ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk a little Duke football.

dbav if you watched the last 6 games WE CLEARLY did a massive nosedive....Sure we looked great in BATTLING U of L, Va Tech Georgia Tech and yes GETTING THE BELL BACK vs UNC.....After that, for whatevrr reason the WAVE CRASHED, and we went down 96-35.

Major disappointment when we were still battling for a bowl, and should have been poised to continue to play our BEST BALL! Thus I would agree w/you when we improved as year went on from say the horrendous loss to a 2-10 UVA team to Louisville to UNC...Unfortunately the final two weeks negated a possible bowl, and couldnt put the best taste in recruits mouths...

I am all for Cut too, I just want some "tweeks" as well, perhaps overhauls....Our pass coverage and kicking game cannot get much worse...

OFC

just because we can point out the obvious problems doesnt mean we are anti cut. he has been a godsend to this program. but along with this he has given us greater expectations. you dont have to be a football genius to realize that recievers running open game after game on us is an issue that never got addressed. we also dont seem to make the half time adjustments that other teams do. just because the bubble screen worked twice in the first half doesnt mean you need to run it 8 times in the second half. other teams adjust. i think all we are saying is that we hope we diversify a little next year. plus i like to think that the 4 first year coaches we had this year will be better

Reactions: hart2chesson
just because we can point out the obvious problems doesnt mean we are anti cut. he has been a godsend to this program. but along with this he has given us greater expectations. you dont have to be a football genius to realize that recievers running open game after game on us is an issue that never got addressed. we also dont seem to make the half time adjustments that other teams do. just because the bubble screen worked twice in the first half doesnt mean you need to run it 8 times in the second half. other teams adjust. i think all we are saying is that we hope we diversify a little next year. plus i like to think that the 4 first year coaches we had this year will be better

This!

OFC

Sky I have NEVER questioned Cut's ability to coach and I support him fully. Hes worth every penny of the 1.7 mil hes paid annually....Unfortunately our assistants arent coaching the guys up properly, and schmeatically we are falling far too short in areas like pass coverage, special teams, etc....

Besides its not totally up to Cut. I think Dr Kevin White may indeed suggest off season changes per staff and/or overhaul things like our defensive coverage, D staff.(hes spearheaded a lot of the fundraising into Duke football)..I have followed Duke football since the Murray era and the last two weeks were two of the WORST 2ND HALVES I have witnessed back to back.....After the UNC GAME, team/staff relaxed when a bowl bid and revenge at Miami should have been prioritized.

I will submit this-Cut does need to get 6 wins next year. Hes not getting any younger, and back to back losing campaigns in his 10th year would not bode well for his future.Hes established WINNING at Duke, and he could fall prey to the Jim Grobe type slide at Wake a few short years ago....

OFC

Didn't mean it to sound that way hart to you or any of the other guys. It's probably just me. I get t thinking how it was before Coach Cut got here. Of course I want us to improve but this was one of those years when nothing went right. We lost several starters. Good starters that were hard to replace although Daniel Jones is a gem. We lost d backs, a tight end , running backs, a linebacker and I could have left out some. It's no ones fault, just the way it happened. Looking forward to 2017 in a positive way and I hope Coach Cut retires here. OFC

Understood. I didn't meant to imply anyone was anti Cut because I don't believe they are. I guess I just see more reasons to be optimistic.

Didn't mean it to sound that way hart to you or any of the other guys. It's probably just me. I get t thinking how it was before Coach Cut got here. Of course I want us to improve but this was one of those years when nothing went right. We lost several starters. Good starters that were hard to replace although Daniel Jones is a gem. We lost d backs, a tight end , running backs, a linebacker and I could have left out some. It's no ones fault, just the way it happened. Looking forward to 2017 in a positive way and I hope Coach Cut retires here. OFC
Understood. I didn't meant to imply anyone was anti Cut because I don't believe they are. I guess I just see more reasons to be optimistic.

With both you guys 100%- you both know that and we all love Duke!! Last 2 wks were just a bummer!

OFC

Reactions: dbav and skysdad
Sky, dbav we are all in accord and 100% behind Cut and Duke football! I respect surf just like I respect you guys, and know he really follows it CLOSELY! (He gets lots of scoop, particularly in recruiting).He made some terrofic points as did DevilInside...

If we can shore up the leaky pass defense, and improve special teams (guys we need a kicker!!!) theres no reason we cannot get back to a bowl. (O-Line needs to protect DJ better too!)

One silver lining of the year, and Sky talked about this before it ever happened- we got retribution against UNC for the vandalism in Durham 2 years ago with the win!(natl tv too!) This SHOULD be an in-state recruiting BUILDING BLOCK!!

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I'm good with everyone here. :)

Keep fighting fellas (meant for the Blue Devils, not you guys, haha).

Last edited:
Well I guess the best thing to do is go ahead and fire Coach Cut. Got any ideas on a replacement. I'm sure there are just several top notch coaches out there just itching to coach Duke. How about Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher or Nick Saban. I know go get Bobby Patrino. Now there's a coach with character and integrity. Maybe we could get Butch Davis. Yeah I know he just got a job but you know he's wanting to get back into the ACC. He could bring his old unc staff with him. It seems like we keep on questioning our coach. Just remember he really hung in there with us when the chips were really down and had so many opportunities to go to higher rated football programs than Duke so I think we owe him the benefit of hanging with him through this tough out of the ordinary season. OFC
I have never even remotely suggested firing CUT. My comments were directed at DC, special teams coordinator, and DB coaches. Cut has exceeded expectations every year (except maybe this one), but as the schedule continues to get more difficult, the status quo on coordinators and schemes must change.
[

so jake marwede just got named his states gatoraide player of the year. congrats to him on this huge honor. maybe rivals review guys should go back and relook at how the best player in a state only gets 3 stars.

Last edited:
so i know everybody is in full panic/ discussion mode about our bball struggles but.......
2 high school all american games on today that affect duke
derrick tangelo and rakavius chambers in offensive-defensive all american bowl at 5.30
jake marwede and will taylor in under armour all american bowl at 1 on espn
ps will taylor was named captain for his under armour team. nice honor

Last edited:
so i know everybody is in full panic/ discussion mode about our bball struggles but.......
2 high school all american games on today that affect duke
derrick tangelo and rakavius chambers in offensive-defensive all american bowl at 5.30
jake marwede and will taylor in under armour all american bowl at 1 on espn

Surf thx as always w/your solid insights, you're a trusted and valuable source! Any rumblings of transfers, commits wavering or staff changes???

OFC

Are the guys you mentioned committed or still considering us?

verbal commits all. i hope and think we keep all four thru signing day.
ps, just a pet peave of mine with rivals but once they grade a duke guy they never go back and adjust. jake gets state gatorade player of year and under armor all american and yet stays 3 stars? will leads team to state title in georgia in 7a, named all state and gets named UAAA and barely gets 3 stars? they have never adjusted derricks status. he played both sides of the line but stated from his very first interview that he was a dt for us. rivals still lists him as an ol prospect plus have his weight off by 30 lbs. he has been playing at 295 plus all year guys. also he made a postseason all american game (granted not one of the two major ones) and rivals experts give him 2 stars? also props to rak for his AA bid and all state in ala.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbav
so with time on my hands and football on in the background i thought i would give some of my new years wishes and hopes for our team.
#1 very happy that we seem to be addressing our dline the last couple of years in recruiting. instead of just bulking up de/lbs. we seem to actually getting dts out of high school. this year we have derrick tangelo 6'2'' 297, axel nyembwe 6'2'' 290, , ben frye 6'3'' 260 de/dt ( i list him at both due his statement that he adds weight easily and will play which ever spot the coaches want him to) add in our highest rated recruit of drew jordan 6'2'' 240 de/olb and we seem to be helping our defensive front greatly. what i keep reading and seeing is that they would like to sign one more dt or de prospect. if that happens i could see jordan moving to olb due to his size
#2 would love to see us go to a more traditional 4-3 defense. we have so many good kids at lb on the roster that it seems a shame to keep them on the bench. tinashe bere, xander gagnon, joe giles harris, brandon hill, ben humphries, koby quansah and zavier carmichael. i think you could add brandon feamster along with this years recruits of rumph and jordan and that is alot of talent for 2 spots.
#3 loving last years and this years recruits for the ol. we are getting size and attitude in these classes which we need. patrick leitten 6'8'' 270 ot, jacob rimmer 6'7'' 280 ot, will taylor 6'4'' 280 c, rackavius chambers 6'3'' 275 og. 3 all staters and 2 playing in AA games. nice.
#4 also loving that the secondary kids we are now starting to get are 6' or taller. with todays wide recievers getting so much bigger our dbs needed to also get bigger. now if only we could coach them to be in the right spots....
#5 hoping and praying that our kickers will come back next year with confidence and determination. i think we saw what a good kicking game means to us this year.
#6 lets all hope that the injury bug that hit us this year is gone. it got us badly.
#7 i want the coaches to be better. we had 4 new or first time guys last year and it showed. hopefully they will address the problems we all saw with the coaching. second year so they should all have their feet under them so to speak.
also happy new years to all who visit this football board!!!!!!!

by the way dont know if people realize we played 10 bowl teams and could have won eight of them.
nccu conf champ and lost their bowl
wake bowl winner
northwestern bowl winner
army bowl winner
louisville bowl loser
ga tech bowl winner
va tech bowl winner
unc bowl gagger
pitt bowl loser
miami bowl winner
only two teams we played who did not go bowling were ND and UVA. pitt and miami were the only 2 games we had no shot in. we just folded those last 2 games. UVA game will haunt me because of the turnovers. daniels worst game by far and we still had a chance.

Last edited:
verbal commits all. i hope and think we keep all four thru signing day.
ps, just a pet peave of mine with rivals but once they grade a duke guy they never go back and adjust. jake gets state gatorade player of year and under armor all american and yet stays 3 stars? will leads team to state title in georgia in 7a, named all state and gets named UAAA and barely gets 3 stars? they have never adjusted derricks status. he played both sides of the line but stated from his very first interview that he was a dt for us. rivals still lists him as an ol prospect plus have his weight off by 30 lbs. he has been playing at 295 plus all year guys. also he made a postseason all american game (granted not one of the two major ones) and rivals experts give him 2 stars? also props to rak for his AA bid and all state in ala.
Thank you for the updates.I don't follow fb recruiting like I do bb because a FB commitment does not have the finality of BB commitments

As I watched the Auburn placekicker, I couldn't help but comment to my wife that if he has a 12 year old brother, Duke ought to sign him up now! The difference in quality in the kicking game for these major bowl teams vs. what we had last year is remarkable.

so adam at 247 is reporting we are getting a senior grad transfer from ohio state.
evan lisle 6'6'' 308
was 4 star in 2013 #76 nationally #6 ot
never quite panned out for osu but think he could be good for us.

so adam at 247 is reporting we are getting a senior grad transfer from ohio state.
evan lisle 6'6'' 308
was 4 star in 2013 #76 nationally #6 ot
never quite panned out for osu but think he could be good for us.

We did well with our last transfer from Ohio Suck. I'm on board.

I cannot speak for Surf( he does a heckuva job here keeping us up to speed on Duke football). I can only hypothesize, but depending on Kat's development in spring practice who knows about our backup situation???

Boehme seemed to fall out of favor w/Cut last year, even as Jones struggled mightily EARLY. I dont really think hes sold on Harris as a back-up, and Sirk's comeback isnt GUARANTEED at least in my mind until we see him ON THE FIELD at some point next season.

Put all that together and I honestly think Cut wants to get a look at Chris in spring ball for insurance purposes....JMO....

OFC

so what i hear and kinda read between the llines is that katrenick is coming in to get that extra session in so that just in case he could be ready for a backup role IF IF IF somethings dont break right. sirk is trying to come back from multiple surgeries on his achilles with. no guarantee that it will go well or that he will be able to play or contribute. he has earned the right to try but this would be a rare feat to pull off. also seems that there is concern over the development shown last year by parker and harris. from what i read and hear neither one showed any advancement. who knows but the coaches really want every option on the table. they would like for him to keep his redshirt but just in case.....
also notre dame offered deon jackson last night. here come the big boys trying to poach our best recruits. next 3 weeks are going to be interesting. cmon signing day!!!!!

I'm ready for the new season. When does it start? :)

so an answer to many duke fans prayers. jackson hubbard from dallas texas who is a well reviewed p/pk committed to us tonight. gonna be some competition which is good for all of us

Thank you surf for all the updates on our football team. I value your love of Duke football. OFC

so here are a few tidbits from other sites
everyone who is trustworthy on the other boards say that deon jackson is sticking with us.
victor dimukeje visited this weekend. if we can wrap him up that gives us another good de/dt prospect to develop. has a total of 38 offers but these are the other power 5. michigan state, va tech, maryland, rutgers, virginia, wake, pitt, boston college, indiana, iowa state, mizzou, purdue and west virginia. he would be a good get for us.
will taylors brother john is coming as a walk on long snapper. rated #32 in nation so cant hurt
axel nyembwe is the only commit who is still talking seriously to other recruiters. this is good news for us in that all of our highly rated guys are sticking.
so one thing i am really happy about is that we seem to have actually had a good year on the defensive front for a change. if axel sticks and we get victor then wow. really addressing our weakest area.
drew jordan de/olb
ben frye de/dt
derrick tangelo dt
axel nyembwe dt
if we add victor dimukeye de/dt
then there is chris rumph who is listed as a de but i think ends up at lb

so on 247 there have been 11 crystal ball predictions of victor to duke.
so of course the b******** that we know as notre dame offer him this afternoon. hopefully he follows deons route and says thanx but no.

Last edited:
so here are a few tidbits from other sites
everyone who is trustworthy on the other boards say that deon jackson is sticking with us.
victor dimukeje visited this weekend. if we can wrap him up that gives us another good de/dt prospect to develop. has a total of 38 offers but these are the other power 5. michigan state, va tech, maryland, rutgers, virginia, wake, pitt, boston college, indiana, iowa state, mizzou, purdue and west virginia. he would be a good get for us.
will taylors brother john is coming as a walk on long snapper. rated #32 in nation so cant hurt
axel nyembwe is the only commit who is still talking seriously to other recruiters. this is good news for us in that all of our highly rated guys are sticking.
so one thing i am really happy about is that we seem to have actually had a good year on the defensive front for a change. if axel sticks and we get victor then wow. really addressing our weakest area.
drew jordan de/olb
ben frye de/dt
derrick tangelo dt
axel nyembwe dt
if we add victor dimukeye de/dt
then there is chris rumph who is listed as a de but i think ends up at lb

Signing day approaching FAST!!! Thks for very positive update surf...I think Jackson sticks!

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT