ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

This game was
trump-5jpg-8dc08fb4877b2d22.jpg
BIGLY

Throwing in the towel that early in the season is weak sauce. Never give up on Mike Krzyzewski.
Where's get nasty? Haven't seen him around the board much lately.....oh wait, we are playing well.

I am cracking up at some of you who probably haven't even seen Gonzaga play. I get that Duke is clicking, but the Zags are pretty damn good (I know because I have seen about 40% of their games). They are a very good squad and could cause front-line problems for Duke (again if Harry and MB ride the pine). If Duke rotated bigs, they'd probably win, but it would be a heck of a game.

Last edited:
I see Gonzaga EVERY year. And EVERY year, people start talking early about how amazing they are and how they will win it all. And EVERY year, they lay an egg. But, since you are so confident in them , you and i can roll a bet off. If we meet them this year, I'll take Duke for a hundred dollar bill. We can send our money to a DI mod prior to the matchup. He can mail the 200 bucks to the winner(me) afterwards.

I see Gonzaga EVERY year. And EVERY year, people start talking early about how amazing they are and how they will win it all. And EVERY year, they lay an egg. But, since you are so confident in them , you and i can roll a bet off. If we meet them this year, I'll take Duke for a hundred dollar bill. We can send our money to a DI mod prior to the matchup. He can mail the 200 bucks to the winner(me) afterwards.
Gonzaga is a top 20 team, but without a suitable body of work, we'll never know how high (or low) they should be ranked. They might be able to beat Duke in a one time matchup, but that situation is different if they've had to battle through the ACC. It takes a toll. We get no cupcakes midseason.

I guess you selectively read my post there. Not sure how you missed the part where I stated that Duke would most likely win IF THEY DIDN'T GO TO A COMPLETE 6-MAN ROTATION (Giles and MB riding the pine). Just because Duke would probably win, doesn't mean the Zags are not a really good team.

I am curious, how many of their games have you seen, most of or in entirety? If you haven't had a chance, check them out, they play quality ball.

Last edited:
Gonzaga is a top 20 team, but without a suitable body of work, we'll never know how high (or low) they should be ranked. They might be able to beat Duke in a one time matchup, but that situation is different if they've had to battle through the ACC. It takes a toll. We get no cupcakes midseason.

100% Agree here. I am consistently reminding people here on the West Coast that the Zags would be 3 or more losses deep already in the ACC. I even usually write them off by now on an annual basis, but this is a different team this year, that is for sure.

This Gonzaga team is different than every Gonzaga team in the past, which every team in the past was way overrated. This isn't your typical "guys from all around the world who can shoot 3's but play zero defense" team. They are athletic, play great D, and the guards can play.

IMO it's the best Gonzaga team ever (and worthy of a 1 seed, unlike year's past)..but our ceiling is still MUCH higher.

Reactions: SoCal Dukie
I hope Gonzaga does go into the NCAA tourney undefeated. They will have unbelievable pressure on them.

I saw a guy on Twitter yesterday say something along the lines of, "What all these people saying Gonzaga is overrated don't understand is that every single conference game they play they are that team's biggest game of the year."

I wanted to be like, "As a Duke fan watching my team play in the toughest basketball conference in America, you've really given me something new to ponder about the relative ease of my team's situation compared to yours." I held my tongue.

I'll believe in Gonzaga when Gonzaga actually does something with all the hype and not a millisecond before.

Reactions: dbav
I've watched Gonzaga. They're pretty good. But without watching them play quality competition it's hard to get an accurate gauge of how good.

Besides, I don't think a lot of Duke fans are saying they're bad. There are, however, some Duke fans who take issue with some here saying we can't hang with them. Like I said, they're good....but we don't know how good because they don't really play anybody.

I've watched Gonzaga. They're pretty good. But without watching them play quality competition it's hard to get an accurate gauge of how good.

Besides, I don't think a lot of Duke fans are saying they're bad. There are, however, some Duke fans who take issue with some here saying we can't hang with them. Like I said, they're good....but we don't know how good because they don't really play anybody.

Good points. They are better IMO than years past, but we haven't seen a true test. That time will come in the FF, but unfortunately for them, one misstep and they're done. Plus, as mentioned above, the pressure is on them. I've really been exposed this year to West coast ball, and I still think UCLA is the best team in the West simply because they can flat-out score. Question becomes whether they can defend in crunch-time. Either way, if Duke keeps playing like they have been, they are better than either UCLA or the Zags.

Good points. They are better IMO than years past, but we haven't seen a true test. That time will come in the FF, but unfortunately for them, one misstep and they're done. Plus, as mentioned above, the pressure is on them. I've really been exposed this year to West coast ball, and I still think UCLA is the best team in the West simply because they can flat-out score. Question becomes whether they can defend in crunch-time. Either way, if Duke keeps playing like they have been, they are better than either UCLA or the Zags.
Zags aren't going to the FF

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT