys. I think Sean is one of those guys whose basketball future it may change. Not saying he's NBA bound, but he has a better shot at being a pro somewhere than he did at Rice.

Reactions: Dattier
I believe the force of his impact, when he makes contact with opponents, will be significant.

Sean is going to be a nice surprise. And developmentally speaking, he's supposed to be a junior right now. He'll be ready to contribute IMO.

Coach Will has done wonders for Sean in terms of his body and adding some athleticism. He's never going to be an above the rim guy, but he has increased his vert, decreased his body fat % and has really become a more agile player than he ever was. He dunks more regularly which is nice to see. The Duke strength and conditioning program has helped a lot of guys. I think Sean is one of those guys whose basketball future it may change. Not saying he's NBA bound, but he has a better shot at being a pro somewhere than he did at Rice.

Your body is bound to get stronger when you switch from Rice.

I sure hope he has a good year, and fully expect him to compete. He is big, strong, seems to have a great attitude, and really enjoys being at Duke. With the year of practice and going through the ups and downs of last year with that great group, he could be a very pleasant surprise this year! I see him improving greatly as the year goes on and he gets game experience. I sure wish him the best and will be pulling for him.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

I would not expect to much from this year. Marshall, Amile, Jeter and Ingram( yes he will play some at the 4) are all ahead of him IMO.

I would not expect to much from this year. Marshall, Amile, Jeter and Ingram( yes he will play some at the 4) are all ahead of him IMO.

Once again all recruits know the deal when they come to Duke and Coach K doesn't have a 12 man rotation. I hope Obi comes out and just owns the court. I hope all the players do that I don't care who leads us in scoring, rebounding,assist or court time. I just want to win. OFC

I like what Sean brings to the table this year. He's strong and has size which will help us on the glass and defensive end. The only thing I think he will really have to adapt to is ACC play cuz no matter what anyone says the league has the best coaches and players and adjustments are made. No doubt in my mind that K will have him prepared.

Irish,

Good post.

I know this question has been asked before, and I apologize for not knowing the answer because of that, but does Obi get recognized as a National Champion? Or does the redshirt year prevent that. I believe we had the same questions for Seth, but I don't recall the answer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT