ADVERTISEMENT

Is DUKE's present team a legit 10 deep rotation?

Alas, I fear that you are not joking. I am getting close to thinking some rival fan has a voodoo doll. We may have to call the Winchesters. Just kidding, I think.

Reactions: christophero
A lot of the healing will depend on where the fracture is on the foot, anyone have any particulars of anatomical location?

I think the fifth metatarsal. I am not a doctor, but I do wonder whether the problem was developing over the course of the summer rather than just a sudden impact.
Agreed. Prob a wear and tear injury. I trust their medical staff, but I would love to see the percentage of foot injuries for Duke vs other programs. You would think they may already investigate this.

Luckily we have depth, but the team is learning how to play with one another and they will have to do that again when he returns. Probably not the ideal year for this to happen, but it is what it is. Proctor has an opportunity to shine. A guy like Grandison becomes very important now, so let's get him healthy. As long as Dariq and Grandison's injuries do not linger we should be okay.

Last edited:
Luckily we have depth, but the team is learning how to play with one another and they will have to do that again when he returns. Probably not the ideal year for this to happen, but it is what it is. Proctor has an opportunity to shine. A guy like Grandison becomes very important now, so let's get him healthy. As long as Dariq and Grandison's injuries do not linger we should be okay.
I think Proctor is gonna be a gem. He's now showing up in the late lottery on some draft boards, which I know "who cares" but just goes to show his talent. Grandison is huge for us, not only will he provide leadership, but he can shoot and has been in big NCAA tournament games before.
I'm a bit more worried about our front line than anything else, not sold on Flip, and I think it may take some time for Lively to be a force, just like it took Mark Williams a few months his first year. Grabbing Young in the transfer portal was nice, and he should be able to give 10-15 minutes and some fouls.

Flip is good, but he shot up so fast he might be over valued. He's looked pretty average the few times I saw him against good comp. Not don't get me wrong, he's very good, but he seems like a Hurt type guy who will be great by year 2 if we get one. Given he is first round I doubt it. If I'm wrong and he is Banchero level I will gladly take that. He could be by year 2 imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: HurleyToHill
Flip is good, but he shot up so fast he might be over valued. He's looked pretty average the few times I saw him against good comp. Not don't get me wrong, he's very good, but he seems like a Hurt type guy who will be great by year 2 if we get one. Given he is first round I doubt it. If I'm wrong and he is Banchero level I will gladly take that. He could be by year 2 imo.
Seems like everyone leaves too early these days, but I think Flip is gonna be a 2 year guy. He can do more things on the court than Matt Hurt could do but just like Hurt it's gonna take him a while to adjust to the speed of the game and the size of the players he's going up against. Not sure he will ever be Banchero level but Flip's year 2 I think could be just like Josh McRoberts year 2 (Flips team much better.) where the offense run's through Flip.

If Flip stays 2 years I would be very happy. It's frustrating when we only get one year out of guys who never put it all together until the NBA. It's very satisfying for me to see the Hurts, Moores and Mark Williams type guys put it all together. Look at how Kennard blew up in year two. For every Banchero we get a Keels or AJ who are all over the map. Mark Williams did it right. He improved, went in round one, and went at the right time.

If Flip stays 2 years I would be very happy. It's frustrating when we only get one year out of guys who never put it all together until the NBA. It's very satisfying for me to see the Hurts, Moores and Mark Williams type guys put it all together. Look at how Kennard blew up in year two. For every Banchero we get a Keels or AJ who are all over the map. Mark Williams did it right. He improved, went in round one, and went at the right time.
I hope Jon focuses on recruiting guys who will stick around a few years. These days it's just impossible to predict who will go, 4 star guys now leave as Freshman: DJ Steward. If lower tiered guys are gonna go pro/transfer, might as well recruit the best right? We need guys to stick around, and I think we will still land a few stud top guys each year. The 2025 class of Cooper Flagg and the Boozer twins could be legendary.

I also hope the academic standards don't hold Duke back from being able to take guys in the transfer portal, we love our IVY league transfers, and got Young from Northwestern. Would we ever take an SEC transfer? What about Duke and NIL, does UNC already have an NIL lead on us because they are a state school?

I don't know what the answer is. As someone who likes continuity I see the North Carolinas and the Gonzagas returning 6,7 plus rotation guys and wonder why we can't do that. I would have liked to have seen Roach's class stay and develop, but they were recruited over. The fact that we have no seniors returning and one junior returning is concerning. I'd like to write a book and interview people who left Duke early. It would be fascinating. I'd like to ask Baker why he left. We do have a good chance at returning guys next year, but I say that every year.

I don't know what the answer is. As someone who likes continuity I see the North Carolinas and the Gonzagas returning 6,7 plus rotation guys and wonder why we can't do that. I would have liked to have seen Roach's class stay and develop, but they were recruited over. The fact that we have no seniors returning and one junior returning is concerning. I'd like to write a book and interview people who left Duke early. It would be fascinating. I'd like to ask Baker why he left. We do have a good chance at returning guys next year, but I say that every year.
Bacot has basically come out and said he is back because of NIL, he's making a lot, somehow he got on a Netflix show. Sadly seems like UNC has this figured out.
Would Keels be back if we could offer the same things? IDK

People said the NIL would bring the Keels type guys back. So far no. I know we are trying to up our NIL game, but Duke being a smaller school may make that harder. Keels was interviewed at the combine and said "I'm not even thinking about that" when asked about Duke. When he said that I knew he was gone. You also have to be interested in being a student. I'm not saying Keels wasn't, but I never hear our guys even mention this anymore. Henry Coleman seemed to be interested in being a student. I was bummed when he left.
Edit: Just saw JP Estrella picked Tennessee.

Last edited:
I think Proctor is gonna be a gem. He's now showing up in the late lottery on some draft boards, which I know "who cares" but just goes to show his talent. Grandison is huge for us, not only will he provide leadership, but he can shoot and has been in big NCAA tournament games before.
I'm a bit more worried about our front line than anything else, not sold on Flip, and I think it may take some time for Lively to be a force, just like it took Mark Williams a few months his first year. Grabbing Young in the transfer portal was nice, and he should be able to give 10-15 minutes and some fouls.

Don't sugarcoated it, Fiip and Lively need the weight-room. It does concern me, chemistry wise, if Young begins to outplay them in practice and games. As for Proctor, I'm looking forward to him playing and competing.

People said the NIL would bring the Keels type guys back. So far no. I know we are trying to up our NIL game, but Duke being a smaller school may make that harder. Keels was interviewed at the combine and said "I'm not even thinking about that" when asked about Duke. When he said that I knew he was gone. You also have to be interested in being a student. I'm not saying Keels wasn't, but I never hear our guys even mention this anymore. Henry Coleman seemed to be interested in being a student. I was bummed when he left.
Edit: Just saw JP Estrella picked Tennessee.
NIL provides leverage, not your signature to come back or join the team as a Freshman. Coaching, winning and finished product attracts tier 1 quality.

We definitely will need him against Kansas.
But everyone was high on him when he signed with Duke except me . Is he another Obi? Someone who signed with Duke for the medical treatment? At this point I would say him, Proctor and Schutt are on an even field starting at the sg spot .

But everyone was high on him when he signed with Duke except me . Is he another Obi? Someone who signed with Duke for the medical treatment? At this point I would say him, Proctor and Schutt are on an even field starting at the sg spot .
Obi was useless. I would assume Grandison is better.

Obi was useless. I would assume Grandison is better.
He went on to play pretty good his last year at Maryland .
I’m not saying Grandison won’t be a good fit but just hope it’s not the same injury that’s keeps him out .

Obi averaged 6 min per in the 21 he games played in at Maryland. 1.4 ppg and 1.9 reb

Reactions: timo0402
Obi averaged 6 min per in the 21 he games played in at Maryland. 1.4 ppg and 1.9 reb
But didn’t he re-injure his knee when another player came down on top of it ? I remember seeing the high light as he hit the ground first and the other big came down right on the top half of his knee cap .

Yes maybe useless was too harsh. I'm sure he is a good kid but I meant on the court he barely played.
His knees were shot . I remember his sit out year something about scar tissue being removed . He was no different then Tape so I see your point .

Obi was facing knee replacements not long after college. He could rebound at Rice when healthy but he was physically done by the time he got to Duke.

Reactions: sheyduke
Signed to Duke for the 'medical treatment.'! Hilarious!!!

Give me Obi as a freshman and soph, and we are not having a conversation.

Signed to Duke for the 'medical treatment.'! Hilarious!!!

Give me Obi as a freshman and soph, and we are not having a conversation.
That was at Rice a smaller school. Much like Grandison played at prior to transferring to Illinois. We will see how he does in the ACC but it’s not like Kofe is in the post . He will need the bigs to be truly effective to keep the defenses from collapsing on him around the perimeter.
Yes, I remember an interview with him his red shirt year at Duke in which that was one of the reasons he picked Duke was to help with his on going knee issues.

Reactions: jamsession3
That was at Rice a smaller school. Much like Grandison played at prior to transferring to Illinois. We will see how he does in the ACC but it’s not like Kofe is in the post . He will need the bigs to be truly effective to keep the defenses from collapsing on him around the perimeter.
Yes, I remember an interview with him his red shirt year at Duke in which that was one of the reasons he picked Duke was to help with his on going knee issues.

He should've kept that comment to himself...lol. As for Grandison, his experience and age should make a big difference. HE'S GROWN. There aren't many offenses or defenses he has not seen in the NCAA. I agree, being healthy is priority number 1. If he can hit the open 3 and bring leadership, he's done his job.

Reactions: sheyduke
He should've kept that comment to himself...lol. As for Grandison, his experience and age should make a big difference. HE'S GROWN. There aren't many offenses or defenses he has not seen in the NCAA. I agree, being healthy is priority number 1. If he can hit the open 3 and bring leadership, he's done his job.
Grandison is "OLD," as a pretty successful ex coach was fond of saying.

OFC

Obi wasn’t the first player that used Duke’s medical facilities as a reason to select us. Maybe it’s not the only reason, but he’s hardly the first and there have been players since that it played a factor.

Having said that, the comparison to grandison doesn’t make a ton of sense. Grandison saw playing time here and a chance to play on the biggest stage. He should be fine come the season and has been around all summer working out and doing work with the team.

Moving on a bit, if Proctor plays to his potential he will be the day one starter. I think that’s a good thing for us. If Whitehead needs more time, then I see grandison playing at the 3 with Roach and Proctor.

Makes no sense. I'm reasonably certain Rice has access to competent medical care.

Obi did play some games against major-college competition and fared quite well. For example, he had 10 point and 12 rebounds against Texas, 8 points and 9 rebounds against Texas A&M.

He was an asset to the program in 2015—his redshirt year—when he went against Okafor in practice every day.

Duke didn't give him a scholarship so they could treat his knee. Obi would have been an asset to Duke had he stayed healthy. Imagine that 2016 team, the year Amile Jefferson went down for the season with one of those blasted foot injuries and Marshall Plumlee essentially manned the inside by himself.

Alas, Obi's knee got worse and worse at Duke and at Maryland, something that no one saw coming.

Makes no sense. I'm reasonably certain Rice has access to competent medical care.

Obi did play some games against major-college competition and fared quite well. For example, he had 10 point and 12 rebounds against Texas, 8 points and 9 rebounds against Texas A&M.

He was an asset to the program in 2015—his redshirt year—when he went against Okafor in practice every day.

Duke didn't give him a scholarship so they could treat his knee. Obi would have been an asset to Duke had he stayed healthy. Imagine that 2016 team, the year Amile Jefferson went down for the season with one of those blasted foot injuries and Marshall Plumlee essentially manned the inside by himself.

Alas, Obi's knee got worse and worse at Duke and at Maryland, something that no one saw coming.
Jim, I remember going to one of the exhibition games and he looked like a complete deer in headlights. I don’t know if it was the injury or what. I couldn’t believe it after as you said, and I heard the same, that he was doing so well his redshirt year.

Never really said Duke gave him a scholarship for medical it’s just one of the reasons that helped him pick Duke. His knees were always in bad shape . I remember a poster with inside knowledge saying his knees were cause for concern due to the length he went with out proper treatment to correct the situation. Any ways it’s a mute topic at this point and I do believe proctor gets the starting nod especially with Whitehead out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT