ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- game 5- Duke Vs Bellarmine

Florida was down 17 to FSU at one point before FSU gave the game away. Not sure they get past Xavier. I think we can beat Xavier, but they are athletic. Xavier lost by 2 to a pretty good Indiana team. Indiana will probably crack the top 10 and may be the best team in the Big 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE
Oregon state is super bad. I have zero worry if we were to play against Xavier, we are too big and too athletic. Florida worries me a little.

Gonzaga would be a toss up. If Lively could contain Timme (easier said than done) then I really like our chances. I see that game as a chance for Lively to show just how elite he is, mainly on the defensive end.
OSU is big though, so that’ll negate Dukes advantage. Plus I’m not sold on this Duke team getting a lot of scoring unless they get a lot of offensive boards.

No I don’t . He’s a fifth year senior that has played in two different college systems . Yes he got yanked against Kansas because he could do nothing against them. From what everyone said he proved his self in big ten play against their level of competition. So he’s had two years at Rice, Two at Illinois’s ( I understand he was injured one of them) but for all the noise when he signed about his three point shooting percent 41 percent. Like I said if he continues his play like last night against better competition I’ll stop. But like Scheyer said , not every team is going to play that tight of a pack line defense so they knew the threes would be open then just had to take them and make them.
Yea you do. Evidently his "game" at Illinois was pretty good, or we would not have signed him. Whether you will admit it or not, college systems do vary. UVA, Duke, FSU, Va Tech do not mimick each other. Grandison needed, and still needs, time to adapt to what Scheyer wants to do. To suggest that because of his experience with other programs, a different group of players, and other coaches, he should be expected to seamleesly insert himslf into a new (for him) program under a different coaching staff and with a different mix of teammates makes zero sense. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion (unsupported tho it is) and to nit-pick all you want. In an earlier post I jumped the gun on Grandison myself based upon the Kansas game alone. I need to see more before offering another critique.

OFC

Yea you do. Evidently his "game" at Illinois was pretty good, or we would not have signed him. Whether you will admit it or not, college systems do vary. UVA, Duke, FSU, Va Tech do not mimick each other. Grandison needed, and still needs, time to adapt to what Scheyer wants to do. To suggest that because of his experience with other programs, a different group of players, and other coaches, he should be expected to seamleesly insert himslf into a new (for him) program under a different coaching staff and with a different mix of teammates makes zero sense. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion (unsupported tho it is) and to nit-pick all you want. In an earlier post I jumped the gun on Grandison myself based upon the Kansas game alone. I need to see more before offering another critique.

OFC
And your basing your opinion off what he has done against lower level competition throwing out that he did not produce in the Houston scrimmage or the Kansas game . He was brought into Duke for leadership ( haven’t seen much of it on the court as the offense at time looks very iso and stagnant ) and he’s three point shooting which he shot fine against Bellarmine but that’s because if you read some of my earlier post , he was open which is what he suppose to do but not every team is going to run a pack line defense as organized as Bellarmine.
By you saying he needs time to fit into what Scheyer and the staff wants them we should also throw out his scoring and shooting that he did at the other two schools . My main concern is that he’s a fifth year senior and no matter what offense you run a shooter is still going to know when and how to shoot . Not just one game .

He also didn't play from spring until well into the summer with a shoulder injury.
So that hurt his shooting ? Something he’s done for four previous years? All I need the kid to do is match his 41 percent shooting the rest of the season that’s all.

Player wise, my biggest takeaway from this game is that I may have underestimated how long it will take Whitehead to shake off the rust and get in game shape. I was thinking maybe 3 games, but I am now cautiously optimistic that he will be 100% after the break. Once all cylinders are firing, this team can compete with anyone in the country. I don't see any juggernauts out there, so I am anticipating a great season. Conversely, I am hoping the season leaves the kittycat and cheat fans with a sour taste in their mouth. UK is already doing their part:D

So that hurt his shooting ? Something he’s done for four previous years? All I need the kid to do is match his 41 percent shooting the rest of the season that’s all.
I take back my previous posts on Grandison. Your nit-picking was and is on point and deserved.

OFC

If Grandison would just shoot 30 percent from three I’ll take it .
Young is doing what was expected of him and I’m fine with saying in some ways exceeded what I thought he would do . Hard to teach hustle and hard work but he’s got tons of it .

Reactions: Mac9192
If Grandison would just shoot 30 percent from three I’ll take it .
Young is doing what was expected of him and I’m fine with saying in some ways exceeded what I thought he would do . Hard to teach hustle and hard work but he’s got tons of it .
I saw grandison go for a rebound against purdont and he literally pulled his hands and arms back in what looked like hesitation or fear. Not good - it summarizes his style…..not aggressive in the slightest.

Reactions: sheyduke
Come on now Chris. He’s played well in two games against mid majors. He’s a fifth year senior who’s shot 41percent last season. He’s had plenty of shots and some have been. Way off the mark

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982
So I can't like him and he played well in Portland? Not sure what you are disagreeing with.

So I can't like him and he played well in Portland? Not sure what you are disagreeing with.
Your saying that was the only time he didn’t play well was in Portland . I’m saying out of the eight games Duke has played he has only played well in two out of eight against mid majors

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT