ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Wright leaving Villanova

Wow wow wow. Wonder what caused this? Hopefully his health is good and he can enjoy his retirement. I think we all can agree he's a really really good coach

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
What a shocker. Ton of respect for Jay Wright. Sad to see him go. Confused on why he’s leaving though. He’s only 60 with a full head of hair.

The article states he’s stepping away for the same reasons as Roy did and K . Tired of the grind and the way the sport is headed.

My father knew him a bit from his Hofstra days. By all accounts a good guy. Wonder if Nova will slip like St. Johns and Georgetown now.

The article states he’s stepping away for the same reasons as Roy did and K . Tired of the grind and the way the sport is headed.
What article said that? That’s what I would guess as why he’s stepping down. The game is changing fast. The big from Kentucky I’ve heard will make $2 million over the next year? This is nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
What article said that? That’s what I would guess as why he’s stepping down. The game is changing fast. The big from Kentucky I’ve heard will make $2 million over the next year? This is nuts.
The one on cbs sports

Sad to see. Jay is a great person and had the chance to meet him at a wedding a few years back. Super friendly and personable guy. Wish him the best. Big loss for CBB.

Reactions: christophero
The one on cbs sports
Kind of disagree with you, Shey. The article is a pure guess as to why Jay, K, and Ole Roy retired. Not one of them has ever publicly mentioned those events as reasons for their retirement. K is 75. That alone is reason enough. K said he was retiring in order to spend more time with his family, and I resent the unfounded insinuation that he left for the reasons mentioned in the article. K was not using his family to cover up alleged frustration with changes occurring in college basketball. OFC

Kind of disagree with you, Shey. The article is a pure guess as to why Jay, K, and Ole Roy retired. Not one of them has ever publicly mentioned those events as reasons for their retirement. K is 75. That alone is reason enough. K said he was retiring in order to spend more time with his family, and I resent the unfounded insinuation that he left for the reasons mentioned in the article. K was not using his family to cover up alleged frustration with changes occurring in college basketball. OFC
They all could still coach but they all decided it’s a younger game now. They started out when you didn’t have to watch what you said and how you got after a player. IMO, I’ve always said K would stay as long as his grandson was there . I though four but he graduated in three. I also IMO still say the Jalen Johnson saga was K’s final nail to retire . For Roy it was when he started noticing players didn’t care on their input( Bullock and Hairston ) about going pro . I just think they don’t like the direction in general of college basketball and all three have been noted as saying the NCAA needs a complete overhaul.

I thought the article was sensibly written and made good points. The author made clear when his comments were based on conjecture and when they were sourced. And the notion that K was less than enthused about the way CBB is heading is hardly an original or surprising thought. A number of Duke fans have surmised, over the last couple of years, that K would get fed up with having to try to run program with the transfer portal. I thought he would have retired at the end of last year but did not want it all to end with the covid year as his last and so came back for one final season The fact that the changing landscape may gave taken so much out of him that he decided that it was time to stop and spend his days with his family is not a bad thing and, in fact, happens in all sorts of jobs where the old dogs are not interested in the new tricks and give way to the. next generation. And, you can want to spend more time with your family while at the same time being frustrated with the current job. One is not a "cover up" for the other.

Jay Wright gave off the appearance of a coach that did things the right way. However, I don’t buy NIL as the reason guys are stepping down. Players have been getting paid forever, whether that was under the table or now in plain sight. NIL is a good thing, college basketball is now returning stars. The transfer portal and the massive roster changes each year I think is what is driving coaches crazy. Adapt or move on, all good teams now need at least 1 quality transfer a year.

I also think Jay Wright is no different than any other high major coach when it comes to doing whatever it takes to win, he just looks cleaner in a suit.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
They all could still coach but they all decided it’s a younger game now. They started out when you didn’t have to watch what you said and how you got after a player. IMO, I’ve always said K would stay as long as his grandson was there . I though four but he graduated in three. I also IMO still say the Jalen Johnson saga was K’s final nail to retire . For Roy it was when he started noticing players didn’t care on their input( Bullock and Hairston ) about going pro . I just think they don’t like the direction in general of college basketball and all three have been noted as saying the NCAA needs a complete overhaul.
I have no problem with you stating your opinion, but, in your prior post, you stated "facts" based on a speculative article as to why K left. If K left because he did not like the direction of college basketball, I believe he would have said so. Your "circumstantial evidence" as to K's motives, when weighed against his character and actual words, is hardly compelling. While your guesses in your most recent post may be within the realm of remote possibility, they certainly don't rise to the level of probability absent some real supporting facts. OFC

Reactions: QC Dukie
I thought the article was sensibly written and made good points. The author made clear when his comments were based on conjecture and when they were sourced. And the notion that K was less than enthused about the way CBB is heading is hardly an original or surprising thought. A number of Duke fans have surmised, over the last couple of years, that K would get fed up with having to try to run program with the transfer portal. I thought he would have retired at the end of last year but did not want it all to end with the covid year as his last and so came back for one final season The fact that the changing landscape may gave taken so much out of him that he decided that it was time to stop and spend his days with his family is not a bad thing and, in fact, happens in all sorts of jobs where the old dogs are not interested in the new tricks and give way to the. next generation. And, you can want to spend more time with your family while at the same time being frustrated with the current job. One is not a "cover up" for the other.
Everything you say is certainly possible, but all we have are Coach K's words as to why he left. My problem with the article and Shey's post is that they ascribed only one cause for the departures. As far as your post is concerned, I think it sets forth reasonable additional factors which could have possibly influenced K's decision. However, given my belief in Coach K and the total absence of any indication from him to the contrary, I think family and his age were his sole deciding factors. OFC

Reactions: QC Dukie
Everything you say is certainly possible, but all we have are Coach K's words as to why he left. My problem with the article and Shey's post is that they ascribed only one cause for the departures. As far as your post is concerned, I think it sets forth reasonable additional factors which could have possibly influenced K's decision. However, given my belief in Coach K and the total absence of any indication from him to the contrary, I think family and his age were his sole deciding factors. OFC
I don’t think NIL had much to do with it and by and large I think most coaches agree and are supportive of it in many ways. And while we can take K at his word that it was simply age and wanting to spend time with the grandkids, etc. we can also look at his many many comments in which he publicly crushed the NCAA and where college basketball has gone due to the lack of leadership at the top. The transfer portal and the constantly changing rules, requirements and regulations probably only added to the decision. In addition, privately he has certainly had conversations with people I’d trust to tell me accurately how he feels, it was time for him to go. It’s absolutely a younger man’s game now, and he even mentioned this year how much it helped him that he didn’t have to go on the road recruiting this past year. So in summation, probably a large combination of factors, but not simply wanting to spend more time with the fam, although I’m sure he’s genuine in that sentiment.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Other than K, there isn't a coach I admire more than Wright. He built Villanova into the flagship program of the Big East. I know Nova had some good teams in the past but they were never as consistently good as they were under Wright. I'd be bummed if I were a Nova fan. I thought he'd be around 10 more years. It seemed sudden so hopefully no health issues. it is a high stress job.

Other than K, there isn't a coach I admire more than Wright. He built Villanova into the flagship program of the Big East. I know Nova had some good teams in the past but they were never as consistently good as they were under Wright. I'd be bummed if I were a Nova fan. I thought he'd be around 10 more years. It seemed sudden so hopefully no health issues. it is a high stress job.
I agree but also would like to add Tony Bennett to my list.

I have no problem with you stating your opinion, but, in your prior post, you stated "facts" based on a speculative article as to why K left. If K left because he did not like the direction of college basketball, I believe he would have said so. Your "circumstantial evidence" as to K's motives, when weighed against his character and actual words, is hardly compelling. While your guesses in your most recent post may be within the realm of remote possibility, they certainly don't rise to the level of probability absent some real supporting facts. OFC
I just said what the article did but a lot of coaches won’t go on record saying they don’t like the direction of college basketball because if anyone thinks NIL isn’t going to lead to players finally legally getting paid to attend a college we can all guess again . I think having to sale both your program and how much money they can make while there takes away from what older coaches got into coaching for . Just my opinion though.

Sounds like it had been in the making since they already hired The Fordham head coach.

With you on Jay. I’d add Izzo and Few to that mix as well.

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT