All American
Nov 24, 2012
1. Miami 14-4
2. Pitt 13-4 (by beating UVA)
3. UVA 13-4
4. Clemson 12-5
5. NCST 12-6
6. Duke 11-6
7. Cheats 9-8 (2-1 vs Cuse and WF; split with wake and 1-0 vs Cuse)
8. Wake 9-8 (1-1 vs Cheats and Cuse; Split with cheats, wrap up season with Cuse)
9. Cuse 9-8 (0-1 vs UNC and Wake; lost to cheats, play Wake in season finale.
10. BC 8-10
11. VT 6-11 (Plays FSU in regular season finale. Both teams winless vs Miami. VT better winning percentage vs Pitt (VT 1-0, FSU 1-1).
12. FSU 6-11
13. GT 3-14
14. ND 2-15 (beat LVille)
15. LVille 2-15

If PITT wins out (finale at Miami), Pitt is the number one seed. If Duke wins out, ACC might have a lot of egg on its face over the UVA debacle...

Reactions: hart2chesson
A double bye would be nice, but honestly, I feel like an extra game wouldn't be a bad thing for this team. Let's just stay healthy and take care of our own business. Making a run to the ACC championship game would be a real nice treat IMHO.

Virginia is playing terrible right now. Our almost win looks less and less impressive. I'd love to see us win out. That would keep us under 10 losses, assuming we don't win the ACC tournament. Hard to see getting more than an 8 seed with 10 losses.

Virginia is playing terrible right now. Our almost win looks less and less impressive. I'd love to see us win out. That would keep us under 10 losses, assuming we don't win the ACC tournament. Hard to see getting more than an 8 seed with 10 losses.
UNC got a 2 seed in 2018 with 10 losses (9 plus 1 in the ACC’s.) Which included a home loss to Wofford.

Last edited:
Virginia is very overrated this year….

Reactions: christophero
Don't confuse me with facts man. I think this year is different. Duke is around an 8 seed right now. We could move up, esp. if we win out last 6 games. Maybe a 5.
This year is definitely different in that the ACC is much much worse than in 2018. But I’d also say that the overall field top to bottom is worse this year too.

ACC final Ken-Pom rankings
2-UVA- lost to the 16 seed
3-Duke
8-UNC
14-Clemson
27-FSU
33-VT
35-ND
37-Miami
38-Louisville
40-Syracuse
46-NC St

Absurdly loaded conference.

Given recent struggles you could make the argument that no one in the ACC will make the sweet 16. Likely several will, but you never know. Right now us and Miami and Virginia, and all 3 of those are iffy. Maybe NC State. law of averages suggests several will, but I am not overly confident in any of those teams.

First off, Duke is no worse than 5 if they win out. There is a couple things to remember, when determining tie breakers, among three or more tied teams, you compare winning percentage of records against each other (see above). Remember 0-1 is equal to 0-2 and 2-0 is equal to 1-0 and 1-1 is equal to 2-2. Cuse and Wake have not played, but Cuse has a combined record of 0-1 vs Cheats and Wake while Wake Is 1-1. Wake split with the cheats while they have not played Cuse. In this case it doesn’t matter much, just what color Jersey and what bench in the first game of day 2 of ACC tournament.

So, while I would still put Duke’s chance as more than 50% they won’t get a double bye, they still have a decent shot. We lose the tiebreaker heads up with Clemson, it becomes interesting if we tie Clemson with another team.

Add all to that, if Pitt wins out, they are the number one seed and tie breakers do not even factor. So remember, if Duke ties alone with, let’s say Miami with Pitt as the top seed (so they win at Miami) Duke wins the tiebreaker over Miami (Two teams tied who split the regular season, you compare the winning percentage for the tied teams against fellow conference members starting with the top of the standings. Duke would have a better winning percentage against Pitt). Now in the Miami scenario, I wouldn’t hold my breath as Miami plays FSU and Pitt at home, but rivalry games create absolute shockers.

As far as speculation on sweet 16 or for whatever for the tournament, it can be fun to talk about, but in all actuality it is stupid before the brackets are released. Look at Syracuse 2003. Virtually no one had them slated as a F4 team until the brackets were released. When they were, everyone had them as a final four team.

Look how many 12 seeds are hot debates whether they should even be in the tournament but then in the next breath, the pundits say “but this team is going to the S16.” Didn’t that exact scenario happen to Zona a few years ago? Yes, when you have a long term trend like the Big 10-11-12-14 whatever there conference has not won a nati since 2000, you can make a statement about that conference. But people who judge a conference strength just based on tournament results, it is a huge fallacy. Look at the Cheats last year. Everyone had them in before they beat Duke (and you actually looked at the resume without the name, they shoulda been out had they lost to Duke). But beat Duke in the most pressure filled regular season game on the history of NCAA basketball, have one of the most fortuitous roads to the FF with injuries and upsets, a FF game that was the most pressure filled game for one team in the history of NCAA basketball, and the Cheats have one of the most head scratching preseason number one ranking in sports history. Add to that, the two times the second the Cheats felt pressure and n the NCAAs last year, they folded like a cheap suit. Just all of that went away against Baylor in OT as everyone and their brother thought there was no way they beat Baylor.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982
I stated our best possible seed is 5th because that’s what was reported.

It could be wrong idk.

Just win out and get on a roll to wrap this season up!

I stated our best possible seed is 5th because that’s what was reported.

It could be wrong idk.

Just win out and get on a roll to wrap this season up!
Well, if Clemson loses 2 of 3 (not beyond the realm of possibility as at UVA at NCST), Miami loses out (may lose vs Pitt but I do not see them losing vs FSU) and we win out, we are the third seed (as long as UVA doesn’t lose 2 of 3).

Actually, if UVA and Miami lose out, Clemson loses every game but the UVA, and Pitt loses every game but Miami, and we win out, we are the one seed. In this scenario, Duke, Pitt, and Miami are all 14-6. Pitt and Duke would both have a 2-1 against the other two tied teams (Miami 1-3). So between Pitt and Duke, it goes to head to head tiebreakers and Duke won only meeting.

Last edited:
1. Pitt 14-4
2. Miami 14-5
3. Clemson 13-5 (has not played UVA, Clemson is 1-0 vs Pitt, UVA 0-1 vs Pitt)
4. UVA 13-5
5. Duke 12-6
6. NCST 12-7
7. Cheats 11-8
8. Wake 10-8
9. Cuse 9-9
10. BC 8-10
11. FSU 7-12
12. VT 6-12
13. GT 4-14
14. ND 2-16 (beat LVille)
15. LVille 2-16

Last edited:
Given recent struggles you could make the argument that no one in the ACC will make the sweet 16. Likely several will, but you never know. Right now us and Miami and Virginia, and all 3 of those are iffy. Maybe NC State. law of averages suggests several will, but I am not overly confident in any of those teams.
As good a place to put this as any, I have read on another board that Whitehead is about 2 weeks from rounding into game shape. As much time as he missed, it makes sense. He is the extra gear that Duke needs to advance.

If Duke could manage to get a 6th seed that means they dodge the number 1 seed the first weekend and get their feet wet. I do not see a lot teams in the ACC getting high seeds other than VIrgina and they are on a slide down ward meaning they will have to face one of the top 4 teams in the country. It is March madness and anything can happen

If we are a 6 in Greensboro... Serves them right for the year we played South Carolina in SC and the whole "top 4 seeds will be given geographic preference in either the first two rounds or regional rounds" and they shipped us to the west regional and started in Utah as a 3 seed to play a hot team WHO PLAYED EVER YEAR ON UTAH'S COURT in 2003.

A 6 with a 2 seed Marquette and 1 seed Kansas would be amazing. We’d smoke gonzaga and probably get Kentucky to go to the elite 8

If we are a 6 in Greensboro... Serves them right for the year we played South Carolina in SC and the whole "top 4 seeds will be given geographic preference in either the first two rounds or regional rounds" and they shipped us to the west regional and started in Utah as a 3 seed to play a hot team WHO PLAYED EVER YEAR ON UTAH'S COURT in 2003.
that would be awesome. I would pay for Duke to get that bracket

Something just occured to me . WVU and Michigan are first four in the east and UNC is first four out as our 11th seed. we could end up facing the heels in the first game of the tourney, which is even more motivation to beat the cheats in Chapel Hill Saturday and put a nail in their coffin .

Something just occured to me . WVU and Michigan are first four in the east and UNC is first four out as our 11th seed. we could end up facing the heels in the first game of the tourney, which is even more motivation to beat the cheats in Chapel Hill Saturday and put a nail in their coffin .
Conference teams are not allowed to play each other before round 2.

1. Pitt 14-4 (@ND @MIA)
2. Miami 14-5 (beat UVA) (VS Pitt)
3. UVA 14-5 (vs Louisville)
4. Clemson 13-6 (beat Duke) (vs ND)
5. Duke 13-6 (@Cheats)
6. NCST 12-8
7. Cheats 11-8 (vs Duke)
8. Wake 10-9 (@ Cuse)
9. Cuse 9-10 (beat BC twice) (vs Wake)
10. BC 9-10 (vs GT)
11. VT 7-12 (vs FSU)
12. FSU 7-12 (@VT)
13. GT 5-14 (lock) (at BC)
14. ND 2-16 (beat LVille) (vs Pitt, @Clemson)
15. LVille 2-17 (@UVA)

Last edited:
Reactions: GillJET
I believe it is 5 for Duke unless win and: Clemson loses (4) or Clemson and Miami loses and Pitt wins out and UVA wins (3).

So , you can get punched in the throat and have a mid air collision involving three players hit the deck with no eventual foul being called. Get an official apology from the league, otherwise Duke could be staring a number 1 seed right in the face and assured a 6th seed in the big dance.

Duke is 2 if wins and Pitt loses out, Clemson loses, and UVA loses. Under this scenario:

1. Miami 15-5
Duke, UVA, and Pitt all tied 14-6. They are all 1-1 against each other. Pitt and Duke 1-1 against Miami while UVA 0-1. UVA then is the four seed. Duke and Pitt revert to head-to-head so:
2. Duke
3. Pitt
4. UVA.

If above happens except Clemson wins, you have 4 teams tied with UVA and Clemson 2-1 against each other while Pitt and Duke 1-2. So in this scenario:
1. Miami
2. UVA
3. Clemson
4. Duke
5. Pitt

1. Miami 15-5 (lock) (beat UVA)
2. UVA 15-5
3. Duke 14-6 (beat Pitt)
4. Pitt 14-6
5. Clemson 13-6 (vs ND)
6. NCST 12-8 (lock)
7. Cheats 11-8 (lock) (vs Duke)
8. Cuse 10-10 (lock) (beat wake)
9. Wake 10-10 (lock)
10. BC 9-11 (lock)
11. VT 8-12 (lock)
12. FSU 7-13 (lock)
13. GT 6-14 (lock)
14. ND 3-16 (lock) (@Clemson)
15. LVille 2-18 (lock)

Last edited:
1. Miami (beat UVA)
2. UVA
3. Duke if Clemson loses. Clemson if wins.
4. Pitt if Clemson loses. Duke if clemson wins.
5. Clemson if loses. Pitt if Clemson wins.
6. NCST
7. Cheats
8. Cuse (beat Wake)
9. Wake
10. BC
11. Vt
12. FSU
13. GT
14. ND
15. Louisville

Last edited:
1. Miami 15-5 (lock) (beat UVA)
2. UVA 15-5 (lock)
3. Clemson 14-6 (lock) (2-0 vs tied teams, Duke 1-1, Pitt 0-2)
4. Duke 14-6 (lock)
5. Pitt 14-6 (lock)
6. NCST 12-8 (lock)
7. Cheats 11-9 (lock)
8. Cuse 10-10 (lock) (beat wake)
9. Wake 10-10 (lock)
10. BC 9-11 (lock)
11. VT 8-12 (lock)
12. FSU 7-13 (lock)
13. GT 6-14 (lock)
14. ND 3-17 (lock)
15. LVille 2-18 (lock)

Last edited:
According to graphic at end of game Duke clinched a double bye. I have no idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT