ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage

Stewart’s athleticism really stood out.

Proctor, Roach, Mitchell, Stewart, Flip

Thats my starting five.

Reactions: dukecorey
Proctor looks dominant. Roach's shot seems to be smoother. Reeves and Young are going to be excellent back ups bigs for us but Stewart and Flip are absolutely the starting 4/5. McCain is gonna be a huge weapon off the bench I think.

Stewart is energy, high energy. As active as he was in the video, he will still come off the bench. Young is comfortable out there. His chemistry and experience gives us our best option in November and December. By January, we will see what works. As for Reeves, he's tall and improving. His role will be rim protector and shot blocker. Very few teams in the country can put a Reeves and Flip on the floor at the same time.

Last edited:
I love Stewart’s bounce! Looking like it may be hard to keep him out of the starting lineup. Him and Mitchell defending wings will be tenacious.

I still think we go with a traditional big lineup to start which means Young is starting. But I doubt that lineup actually plays a lot of minutes together (15 maybe) early in the season and then as we evolve the lineup changes based on matchups and who is playing well.

If you are a Duke fan and aren't excited about this team, your better check your pulse!! I feel like Proctor is going to have a GREAT year, his confidence should be off the charts, sorta like a sophomore Trey Jones. Flip is going to be a beast playing with a chip on his shoulder. I really think Roach is going to play like the battle experienced warrior that he is, stone cold.

And it goes on, and on.........Let's Go Duke!!

The team looks great, so many weapons and depth. Stewart really impressed me with how active he was in the clips. Also nice to see everyone back except Flip.

Reactions: hart2chesson
If you are a Duke fan and aren't excited about this team, your better check your pulse!! I feel like Proctor is going to have a GREAT year, his confidence should be off the charts, sorta like a sophomore Trey Jones. Flip is going to be a beast playing with a chip on his shoulder. I really think Roach is going to play like the battle experienced warrior that he is, stone cold.

And it goes on, and on.........Let's Go Duke!!
Roach will take a Wojo/Cook role this year. He just needs to lead. Proctor will have a bunch of scouts at the game. Flip's success will be determined on how the team protects him on defense. Stewart is a healthy, aggressive, and an active Dariq that we didn't see last year.

Last edited:
Biggest takeaway is Proctor looks dominant and is in for a monster year.
Yeah he looks incredible. Having him, Stewart and Mitchell should give other teams serious problems trying to score. Having a 6'5" PG who's long and athletic and two 6'9" forwards who can switch between wing and rim protection is something I don't think anyone else has.

Stewart is a good recruit but wow he’s being oversold a bit here….
It's more about us not seeing that type of energy in the long time. He's also looking for his points close to the rim. Henry Coleman, Brakefield, Jefferson, Lance and Tony Lang gave us that feeling. Sadly, Coleman and Brakefield left us.

Stewart is a good recruit but wow he’s being oversold a bit here….
I think with Scheyer being a defense first guy, Stewart will probably get a chance to start early. The speed, athleticism and defensive instincts are just too good to ignore. At least from what I've seen.

I don't think anyone expects a ton of offensive output from him. Though we really shouldn't need it.

I think with Scheyer being a defense first guy, Stewart will probably get a chance to start early. The speed, athleticism and defensive instincts are just too good to ignore. At least from what I've seen.

I don't think anyone expects a ton of offensive output from him. Though we really shouldn't need it.
You don't need it, but if he gets those put backs, that's all the offense needed.

IMO Stewart will have a much bigger impact on this team than Reeves, Reeves time will come but may not be this year. And by January, he will have a bigger impact on this team than Young.

He is the perfect role player along all of our studs. Alter shots, rebound, take charges, any sort of effort/hustle play will be his role. If only he was about 2-3 inches taller. However, he doesn’t need the basketball to be effective and that is just what we need.

He is very Lance Thomas/Amile Jefferson-ish, but with hops.

Reactions: dukecorey
Roach will take a Wojo/Cook role this year. He just needs to lead. Proctor will have a bunch of scouts at the game. Flip's success will be determined on how the team protects him on defense. Stewart is a healthy, aggressive, and active Dariq that we didn't see last year.
I would add take a Scheyer role this year jam as well!!! “Duke is never the under dog!!” - Quinn Cook

Reactions: hart2chesson
Wow nice surprise than you for posting. Hard to tell as we always look like world beaters in these edited scrimmages, but we certainly look good. Mitchell, Proctor and Flip look like our big 3, along with Roach. Mitchell and Proctor look like match up nightmares for other teams. McCain did some nice things but has a bad habit of driving to the baseline and getting stuck. But that can be coached. He's got nice size and will likely start some games. Young looked solid. He's making that 15 footer which will make him less predictable. Reeves showed some nice moves, and Schutt looked confident with his shot. Stewart is bigger than I thought and can really finish. He is going to see the court, perhaps even start, but I'd like to see more of him to be sure. He is built like Josh Hairston but appears more polished. he looks like a guy who does the dirty work, which would allow Flip to do his thing. I love those high motor guys. Power looked a step slow, but it's just one scrimmage. Blakes may have trouble seeing the court. McCain looks ahead of Foster; but again it's early.

Last edited:
We have 4 guys who are going to get major minutes in close games, and 7 guys who deserve to see the court depending on the situation.

Freshmen tend to look good in scrimmages but in organized games against experienced teams it's a different story. I think Power will look better in a structured game.

Nobody mentioned Foster. To me he looks athletic and strong and unafraid to go to the basket. I wouldn't sell him short for minutes. Likewise, Blakes has experience and plays defense which buys you minutes.

I'm a big Reeves fan and he seems to be in the right place to score but I'm not sure his footwork and hands are there yet. It may take half a season for him to settle in.

In other words, I have no idea who is going to play where but I'm looking forward to the ride.

I think hes a perfect bolt of energy off the bench for us this year and will help us. I do agree, I don't think he's a starter this year.
I like the kid but he’s playing intrsquad against a weaker front court. Reeves is about 60% and Young isn’t a defensive monster. I’ll table my excitement until after Duke plays an athletic frontline.

I agree his energy is a very good thing regardless!

Reactions: Duke Blu and Liftee
The D was lacking, but always is in these scrimmages. No one is going to risk an injury trying to block a dunk, nor should they.

Wow nice surprise than you for posting. Hard to tell as we always look like world beaters in these edited scrimmages, but we certainly look good. Mitchell, Proctor and Flip look like our big 3, along with Roach. Mitchell and Proctor look like match up nightmares for other teams. McCain did some nice things but has a bad habit of driving to the baseline and getting stuck. But that can be coached. He's got nice size and will likely start some games. Young looked solid. He's making that 15 footer which will make him less predictable. Reeves showed some nice moves, and Schutt looked confident with his shot. Stewart is bigger than I thought and can really finish. He is going to see the court, perhaps even start, but I'd like to see more of him to be sure. He is built like Josh Hairston but appears more polished. he looks like a guy who does the dirty work, which would allow Flip to do his thing. I love those high motor guys. Power looked a step slow, but it's just one scrimmage. Blakes may have trouble seeing the court. McCain looks ahead of Foster; but again it's early.
Blakes will compete. Blake's injury was a setback. Look for Blakes to push for pt.

Proctor, Roach, Mitchell and Flip will all be looking for shots, as they should.

Stewart looks like as PERFECT of a fit as I can think of among the group of Power, Young and Reeves.

I think he would be the best rebounder, defender, and finisher out of them all. I think he can rotate over the fastest to help Flip of needed and I think his nose for the ball is far superior.

I am calling it right now, if not at the start of the season, he will cement himself eventually. He looks like an athletic glue guy that this team needs.

Stewart has some serious hops. He might be raw but that is NBA athleticism. looks like he's on a pogo stick when he jumps. Reminds me of Patrick Patterson before his injury. Power needs to work on his defense several people blew right past him. Nice to see Schutt playing with a lot of confidence.

Last edited:
Biggest takeaway is that Proctor looks like he may be the best point guard in the nation next year. I expected that, but he looks a step faster, more diversified offensively, and extremely comfortable and confident. The next is that I think Mitchell may also have taken a step forward, which would be huge for this team.

Not enough Power in that video to judge. I still think he could play a big role.

I like the way the freshmen guards are playing. Foster seems to seek contact. I like that. Obviously also liked Sean's energy and finishing around the rim.

We are going to be deep.

Just a general opinion on Proctor, not influenced by this scrimmage. I don't remember a Duke player that went from looking like he had never played the game in his life, to a very good player in seemingly a blink of an eye. Ingram looked like a bust early, but became a star. His low was never as low and his high will most likely be higher. But that's the last freshman I remember with as drastic of an improvement in such a short period.

I think hes a perfect bolt of energy off the bench for us this year and will help us. I do agree, I don't think he's a starter this year.
Think you’ll either see Stewart playing PF with Proctor, Roach, Mitchell, and Flip or you’ll see a 3 guard lineup with Proctor, Roach, McCain, Mitchell and Flip. Think Mitchell and Stewart give us a ton of flexibility with how we want run offensively or defensively.

Reactions: Duke Blu
Think you’ll either see Stewart playing PF with Proctor, Roach, Mitchell, and Flip or you’ll see a 3 guard lineup with Proctor, Roach, McCain, Mitchell and Flip. Think Mitchell and Stewart give us a ton of flexibility with how we want run offensively or defensively.
The latter of the two I think is the starting 5. I still don't love the idea of Flip playing 5 though. McCain gives us shooting and I'd worry about outside shooting having Stewart and Mark start together.

If Stewart is the real deal that certainly helps answer our 5 question. Between Flip, Young, Stewart and Reeves we should be okay. Young will be in the mix; and may be more effective as a 10 minute or so guy. He gives us experience up front; so it is hard to see him completely out of the rotation. Mitchell also looks bigger, so I expect a big year out of him. With Stewart's leaping ability he will need to watch the fouls. I saw him go for 2 pump fakes.

Reactions: Duke Blu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT