ADVERTISEMENT

Is DUKE's present team a legit 10 deep rotation?

Never really said Duke gave him a scholarship for medical it’s just one of the reasons that helped him pick Duke. His knees were always in bad shape . I remember a poster with inside knowledge saying his knees were cause for concern due to the length he went with out proper treatment to correct the situation. Any ways it’s a mute topic at this point and I do believe proctor gets the starting nod especially with Whitehead out.
Proctor reclassified to play minutes, but this team is just not a for sure bet at no position but PG. They all are good and potentially ready to start. My concerns are matchups and chemistry. This is why I see this as such a deep team.

I loved the tuxedo that Obi wore in the Final Four. I bet that it helped his teammates smile and keep loose

The last few threads have been extremely interesting and lively...full of spirit. So here is my question to the FAITHFUL. Can this team go 10 deep every game, including conference play?

Yes, I believe some will be a bit bothered, but for the sake of winning a NT, can it happen?

If this season goes like past years we will probably be down to an eight man rotation because of foot or lower body injuries. OFC

Reactions: jamsession3
Never really said Duke gave him a scholarship for medical it’s just one of the reasons that helped him pick Duke. His knees were always in bad shape . I remember a poster with inside knowledge saying his knees were cause for concern due to the length he went with out proper treatment to correct the situation. Any ways it’s a mute topic at this point and I do believe proctor gets the starting nod especially with Whitehead out.
Here's what you said.

"signed with Duke for the medical treatment."

Here's what you said.

"signed with Duke for the medical treatment."
Yes but didn’t say Duke gave him the scholarship due to needing medical treatment. If I recall it was something the staff laid out to help him better reshape his upper body and lower movements in order to help relieve the amount of pressure he was putting on his knees that was one of the deciding factors in choosing Duke .

Reactions: geddoughton23
I've been hearing/reading incredible things about Proctor. He is going to be a lethal 3 point shooter with a lot better handles than anticipated. I'm all in on Proctor being a legit starter from day 1 and 'unfortunately' leaving us after 1 year because he is that good.

Roach/Dariq: 33 min. each

Flip/Proctor/Lively: 25 min. each

Mitchell/Grandison: 20 min. each

Young: 15 min.

That leaves 4 min. for either Schutt or Blakes and 0 for the transfers.

Of course we have injuries/foul trouble/bad games and blowouts.

That's how I see it.

Sorry WilCampbell I know you don't think we should go there yet.

Reactions: geddoughton23

That's how I see it.

I think this sounds about right for ACC play. Hopefully the minutes are a bit more spread out before ACC play.

Only thing I'd say is that if this was Coach K we could expect 37/38 min for Roach each night. Will be interesting to see if Sheyer leans as heavily on his experienced PG as K would have.

I'm very excited to see this year's team. Some serious athletes on this team. They should be scary for anyone this year. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: christophero

That's how I see it.

This is how I see it if you average out the course of the season. In big ACC games, I could see Roach/Dariq being up near 38. I also think it's gonna be tough to keep Mitchell off the floor, I'd have him at 25+ MPG.

If Proctor is indeed that good we could have a big season. Despite the youth it is a very talented team.
Proctor is that good. Just have to wait and see how good his step back will be in college. He utilizes it a lot on his three point shot.

The more I watch each player individually, I come closer to believing the staff will attempt to play a deep bench this year. Those guys are going to challenge each other in practice in the best and worst way.

Something I am excited for is our man-to-man defense with Mitchell in the game. Roach, Grandison, Whitehead, Mitchell, Lively could be a force on defense. Whitehead should be solid defensively (way above average for a FR) and Mitchell can guard any position.

If Flip is THAT good on offense, which he could be. Do we become a zone team? I worry about him guarding 4's out on the perimeter. We have had this problem before with Bagley & Ryan Kelly. Paolo struggled some defensively last year, though I think it was more effort driven than anything. He was outstanding defensively in the tournament.

Reactions: timritterus
Something I am excited for is our man-to-man defense with Mitchell in the game. Roach, Grandison, Whitehead, Mitchell, Lively could be a force on defense. Whitehead should be solid defensively (way above average for a FR) and Mitchell can guard any position.

If Flip is THAT good on offense, which he could be. Do we become a zone team? I worry about him guarding 4's out on the perimeter. We have had this problem before with Bagley & Ryan Kelly. Paolo struggled some defensively last year, though I think it was more effort driven than anything. He was outstanding defensively in the tournament.
If there is a shot blocker waiting, force the man to the bucket. I'm of the belief we have some solid perimeter defenders, but when times get tough the shot blocker is waiting. Big Mark, Sheldon, Carter, and even Zion bailed out many near the basket.

Reactions: HurleyToHill
Freshman are generally not good defenders. Last year our best defenders were Mark, Moore and Roach. I remember reading what good defenders Banchero and AJ were going to be. I guess Keels was decent. Keels didn't really stick out one way or the other to me. Banchero was good in the tournament. Whitehead could be, Lively could be. But I'd like to see more fire in Lively, he seems a little passive. Flip has some work to do. Proctor could actually be a good defender.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamsession3

Did you really say Roach ? He has a lot to show on the defensive end especially on bigger pg’s .

He's a good defender against anyone but Love, who lights him up like a Christmas tree.
It’s more then Love . There’s no Keels or Moore this season so defense at pg will be needed but then again this is where I see Blake’s stealing some minutes .

Roach also struggled in the final four game and in the TT game, where coach switched Moore to PG down the stretch. So Roach improved, but he's not quite elite yet. But he could get there. He certainly showed flashes of being an elite PG. But he had a lot of talent around him.

I just hope our defense gets better as the season progresses. I didn't see a lot of progress last year, especially from Joey (in the few minutes he played) and Griffin. I agree that Paolo finally came on in the tournament. But remember how Va. Tech lit us up and then couldn't get a good shot when they played in the NCAA tournament.

Freshman are generally not good defenders. Last year our best defenders were Mark, Moore and Roach. I remember reading what good defenders Banchero and AJ were going to be. I guess Keels was decent. Keels didn't really stick out one way or the other to me. Banchero was good in the tournament. Whitehead could be, Lively could be. But I'd like to see more fire in Lively, he seems a little passive. Flip has some work to do. Proctor could actually be a good defender.
Keels size hid his deficits on the perimeter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT