ADVERTISEMENT

Predict the 2019 Class

Check all players you think will commit to Duke.

• Total voters
Wow Lester looks good to me love that shot! And do we actually have a chance with Hurts? Looks like a great pickup

Duke is recruiting/offered
1. Carey OV Oct 19th...deciding in nov
2. Hurt....spring decision....
3. Stewart...who knows..
4. Ellis....OV. Oct 28th...

Duke isn't recruiting Cole or Lester at this time.

lester doesn't have an offer just yet, but i believe nate james is keeping tabs on him

I like recruits that are on the come up. A huge, and I mean HUGE flaw in HS rankings is how early they start. Ranking middle school kids (essentially all the reputable sites do this, if only internally) is flawed. It rewards kids that are simply bigger and more athletic than their peers.
The problem with this, is that once ranked very highly, the media/evaluators are loathe to drop them. In writeups, it is easier to talk about how a lower ranked player is playing well than to simply state reality: this previously highly ranked recruit isn't as good as we thought.
Often, it doesn't matter. The kids who have been top 1-4 for 3+ years probably are still among the best players in the class. But too often some kid that was top 10 in years past doesn't fall much past 20-30, even though the reality is he might not be top 50. I like the kids who are putting it together at the right time, as they age.

I like recruits that are on the come up. A huge, and I mean HUGE flaw in HS rankings is how early they start. Ranking middle school kids (essentially all the reputable sites do this, if only internally) is flawed. It rewards kids that are simply bigger and more athletic than their peers.
The problem with this, is that once ranked very highly, the media/evaluators are loathe to drop them. In writeups, it is easier to talk about how a lower ranked player is playing well than to simply state reality: this previously highly ranked recruit isn't as good as we thought.
Often, it doesn't matter. The kids who have been top 1-4 for 3+ years probably are still among the best players in the class. But too often some kid that was top 10 in years past doesn't fall much past 20-30, even though the reality is he might not be top 50. I like the kids who are putting it together at the right time, as they age.
I remember when Seventh Woods was a top 3 player in his class and the next Steve Francis....good times.

I remember when Seventh Woods was a top 3 player in his class and the next Steve Francis....good times.

The players I will always think of wrt this are Kyrie, Ingram, and Winslow. In that order.
Heading into his soph year, Kyrie was barely on the national radar. He was a top 25-15 player after his junior year of HS (pre-summer). Post summer, he was seen as a top 15-10 kid, but not one of the elite players in the class. Post All-star circuit, we realized he was the best guard in the class, easily. After the pro-am, we knew he was a stud.
Ingram was a kid ranked in the 10-20 range pre Sr year, but then showcased improved shooting, and grew, and became a top 2-3 player in the class. Winslow's rise wasn't as steep, but he went from being considered a pretty good wing player to being a near elite player from the middle of his junior season until the end of his senior season.
You want guys trending up, not those treading water. Even guys like Carey or Cole Anthony, whose rankings are static, show steady improvement. We "missed" on a few guys whose games seem to have stagnated a little. Those can be blessings in disguise.

The players I will always think of wrt this are Kyrie, Ingram, and Winslow. In that order.
Heading into his soph year, Kyrie was barely on the national radar. He was a top 25-15 player after his junior year of HS (pre-summer). Post summer, he was seen as a top 15-10 kid, but not one of the elite players in the class. Post All-star circuit, we realized he was the best guard in the class, easily. After the pro-am, we knew he was a stud.
Ingram was a kid ranked in the 10-20 range pre Sr year, but then showcased improved shooting, and grew, and became a top 2-3 player in the class. Winslow's rise wasn't as steep, but he went from being considered a pretty good wing player to being a near elite player from the middle of his junior season until the end of his senior season.
You want guys trending up, not those treading water. Even guys like Carey or Cole Anthony, whose rankings are static, show steady improvement. We "missed" on a few guys whose games seem to have stagnated a little. Those can be blessings in disguise.

They didn't want Ingram either. OFC

Hurt was never going to Kansas anyway..Hurt will be 19 and a half years old next fall he wants to be 1 and done. He wants 25+Mins a night. Not happening at ku they have 6 non senior frontcount players and expected to land JRE which he is a PF and a 5 star and a legacy .

The rumors here in Minnesota are that Hurt would like to play with his brother Michael, who will be a junior this season for the Gophers. Here's the caveat, though....Michael Hurt will graduate next spring and be eligible for a graduate transfer. So it's possible the school landing Matthew might be asked to take on his brother, as well.

The rumors here in Minnesota are that Hurt would like to play with his brother Michael, who will be a junior this season for the Gophers. Here's the caveat, though....Michael Hurt will graduate next spring and be eligible for a graduate transfer. So it's possible the school landing Matthew might be asked to take on his brother, as well.
What kind of player is his brother

Duke would almost certainly have room for both Hurt brothers, should circumstances dictate.

The comparison I've heard from Duke folks is Mike Dunleavy. Hurt is very skilled, an alpha scorer, very versatile. But he has so far not been very inclined to go inside and do the dirty work. So, the Kyle Singler comparisons fall apart on that point.

I listened on the Devils Den Podcast them comparing Hurt to a "stronger Ryan Kelly." Hurt is also the PERFECT stretch-4 for the offense K excels in directing.

Hurt obviously has defensive questions marks, a-la the Ryan Kelly comparison. A Vernon Carey or Isaiah Stewart playing the 5-man next to him though would help alleviate some of those defensive questions.

Duke would almost certainly have room for both Hurt brothers, should circumstances dictate.

The comparison I've heard from Duke folks is Mike Dunleavy. Hurt is very skilled, an alpha scorer, very versatile. But he has so far not been very inclined to go inside and do the dirty work. So, the Kyle Singler comparisons fall apart on that point.

This raises a concern I've had about Hurt. He's an elite scorer. Only, that probably means he's an elite scorer relative to HS players, with an elite level upside potential. Translation, he'll be a pretty good scorer at the college level. Better than the average frosh, but probably much better than average frosh big man.
On the downside, I'm afraid he's not going to be willing to defend and rebound at a high level, even relative to other frosh. Further, while Hurt has been very successful vs HS bigs, many of whom he's over a year older than, college bigs are a different caliber of defenders. He'll be facing juniors and seniors who've had years in college weight rooms and practiced/played for years vs high quality players.
Hurt is likely to flash a lot of potential next year. That potential could make him a lottery, or near lottery, draft pick after a OAD season.
Only I'm not sure how that helps a college team, like Duke, NEXT YEAR. If I knew that Hurt were a two year player, I'd be all over him. But I'm afraid he's a guy that has a marginal valued added quotient to a title caliber team, despite how good he'll look personally.

This raises a concern I've had about Hurt. He's an elite scorer. Only, that probably means he's an elite scorer relative to HS players, with an elite level upside potential. Translation, he'll be a pretty good scorer at the college level. Better than the average frosh, but probably much better than average frosh big man.
On the downside, I'm afraid he's not going to be willing to defend and rebound at a high level, even relative to other frosh. Further, while Hurt has been very successful vs HS bigs, many of whom he's over a year older than, college bigs are a different caliber of defenders. He'll be facing juniors and seniors who've had years in college weight rooms and practiced/played for years vs high quality players.
Hurt is likely to flash a lot of potential next year. That potential could make him a lottery, or near lottery, draft pick after a OAD season.
Only I'm not sure how that helps a college team, like Duke, NEXT YEAR. If I knew that Hurt were a two year player, I'd be all over him. But I'm afraid he's a guy that has a marginal valued added quotient to a title caliber team, despite how good he'll look personally.
I think Hurt would be a massive liability on defense, but if you link him with Isaiah Stewart (who should be a better defender than Vernon Carey, obviously nowhere near the scorer that Carey is though), than Stewart can fill a lot of the holes that Hurt would provide our defense.

Hurt's offensive game is exactly what we need though.

What kind of player is his brother

He played about 20 minutes per game last season for Minnesota. Not sure whether his role will increase or decrease this season. He only scored about three points per game. He is a decent defender, though. As a graduate transfer I'd expect he could provide a little....maybe 10 minutes per game? I don't know. He's not as good of a shooter as Melch was when he was here. A more fair comparison might be a David McClure-type.

He played about 20 minutes per game last season for Minnesota. Not sure whether his role will increase or decrease this season. He only scored about three points per game. He is a decent defender, though. As a graduate transfer I'd expect he could provide a little....maybe 10 minutes per game? I don't know. He's not as good of a shooter as Melch was when he was here. A more fair comparison might be a David McClure-type.
Nick Horvath?

I think Hurt would be a massive liability on defense, but if you link him with Isaiah Stewart (who should be a better defender than Vernon Carey, obviously nowhere near the scorer that Carey is though), than Stewart can fill a lot of the holes that Hurt would provide our defense.

Hurt's offensive game is exactly what we need though.

Yes, Hurt plus Stewart would work. But I think Duke will likely be attractive to only 1 newcomer next year.
For Hurt, his most likely competition for minutes would be Javin. I know that folks around these parts disregard such unimportant aspects as defense and rebounding when faced with offensive skill, but I'm less sanguine about those things. Next year, Javin will be a 6-10ish, 240ish lb explosive athlete whose forte is defense and rebounding. It might not be as sexy a skill set as launching 3s and driving, but what Javin does is the sort of thing that helps teams win titles.

Yes, Hurt plus Stewart would work. But I think Duke will likely be attractive to only 1 newcomer next year.
For Hurt, his most likely competition for minutes would be Javin. I know that folks around these parts disregard such unimportant aspects as defense and rebounding when faced with offensive skill, but I'm less sanguine about those things. Next year, Javin will be a 6-10ish, 240ish lb explosive athlete whose forte is defense and rebounding. It might not be as sexy a skill set as launching 3s and driving, but what Javin does is the sort of thing that helps teams win titles.

If the Dunleavy comparisons are accurate, Hurt could easily play the 3, where there will be some available playing time.

I don't know what parts you're talking about, but most Duke fans I know value defense and the role player.
We like the "sexy" skilled guy, as long as he is willing to play d.
Someone has to be a complete moron to not see the value guys like Delaurier and White bring to the table.

I want guys that leave it all out on the court for Duke and K. I don't give a fat baby's a** where these guys get drafted.

I don't know what parts you're talking about, but most Duke fans I know value defense and the role player.
We like the "sexy" skilled guy, as long as he is willing to play d.
Someone has to be a complete moron to not see the value guys like Delaurier and White bring to the table.

I want guys that leave it all out on the court for Duke and K. I don't give a fat baby's a** where these guys get drafted.
Amen Mac.....spot on

I listened on the Devils Den Podcast them comparing Hurt to a "stronger Ryan Kelly." Hurt is also the PERFECT stretch-4 for the offense K excels in directing.

Hurt obviously has defensive questions marks, a-la the Ryan Kelly comparison. A Vernon Carey or Isaiah Stewart playing the 5-man next to him though would help alleviate some of those defensive questions.

I’ve been making the comparison of Hurt and Ryan Kelly for a while however I think Hurt probably has the skill of a Kyle Singler and the body of Ryan Kelly during Kelly’s JR year (after getting 2+ years of strength and conditioning at Duke but prior to his foot injuries).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT