ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Talking to PG Thornton this week

I could be completely off base, but I don't really see Louisville as a real threat here. I think it's either Duke 2015 or stay in the 2016 class.

From an outsider's perspective, I think it's a no brainer if he planned to pick Duke in 2016 -- which a lot of people think was his leader anyways. However, who knows. Maybe Thornton and / or his family may be concerned that a less than steller freshman season next year would hurt his draft stock with NBA teams, and / or the fact that he may not end up being one-and-done may be viewed as a negative. While, in a logical world, Thornton's age -- rather than class year -- should drive NBA interest in him, it may be a problem.

Also, while everyone is speculating that Coach K's trying to convince Thornton to reclassify, it wouldn't be surprising to me if Thornton's already made the decision to reclassify but doesn't want to make any kind of public pronouncement until he takes the SAT and secures a qualifying score that will get him admitted next year. Obviously, Thornton wouldn't want to make a show of committing to Duke now only to find out in a few weeks that there is some issue with his admission that cannot be addressed in time to join the 2015 class.

Question: Thornton is a consensus top ten in the class of 2016, widely seen as superior to 2015. If he had stayed in the class of 2015, where do you think he would be ranked? Potential top five?

i believe that i read that the louisville visit has been cancelled????...any truth???

Originally posted by BOOGIEMAN1914:
i believe that i read that the louisville visit has been cancelled????...any truth???
Well, technically postponed so that he can take the SAT. Though, who knows if he'll ever end up taking that visit.

Originally posted by aah555:

Originally posted by BOOGIEMAN1914:
Well, technically postponed so that he can take the SAT. Though, who knows if he'll ever end up taking that visit.
i thought the test is in May???...prep and study???, but the in-home is Monday instead?

Originally posted by lahusker01:
1. Was that just a passing comment about K being able to simply land Jackson if he wanted or is there info where Jackson really wants to go to Duke?

2. If DT reclassifies, does that really make it easier for DSJ? I read that Smith would most likely not come to Duke if DT did b/c they'd both want to play PG. I don't know when I read that but it was on this forum or possible TOS.
--DT and Smith would be a dream come true.
Jackson decommitted from BYU and he has mentioned several times how he'd always be intrigued if he could garner enough interest from a top program like Duke. Sounds like he's not satisfied with just playing with a good mid-major school; he wants to be a part of an elite program and he seems to talk about Duke in every article, despite not receiving a scholly offer.

In the article on Duke Scout this week, Jackson almost explicitly says he would commit to Duke if he were offered.

One small caveat though, Jackson emphatically stated that he's going on a church mission right after high school - no school will be able to convince him otherwise. So even if he committed to play for us, he wouldn't be on the roster until 2018-2019. So signing three different point guards in Thornton, Smith, and Jackson could be a real possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT