ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K & Amaker

I like Rece Davis on Game Day but I felt like he was a Len Elmore type during the game. Wonder if he ever mentioned the Cheater scandal while doing a Cheater game?

I’m a little surprised and, honestly, disappointed, that Tommy hasn’t come out with something to defuse the entire issue. Could he seriously be pissed enough so he’s not going to cover K’s back?

Reactions: KDSTONE
a book written by “sources “ lol what a joke
Betting Quin Snyder is one of the main sources. The whole K is jealous of Quin Snyder just sounds like something that Snyder would put out there. Also, Tommy and Quin both played and coached together at Duke as assistants. Don’t see Tommy leaking this story for 2 reasons. He doesn’t seem like that type of guy and he would get a version of Flores treatment moving forward with regards to being blackballed from any major college HC jobs.

Not saying that there is any racial element in this story. Just getting my point across about what would happen to any mid-level coach who started leaking stories about the inner workings of a blue blood program and coaching legend. Might as well go ahead and retire after Harvard or sign a lifetime contract there because even if he didn’t leak this to the media, he leaked it to someone who then gave it to the media. Don’t see Tommy ever coaching anywhere in a major conference or program.

As cocky as Quin is, I’m betting that he thinks that leaking this kind of material about Coach K and Duke won’t effect his next HC prospects in the NBA if/when he leaves Utah. Think he’s making a bad assumption there, and is going to find out how long and powerful Coach K’s reach is. Don’t see this as something that K just let’s go and K can be very patient.

I like Amaker a lot; the Amaker/Dawkins team was what got me into Duke in high school. But Amaker has been a good but not great coach and is in his late 50's, so I don't think he would have been the right coach. Hurley and Capel have not fared any better. Dawkins I would be okay with, but he's also in his late 50's and hasn't head great success. Quin is probably one of my least favorite Dukies, not sure why but something about him is off putting. Jon will have quite the challenge next year with an extremely young team if everyone but Roach goes. It will be quite the learning experience; we shall see if he is up to the challenge. Even if we get some transfers they will be new to Duke. My guess is Jon brings in at least 3 transfers. Unless Moore or Keels come back; but most mocks have them late first round.

Last edited:
As someone said earlier, I'm disappointed that Amaker has not been heard from. Either it's because Coach K told him not to dignify the report with a response during the season, or because Tommy really is upset about not being chosen. I think it is the first reason.

Amaker is a smart guy. I'm not sure why he would think he was the favorite, so I agree. Plus he's been away for so long.
It would be really odd if he thought he was going to get it.. when we had those threads guessing he wasn’t even brought up hardly ha

Reactions: christophero
If Capel had gotten Pitt back to the tourament I'd pick him. But yikes they are bad, despite winning the last 3 games.

Agreed, I thought that Capel would have Pitt at a more respectable, maybe even 500 coaching record. He's been close to 500 overall but his record in conference isn't great. If he did that, I thought he would be the frontrunner.

That said, if not Capel, I think Scheyer was the next logical choice, especially with his ability to recruit.

Not so long ago Pitt went to the tournament nearly every year. The Jamie Dixon years. He was a very good coach. Just googled him and he's the TCU coach. Had no idea. They won the NIT and made the tournament one year.

To pick Amaker or Dawkins, after they have been away for so long and are at an advanced age for starting fresh, would have been a step back and would have been an "interim coach". Frankly, there isn't anyone who distinguished themselves, other than Snyder, and he's been already discussed above.

Amaker is a smart guy. I'm not sure why he would think he was the favorite, so I agree. Plus he's been away for so long.
Nailed it. Based on his results at Michigan and Seton Hall why on earth did he think he was the no 1 candidate? Ask yourself this: would another blue blood school even grant him an interview? He is simply not qualified. I’d rather take a chance with no hc experience than mediocrity proven over ten years

Not so long ago Pitt went to the tournament nearly every year. The Jamie Dixon years. He was a very good coach. Just googled him and he's the TCU coach. Had no idea. They won the NIT and made the tournament one year.
Yeh Dixon is solid. If he could recruit better Katie bar the door

Where’s the hate for Snyder coming from? Quin is a solid coach but has made it clear he’s not interested in coaching at the college level again.

My only question is if it was Amaker what has he done that Capel, Wojo, Collins or Dawkins hasn’t?
If he’s so heart broken , then why no statement?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT