ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- game 5- Duke Vs Bellarmine

You know, Lively and Whitehead are not even close to where they should be because of their injury setbacks. This team has great potential once everyone is back to full strength. Lively is getting there; Whitehead is a long way off, though.

Proctor taking shooting tips from Trevor Keels. Lively quiet again. We need to get him going. Hey Shey Grandison has 16 points! Blakes and Flip solid today.
Hey Chris we are playing Bellarmine . Should we even have this discussion? Where was he against Kansas? Bellarmine is a year from even being able to play in the tourney. What I saw tonight was they were willing to let Duke shoot threes all night long and jumpers as long as they didn’t get close to the basket .

• Haha
Reactions: christophero
Watched some highlights. Some thoughts.
1. Grandison has some shake to his game. That one footed pump fake was nice, and set up a 3 by him a few passes later. 2. Like the confidence Blakes is playing with. 3. Young had a quiet game(4 and 7), but he used his body and put some guys on the floor. He's physical. 4. I like when Flip uses the head fake and drives. He is a good FT shooter.

Watched some highlights. Some thoughts.
1. Grandison has some shake to his game. That one footed pump fake was nice, and set up a 3 by him a few passes later. 2. Like the confidence Blakes is playing with. 3. Young had a quiet game(4 and 7), but he used his body and put some guys on the floor. He's physical.
Where was Grandison and his 41 percent three point shooting against Kansas? Do you really thing he plays like that in the ACC against anyone outside the bottom half of the ACC?
Whitehead, Lively , Roach and Proctor need all the chemistry right now to allow this Duke team to reach its potential. Teams can live with Grandison hitting big numbers as long as those four aren’t .

Dude he had one bad game. People forget Grandison missed time this spring/summer as well.
Dude I watched the Illinois game the other night where they said and I quote ,” Grandison must be in witness protection and I doubt he would have seen many minutes on this team !” I’ll give him his props when he out plays Blakes against Virginia, Va tech, shoot even Georgia tech or Louisville. He’s a fifth year senior why shouldn’t he ball out against a D2 school just now in its second year in D 1 .
As far as his injury, he’s a fifth year senior competition only gets harder in the Acc. I could see if he was a sophomore .

Last edited:
Dude I watched the Illinois game the other night where they said and I quote ,” Grandison must be in witness protection and I doubt he would have seen many minutes on this team !” I’ll give him his props when he out plays Blakes against Virginia, Va tech, shoot even Georgia tech or Louisville. He’s a fifth year senior why shouldn’t he ball out against a D2 school just now in its second year in D 1 .
As far as his injury, he’s a fifth year senior competition only gets harder in the Acc. I could see if he was a sophomore.
Shey, no disrespect brother, but did Grandison kick your dog? You're clearly not a fan, and I am just trying to source the issue here, 😂

I like you Shey I'm just having fun. I enjoy watching this team they pass well and really get after it on D. And a 9 guy rotation. Flip is way more athletic than I thought, I was wrong about him I thought he'd be more like Hurt. I noticed Lively is a very good passer. Next week will be a big test.

Whitehead missed a lot of time. Since late summer. He reminds me of RJ Barrett a bit. Lively is coming on, but it's been a slow process. I think he will slowly improve and start to impact the game more. He is unselfish, almost to a fault. He made some nice passes tonight.

A grind it out win against a very pesky team. We definitely aren’t at top form, but that’s not a bad thing. Just so as long as we makes strides forward. The one positive is our ball movement. There isn’t a single guy that has played that hasn’t given the ball up to a more open guy.
That’s not something we’re used to seeing.

Neither team lit it up in the 2nd half, but Duke did limit them to 24 after the break.

Whitehead looks waaaaaaaay off from being the game changer we know he has the ability to be. Looks out of shape and less explosive. Barely got up on that dunk. But it’s understandable. A broken foot will do that you. Many have said it but i don’t expect much from him until after Christmas……the earliest. Hope this doesn’t sound critical of him. Thats not my intention. Just quelling expectations for myself amongst brethren.

Shey, no disrespect brother, but did Grandison kick your dog? You're clearly not a fan, and I am just trying to source the issue here, 😂
I don’t have an issue with the young man , thank he’s an ok player. I simply don’t see where he’s better at this moment then Blakes. I was glad to see him hit his open threes last night Duke will need that but the kid is a fifth year senior and was brought in for leadership and his shooting . I want to see him play like last night against ACC teams and not just subpar teams . That’s all.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I like you Shey I'm just having fun. I enjoy watching this team they pass well and really get after it on D. And a 9 guy rotation. Flip is way more athletic than I thought, I was wrong about him I thought he'd be more like Hurt. I noticed Lively is a very good passer. Next week will be a big test.
And if Grandison steps up and hits his shots like last night I will quit nit picking him a little . I just want the kid to show up in tougher games

Does that ever stop anyone though? Keels was told to come back from everyone in the program and former players too. And yet.....he left and definitely should have stayed.
I agree with you there. Sadly after 5 games only 1 guy on this roster could get PT in the League and that’s Flip.

Bellarmine is a solid team. Crazy, I have never even heard of them before yesterday!?! They put up a good fight, exactly what I like to see this time of year, a good test for our young team, no coasting. 40% three point shooting, 90% from the FT line, and single digit turnovers were the key takeaways for me. With those kinda numbers in ACC play, we will be a tough out for anyone. Our young players will settle into their roles, and on any given night I think we can expect extraordinary play from some and mediocre play from others.

I have to agree with Pisgah, and I hope we are both wrong, but the Lively situation has me very much thinking about the Giles situation a few years ago. I do wish him the best, and I hope he proves me wrong.

The nice thing about this team is if one or two guys are having an off night, the others can pick him up.

Grandison's had a couple subpar games and he got less PT. Same with Blakes. It's OK, others can get more burn in those games.

As to some announcer in the Big Ten's opinion about Grandison, I don't really care. They can watch Grandison play in mid March when their team is off on Spring Break.

I like that Lively and Young are completely different types of players. Flip and Mitchell too. Did Reeves even play last night? Or Schutt? Schutt should look at Blakes. If he works hard he can be in the rotation next year.

Reactions: Mac9192
And if Grandison steps up and hits his shots like last night I will quit nit picking him a little . I just want the kid to show up in tougher games
The kid is in fact showing up. 53.3% from the field, 35% from 3, only 4 TO's against 8 assists. Kansas was the one really "tough" game, and he started very poorly and was yanked after 10 minutes. But he is improving game by game since then. Him having only 4 games in the system, you need a lot more data to rationally criticize his game. OFC

They are bad. Xavier could give us problems. Florida is decent. Gonzaga looked good against Kentucky.
Oregon state is super bad. I have zero worry if we were to play against Xavier, we are too big and too athletic. Florida worries me a little.

Gonzaga would be a toss up. If Lively could contain Timme (easier said than done) then I really like our chances. I see that game as a chance for Lively to show just how elite he is, mainly on the defensive end.

Reactions: christophero
The kid is in fact showing up. 53.3% from the field, 35% from 3, only 4 TO's against 8 assists. Kansas was the one really "tough" game, and he started very poorly and was yanked after 10 minutes. But he is improving game by game since then. Him having only 4 games in the system, you need a lot more data to rationally criticize his game. OFC
No I don’t . He’s a fifth year senior that has played in two different college systems . Yes he got yanked against Kansas because he could do nothing against them. From what everyone said he proved his self in big ten play against their level of competition. So he’s had two years at Rice, Two at Illinois’s ( I understand he was injured one of them) but for all the noise when he signed about his three point shooting percent 41 percent. Like I said if he continues his play like last night against better competition I’ll stop. But like Scheyer said , not every team is going to play that tight of a pack line defense so they knew the threes would be open then just had to take them and make them.

I agree with you there. Sadly after 5 games only 1 guy on this roster could get PT in the League and that’s Flip.
It's amazing how many leave way too soon now, and it's not just at Duke. I wish they would make the age 18 for the NBA, make it so that if you go to college, it must be for at least two years, and be done with it.

Reactions: Fourteen44
I don't think the Lively we've seen so far can contain Timme. But I think we could beat them. They shot great against Kentucky and terrible against Texas. Depends what team shows up.

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT