ADVERTISEMENT

GG Jackson….

I’m hoping Roach, Moore and potentially Keels stays. I don’t see Keels jumping back up into the 1st round because he had 3 good half’s of play in the NCAA tournament. Think he’s a 2nd round pick, and if he comes back next year then he’s got a starting job at SG and continues to play with Roach.

Sounds like GG Jackson is definitely going to the Tarheels, however McKenzie Mgbako is making his commitment in the next week and all signs point to Duke with his final 4 schools are Duke, UK, OSU, and Memphis. Depending on what Jackson does from a reclassification perspective, Mgbako could be the new #1 recruit. On a side note, if we land Mgbako then we should have one hell of a shot at landing Nasir Cunningham who is Mgbako’s teammate.
Mackenize is the one I want for sure. Will be our crown jewel in that '23 class.

I’m hoping Roach, Moore and potentially Keels stays. I don’t see Keels jumping back up into the 1st round because he had 3 good half’s of play in the NCAA tournament. Think he’s a 2nd round pick, and if he comes back next year then he’s got a starting job at SG and continues to play with Roach.

Sounds like GG Jackson is definitely going to the Tarheels, however McKenzie Mgbako is making his commitment in the next week and all signs point to Duke with his final 4 schools are Duke, UK, OSU, and Memphis. Depending on what Jackson does from a reclassification perspective, Mgbako could be the new #1 recruit. On a side note, if we land Mgbako then we should have one hell of a shot at landing Nasir Cunningham who is Mgbako’s teammate.
I also saw that the Australian kid, Tyrese Proctor is making his decision tomorrow at 4. Hopefully we can land him as well 🤞🤞🤞

Reactions: christophero
I also saw that the Australian kid, Tyrese Proctor is making his decision tomorrow at 4. Hopefully we can land him as well 🤞🤞🤞
This and he is likely a reclass, so if he picks Duke, he could be here for this year's team.

Never learned how to cut and paste but if you check out website ID Prospects
there is a great scouting report with several videos of Proctor. Looks like a shorter Livingston to me. Great prospect

Mackenzie & Proctor are both playing for the international team in the Nike Hoop Summit game Friday night. Hopefully that will be two more future Duke players in this game going against the three that is already committed.

That’s an hour before the Nike Hoop summit game. Hopefully Duke pickup both these huge commitments.

I think Keels is in a position where he could get a big boost to his draft stock if he came back. He’s really more of a guard than a true wing. But he’s not great at anything the NBA wants guards to do these days. If he learns from Wendell Moore, he could get better and become a late lottery pick. He’s in a different position than someone like DJ Steward who wasn’t likely to improve his draft position, and also had better players coming in behind him. Keels can improve and if he comes back, he’s probably playing 35 min/gm next year.
DJ steward could’ve improved his stock. Any young guy can improve their stock, it’s older guys like Stanley or now moore who are basically too old in the eyes of the nba.
I just hate hearing "they have to go" for guys like Hurt and Stanley, and then they drop off the face of the earth. Keels may be like that.
Stanley had to leave , he was the age of a junior. Hurt didn’t and it was stupid of him to leave. He still could’ve shown more with a solid junior season. Keels won’t fall off like that, kid has talent but he’ll imo I’ve

Is he still? I thought I saw he wasnt likely to reclass anymore
I did see this morning that he is not looking to reclass now. Although, that could change if Jon wants/needs him to come earlier. There was also word that Caleb Foster could reclass if Jon wants/needs him to, but I haven't seen anything new where they are reclassing now.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Jackson is not coming to Duke, I heard he already gave word to UNC last weekend. I rather have Mackenzie anyways. Both are great players though. Hopefully we have two great pickups these next two days.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Jackson is not coming to Duke, I heard he already gave word to UNC last weekend. I rather have Mackenzie anyways. Both are great players though. Hopefully we have two great pickups these next two days.
Silent verbal?

Austin Rivers but a better defender. Rivers was good.
Bad comparison. Rivers couldn’t pass the ball he was more of a combo his one year at Duke. Proctor is a pure pg who looks to pass but can take over a game if need be . It will be interesting to see if him or Foster reclass.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
From what I have read, one of Foster or Proctor is likely to reclass if Keels declares for the draft. Might be a while before we know anything.

I like the Rivers comparison to a point. He could be a better fit than Rivers. I'm REALLY impressed with the video I see of this guy. Seems to have an all around game. Of course that's highlight reals and against HS kids but he looks like he has it all.

I'm really confused about all the guards Jon has recruited and which might reclass or not. Guess we'll have to wait for the team poster next year.

As I've said I don't want to start 4 freshman in Jon's first year. I'm hoping for a good SG transfer. If Keels comes back I will be shocked.
Keels would allow Whitehead to play his natural position of SF. Otherwise, I worry that they try to turn Whitehead into a taller version of RJ Barrett.

Keels would allow Whitehead to play his natural position of SF. Otherwise, I worry that they try to turn Whitehead into a taller version of RJ Barrett.
Barrett was an inch taller and 20 pounds heavier then Whitehead is . Whitehead is listed at 6’6” 190 pounds and RJ was listed at 6’7” 202 pounds when he came in . From what I’ve seen Whitehead’s handle is better then RJ’s coming in so sg is not out the question given he’s played all three positions in high school.

This one and done thing is gonna bite us one of these years. I hope next year is not the year. We have become reliant on top 5 recruiting classes and I am not sure this is sustainable. I see solid guys coming in, not necessarily Banchero/Tatum, Oakafor type impact freshman. maybe Whitehead. Flip is a fast riser and nice story but I am leery we are expecting too much of him next year. If Keels comes back or we get a great guard transfer then the backcourt can carry us until the new guys settle in.

Reactions: Liftee
I trust Scheyer will realize he can't battle physical teams with the group he has now. He needs at least one big guy who can give us serious minutes, maybe two guys. Plus a guard. So we don't have our rosters together for 2022 or 2023 yet.

This one and done thing is gonna bite us one of these years. I hope next year is not the year. We have become reliant on top 5 recruiting classes and I am not sure this is sustainable. I see solid guys coming in, not necessarily Banchero/Tatum, Oakafor type impact freshman. maybe Whitehead. Flip is a fast riser and nice story but I am leery we are expecting too much of him next year. If Keels comes back or we get a great guard transfer then the backcourt can carry us until the new guys settle in.
Keels is not returning so we can forget about him. The issue isn’t the staff with the portal it’s whether or not the kid is willing to blend with the current roster or come off the bench . John was the exception because he was done with college ball.
the big question is IF portal players want playing time or want to compete for a national championship. I think Scheyer and staff know this as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT