ADVERTISEMENT

High School basketball today

smashmouth5

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 25, 2001
Central Cabarrus NC plays The Explorers(FL) tomorrow at 1:30pm on Fox
for the championship.
The Explorers have the Carlos Boozer twins.

If you have not seen Cabarrus play, it is well worth your time.

Are most of the players from their championship team. They didn't have much height
They are. It was like playing a buzzsaw during the 3A season. They would pressure the ball so well that you couldn't get into your offense. They turned defense to offense about as quick as I have seen.

Those Boozer boys are going to monsters by their SR season. Just go ahead and follow in poppy's footsteps.

They said Central Cabarrus had been around since 1996. Not true. I graduated in 91, and they were in our conference. Back then, they were really good in baseball. But from 1988-1990, they were a force in football. They had a one man wrecking ball running back named Natrome Means, who went on to a successful NFL career.

They said Central Cabarrus had been around since 1996. Not true. I graduated in 91, and they were in our conference. Back then, they were really good in baseball. But from 1988-1990, they were a force in football. They had a one man wrecking ball running back named Natrome Means, who went on to a successful NFL career.
I graduated from Central Cabarrus in 1983. If my memory is correct, they opened their doors around 1967. My oldest brother still lives in the area. He said back in January he was planning to go see them play.

I graduated from Central Cabarrus in 1983. If my memory is correct, they opened their doors around 1967. My oldest brother still lives in the area. He said back in January he was planning to go see them play.
They may have been the best team in the state this year including 4@. Their tallest player was 6'4 but they could play. Pressure defense and run the floor

Where did you graduate from? A.L. Brown Alum here.

Haha, was just at ER Tuesday watching some soccer. I live on Salisbury now.
Ok, I live in Rockwell. We had some battles in baseball back in the day with Brown. Hut Smith was a stud pitcher. You guys also had Maurice Blakeny and Mike Morton.
People don’t realize how much talent used to come thru Cabarrus County, mainly in football, and how many fans used to come see the wars between Brown and Concord.

Last edited:
I remember Lance Smith and Ethan Horton. They were a few years older than me. That was helluva high school team. Those two went on to have lengthy NFL careers. EZ Smith was a legendary football coach at Concord HS. I would have loved to play for him.

I remember Lance Smith and Ethan Horton. They were a few years older than me. That was helluva high school team. Those two went on to have lengthy NFL careers. EZ Smith was a legendary football coach at Concord HS. I would have loved to play for him.
Those Brown teams had so much talent but Coach Boswell pretty much only ran the ball and when we were slowed down we couldn't pass at all. Also, we always ran into a juggernaut Greensboro Page team it seemed like every year.

Reactions: dukesince91
Ok, I live in Rockwell. We had some battles in baseball back in the day with Brown. Hut Smith was a stud pitcher. You guys also had Maurice Blakeny and Mike Morton.
People don’t realize how much talent used to come thru Cabarrus County, mainly in football, and how many fans used to come see the wars between Brown and Concord.
I think Andy Smith pitched around the same time as Hut. Both played some minor league ball. The 89 State Championship team with Blakeney and Morton was damn good.

Central Cabarrus lost in the championship game after leading most of the way. Great year and showed out in this tournament knocking off the #1 seed.

Reactions: dukesince91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT