ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Duke Lacrosse Begins Postseason Play

Mark Gastineau

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Feb 26, 2009
Even though there is a thread about our lacrosse team in the Lounge, I wanted to start one here to make everyone aware of our games ahead. We play in the ACC tournament semifinals tomorrow night against Notre Dame at 8:30pm on ESPNU. HUGE game for us and a chance to avenge a heartbreaking loss to the Irish a few weeks ago. While most project us in the tournament field at this point, a win against the Irish would solidify our spot in the field of 16. This group of seniors (in particular Myles Jones and Deemer Class) have had a hell of a 4 years on campus, so you better check them out before they're gone.

If we win tomorrow night, we will play the winner of UNC-Syracuse on Sunday at 12pm on ESPNU for the ACC title. Set your DVRs accordingly fellas.

Oh how I'd love to play UNC again. Great game last time at Koskinen. Shoulda won that game. Hope Myles can get two more rings before going out as the best Middie to play at Duke.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
@ramlogistics, are you and Cam going to be in attendance down in Georgia? I'm actually headed to Atlanta on Saturday morning for a quick trip to visit some relatives. If we make it tothe championship game on Sunday, I might have to delay my departure. I'm sure my girlfriend will be thrilled, haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dad2ze
Tough semifinal for me...I have friends on both ends. Would have given anything for this to be the finals instead,

I am hoping for low scoring affair. That way, no matter what the outcome, I know my friends on the Blue Devil "D" would have done their jobs.

@ramlogistics, are you and Cam going to be in attendance down in Georgia? I'm actually headed to Atlanta on Saturday morning for a quick trip to visit some relatives. If we make it tothe championship game on Sunday, I might have to delay my departure. I'm sure my girlfriend will be thrilled, haha.
Hush Mark cannot afford to get hooked on another sport. My wife would kill me

Hush Mark cannot afford to get hooked on another sport. My wife would kill me
One game and you'll be hooked. Don't miss your chance to watch one of the most, if not the most, dominant players in the history of the sport. Myles Jones is a once in a lifetime player.

Myles is already the most accomplished mid to play at Duke! No Mark, Cam has a game Saturday then we're heading to Charlotte to watch them play Rochester and spend some time with Jordan. I think UNC gave us the blueprint to attacking ND's defense and I fully expect Rowe to own the X and our wings will be more involved. I also believe our D is much more prepared, it's like the light went off against UVA and they were communicating and sliding better than any other point of the season against Marquette. I really feel that us and UNC are playing better than anyone in the nation outside of maybe Brown, which will destroy UVA.

I was concerned in the first half as we played right into the ugly style ND wanted us to. UNC showed us the way, Kelly wins the faceoff and attacks downfield instead of backwards. Thank goodness we made the adjustment in the second. As thought Rowe owned the X and the wings did a much better job assisting. Our defense has really turned the corner and Dino is going deeper, rotating 5 poles so they're staying fresher. I love the matchup with Syracuse, it comes down to possessions so the Rowe/Williams battle will be key. Case was the unsung hero of this game in my opinion, he qb'd the offense beautifully.

Very proud of my man, Danny Boy in cage !!! He rose to the occasion during crunch time and made several big saves to keep the score tied at 9.

While I'd preferred to give the GA in the 6-7 range, the fact is that it looked like the "D" had a few breakdowns (played great otherwise) that led to uncontested 1-on-1s for the Irish.

As was stated perfectly above, the key to winning the conference title will be weather or not Rowe can go even with Williams...Both are elite in the X; if they split the face-offs, I think we are the more talented team overall.

Reactions: ramlogistics
Danny has been great of late, his save percentage now above 62%. No doubt the d broke down a few times mainly on hard dodges from x, which has caused Danny some problems this year. Those are extremely difficult plays to defend as a goalie, really takes a hard slide from the crease defender to push the attackman away from the cage. I agree that we are more talented and can attack from many different levels compared to Syracuse. We should have an easier time clearing against the Cuse rides and I expect Deemer to have another typical Deemer game against them. Something about that jersey that brings out his best. Keep Donahue and that #48 kid in check and we win this game by 2-3 goals.

Danny has been great of late, his save percentage now above 62%. No doubt the d broke down a few times mainly on hard dodges from x, which has caused Danny some problems this year. Those are extremely difficult plays to defend as a goalie, really takes a hard slide from the crease defender to push the attackman away from the cage. I agree that we are more talented and can attack from many different levels compared to Syracuse. We should have an easier time clearing against the Cuse rides and I expect Deemer to have another typical Deemer game against them. Something about that jersey that brings out his best. Keep Donahue and that #48 kid in check and we win this game by 2-3 goals.

I only really understand pieces of this, but let's do it! :)

I only really understand pieces of this, but let's do it! :)

Haha, so think back to when Paulus was our pg and how much trouble we had stopping the other teams athletic pg's from attacking the rim and the importance of the help defender. Basically the same thing.

Reactions: dbav
Wasn't this coach the douche bag that said he would never take a transfer from Duke?

Deja vu....We play well in the semis and then blow it in the finals.

They were so flat after the 2 hour weather today that they might as well have just gotten on the bus and went home.

Fowler had a high quantity of saves, bit it was the Orange goalie that made the big ones in the last 7:00.

At 11-7 (assuming they win next week), you have to assume if we get in, we will be a very low seed and have a really tough path.

Last edited:
Deja vu....We play well in the semis and then blow it in the finals.

They were so flat after the 2 hour weather today that they might as well have just got on the bus and went home.
4 straight goals from Cuse. I'm sure the weather was a factor. Duke was riding a huge energy boost from being 3 down and coming back before the break. They can have the Confidence Title, let's go after another Natty

They'll get in, but yeah will now hit the road. With a win today we may have worked our way to hosting a game. Syracuse just handled the delay much better but we shot ourselves in the foot with the inability to clear the ball. Just don't get why this team has struggled in the clear game. Williams got the best of the faceoff battle in the fourth and allowed them to pull away. Can't wait to see Brad Smith next year with Seau.

Somewhere in tarheelville mike nifong is rejoicing. OFC

Congrats to Myles Jones on being named ACC Offensive Player of the Year!

http://laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=49205

DURHAM, NC - Duke University senior midfielder Myles Jones has been named the 2016 ACC Men's Lacrosse Offensive Player of the Year the league office announced Tuesday afternoon. Jones is the second Blue Devil in three seasons to garner the accolade as voted by the five head coaches.

Jones joins Jordan Wolf as Blue Devils to win the Offensive Player of the Year award and is the seventh Blue Devil under John Danowski to win a major conference honor.

A two-time All-American and the 2015 L.T. j.g. Donald MacLaughlin Award winner as the nation's top midfielder, Jones will graduate from Duke arguably as the best midfielder in program history. In 2016, Jones is second on the team in scoring with 32 goals and 33 assists for 65 points. The total is the second highest in his career, while the 33 assists rank ninth in Duke history and four behind his total in 2015.

In his 17 starts, Jones has scored five-plus points five times, owns three hat tricks and has put together five performances with at least three assists. The Huntington, N.Y., tallied 11 points (5g, 6a) in the loss to North Carolina to tie the single-game record for points.

Jones made history in 2016, becoming the first midfielder in NCAA Division I lacrosse history to record 100 goals and 100 assists in his career. He currently holds the Duke single-season and career records for a midfielder in points and assists and ranks second in goals. Overall, his 226 points rank seventh in Duke history, while his 101 assists are fifth and his 125 goals are 13th. Jones ranks seventh on the single-season list in assists (37) and 11th in points (77). He is one of three midfielders in program history to record 40 goals in a season.

One of 11 Blue Devils all-time to earn All-ACC honors three times in his career, Jones' 226 points are the second most among midfielders in NCAA history, behind Gary Gait's 253. He is one of four midfielders to reach the 200-point benchmark and currently ranks second among all players in career points. The 40 goals he scored in 2015 are 22nd among midfielders in NCAA history.

Our final regular season game is Sunday at 12pm EST on the CBS Sports Network. We're playing Boston University and will hopefully get a nice tune-up for the tournament.

The tournament field will be announced Sunday night on ESPNU at 9pm I believe. I'm hopeful we can sneak into the #8 slot and host a first round game after Hopkins slipped up against Rutgers last night. Would love for our seniors to get one more game in Koskinen.

The tournament itself kicks off next weekend. So pumped for these next few weeks.

Our final regular season game is Sunday at 12pm EST on the CBS Sports Network. We're playing Boston University and will hopefully get a nice tune-up for the tournament.

The tournament field will be announced Sunday night on ESPNU at 9pm I believe. I'm hopeful we can sneak into the #8 slot and host a first round game after Hopkins slipped up against Rutgers last night. Would love for our seniors to get one more game in Koskinen.

The tournament itself kicks off next weekend. So pumped for these next few weeks.
Weird to have a game after the Acc tourney, is that a makeup?

Weird to have a game after the Acc tourney, is that a makeup?
Not a make up game. We've actually played a non-conference game after the ACC tournament the past couple of seasons. I imagine it's a way for Coach Danowski to have the guys knock off any rust that might have set in during finals week and prepare for a mid-major type opponent in the first round. Without this game, we would have had basically a two-week break between the ACC tournament and our opening round game. Just my take.

Not a make up game. We've actually played a non-conference game after the ACC tournament the past couple of seasons. I imagine it's a way for Coach Danowski to have the guys knock off any rust that might have set in during finals week and prepare for a mid-major type opponent in the first round. Without this game, we would have had basically a two-week break between the ACC tournament and our opening round game. Just my take.
Gotcha, good to know and clearly it's a system that has worked!

We picked up a nice win yesterday against Boston University in a tune-up for the tournament. The field was announced last night, and we drew a road game at Loyola in the first round Saturday at 12pm. I imagine the game will be on ESPNU. I'm not over the moon about our side of the bracket, as reaching the title game will likely involve going through both Denver and Notre Dame. That said, we have been playing much better/consistent as of late. Especially encouraged by the production from our second midfield line, in particular Brad Smith.

We picked up a nice win yesterday against Boston University in a tune-up for the tournament. The field was announced last night, and we drew a road game at Loyola in the first round Saturday at 12pm. I imagine the game will be on ESPNU. I'm not over the moon about our side of the bracket, as reaching the title game will likely involve going through both Denver and Notre Dame. That said, we have been playing much better/consistent as of late. Especially encouraged by the production from our second midfield line, in particular Brad Smith.
You're correct sir. The game will be televised on ESPNU.

Finally got around to watching the selection show off of DVR....As has been said already, a real brutal draw if you are a Blue Devil fan.

To go all the way, it may require wins over the 1,2,3, and 7 seeded teams in the tournament.

If the "D" holds up, it is doable with our high octane offense...However, I'd be lying if I said I was encouraged based on the draw.

Really hope he find a way to defy the odds....We lose so much scoring to graduation that after 2016, we might be looking at a bit of a rebuilding process...Even if some of the younger guys step up, it is going to be nearly impossible to replace the production of Myles (33-34-67), Deemer (49-11-60), Case (24-29-53), and Cohen (25-13-38).

Just my opinion, but I think our tourney run hinges on our second midfield line. We really need Brad Smith and company to continue producing so that Myles/Deemer/Chad have fresh legs in the second half of games.

Brad Smith's late season emergence has been huge, he's going to be a stud next year. Making it to Memorial Day Weekend is going to be a challenge, unfortunately their early season struggles put them in this position.

Yes it's going to be tough to replace Myles, Deemer, and Cohan and all they bring next year, however our attack line is going to potent to say the least with Gut and Bruck returning and inserting a big time dodger in Manown (prepping this year). Our defense is going to be extremely strong next year, only losing Ikeda & Coady. Seau will be back in the mix and Prendergast will get some run on offensive mid. With three top 10 players (all mids) coming in next year, Walsh #2, Lindsay #5, Quigley #8, they will all push for time and should provide more depth. If we can collectively get 100 pts from our two mid lines next year we'll be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT