ADVERTISEMENT

Guy You Wish Came Back for One More Year

christophero

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
May 2, 2017
Seems like a fun topic of discussion. I don't mean Zion or Brand or Tatum or the obvious top 5 picks. I mean guys that could have realistically returned and turned the tide for the following year's team. I've got several, starting with Avery and Maggette. Perhaps we don't win in 2001 if those guys returned in 2000. But recently Kennard, Steward, and Duval are three I can think of. I think a second year Duval would have been great, and could have formed a lethal backcourt with Jones. I think Steward could have really helped our shooting this year. A junior Kennard would have been unstoppable. This year would be Keels, if he goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBM0828
My top 5 would be: Tyus, Kennard, Gary Trent Jr, Cam, and Carter. My hope is everything that is pointing to Keels and Moore leaving is wrong. I think Moore is 99.9% gone though. Keels I would've put at 95-98%, but I am thinking closer to 99.9% now too. Just too much chatter to believe otherwise.

Reactions: christophero
Matthew Hurt on this year's team would have been nice.
Definitely. People rag on his defense, but he averaged 20ppg last year. He would be such a huge upgrade over Baker. he could have been 6th man of the year, won a natty, and been drafted in the 2nd round. Instead he is...not sure what he is doing. Not to pick on Baker but he was out of the rotation completely at year's end.

Last edited:
Definitely. People rag on his defense, but he averaged 20ppg last year. He would be such a huge upgrade over Baker. he could have been 6th man of the year, won a natty, and been drafted in the 2nd round. Instead he is...not sure what he was doing.
If Matthew Hurt is coming off the bench for this past year's team we're cutting down the nets. Almost did it without him.

But yeah, this would've been a completely different beast of a team. Not sure anyone could've stopped us with the field being so leveled out this season.

Henderson and Elliot Williams leaving hurt in 2009, although we won the title the next year. Those guys were high volume shooters, which is not always efficient. Williams took a lot of shots at Memphis the next year. We were lucky to get 3 years out of Henderson. Henderson had a flair for the spectacular, but he could also coast at times. Maybe because of his asthma.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Henderson and Elliot Williams leaving hurt in 2009, although we won the title the next year. Those guys were high volume shooters, which is not always efficient. Williams took a lot of shots at Memphis the next year. We were lucky to get 3 years out of Henderson. Henderson had a flair for the spectacular, but he could also coast at times. Maybe because of his asthma.
Incredible athletic ability with an inability to run efficiently. Asthma is a pain in the ass.

I’d take Trent as a sophomore with Tre, Zion, and co. That could have worked cause Zion wasn’t a volume shooter.
No on Kennard as a junior with the 17-18 team. The last thing that team needed was someone else that wanted to “get theirs.”

I wanted Kennard back instead of Grayson that year. I like Grayson but he was a huge distraction for that team.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Deng 100%. We woulda won it all in 05 and prevented Carolina from doing so.. coulda been an awesome thing.. but if one guy reef had a legit reason to leave it was him!

Tyus on 16 would have been AMAZING, coulda had a legit shot at a repeat.

Winslow was a guy I really wanted back. But I get he had to go. I also wanted Bolden back instead of DeLaurier. Bolden had all the skills but not the motor, Javin had all the motor and none of the skills. Combine those 2 you would have a good player.

That hurt for like, a minute, like the Harrison Barnes recruitment. Hard to miss 3 guys when we won it all the very next season.

Someone said Maggette. If he comes back, there would've been consequences for the Myron Piggie thing. Of course, no one involved in that suffered any consequences for the '98-'99 season, so maybe that would have shut up the haters who whined about it for the next decade +.

Two weird Honorable Mention choices: Michael Thompson & Shav. 5 more post fouls to give against UConn might have led to another title in '04. A third post player would have been huge for us in '05-'06.

Real #1 choice for me has to be Deng. It wouldn't have been realistic to get a sophomore season out of him any time in the last 15 years or so, but in '04 there was a good chance. #2, Tyus. And if "super season" means we could get TWO more years out of someone, a senior Tre this year and we'd have won it all as the #1 overall seed.

Reactions: KDSTONE
I am trying to live in the moment.

Give me Keels or Moore back next year for an experienced backcourt of Roach and Keels or Roach and Moore.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Nobody has said Cassius Stanley? In retrospect, a second year for him probably would have been good both for him and for Duke. I really liked that kid. Still hoping he finds a permanent spot in the NBA somewhere.

Another year of McRoberts would have been nice, but he had a good NBA career so he made the right call.

Stanley was really old for his grade. I think he might have been 21 by the time of the draft that year, so I think that was a big factor for him. By comparison, Wendell just finished his third year and won't be 21 until September

Reactions: DukeJim99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT