ADVERTISEMENT

Cheaters Next

The_Only_Blue

Cameron Crazy
Nov 10, 2021
Since I started the last two, I'll start this one as well....

The dream matchup finally came true after 42 years. We just need to just keep doing what we're doing but I don't think we can go to a zone because of their shooting. Play smart, get good shots and rebound. Let's goooooo Duke

Reactions: sheyduke
It’s on baby!! It’s only for the strong ! 😜 All I gotta say is I can’t wait to see the face of buddy love and badcocks face when we steam roll their asses…I can already hear it now “ well we made it to the final four and beat Duke at home Na Na boo boo whatever makes them sleep at night irrelevant bs. oooohhhooo the refsss 😩. 😂🤣

Mark and Theo on Bacot is one key .Fo not go to the perimeter. Bacot is going to shoot from 12 foot in unless just wide open at three.
Moore needs to stayed glue to love and Manik vs Paolo is a match up . Paolo has to defend him on the perimeter but can’t stay there.
going to be a game for the ages

Mark and Theo on Bacot is one key .Fo not go to the perimeter. Bacot is going to shoot from 12 foot in unless just wide open at three.
Moore needs to stayed glue to love and Manik vs Paolo is a match up . Paolo has to defend him on the perimeter but can’t stay there.
going to be a game for the ages
Paolo need to stay glued on Manek as well. Make them take tough perimeter shots. If they go in they go in, but just make it tough.

Just bring it already. This was inevitable. UNC is playing very well, although I didn’t think they played great today. St Peters finally hit the wall after a great run.

Our best is better than their best. K has them clicking. The zone is going to disrupt them. Let’s do this.

I am predicting that this will be the most watched college basketball game of all time. What say you?
It’s going to be tough to break the modern record which is from ‘92 when Duke beat the Fab Five in the championship game. The only game with a higher viewership was back when Larry Bird & Magic went at it in the championship game. If you’re just going back over the last 10 years, the largest tv audience for a game was Duke vs Wisconsin and it’s not very close.

It’s going to be tough to break the modern record which is from ‘92 when Duke beat the Fab Five in the championship game. The only game with a higher viewership was back when Larry Bird & Magic went at it in the championship game. If you’re just going back over the last 10 years, the largest tv audience for a game was Duke vs Wisconsin and it’s not very close.
Didn’t want to start a new thread but on Rupps Rafters they have a thread celebrating the 44th anniversary of beating Duke in the 78 finals. Let the moonshine flow tonight boys!

Paolo need to stay glued on Manek as well. Make them take tough perimeter shots. If they go in they go in, but just make it tough.
I’ll add Bates Jones in there on Manik as well and simply tell him stayed glued to his hip don’t care if he drives on you just limit his three point shots .
Manik is going to make shots period . Limiting how many he shoots from three is key .

This is going to be a high scoring game. Neither team can stop the other. I'm most worried about the Bacot offensive rebounds and kickouts. We HAVE to rebound at the defensive end and cover for the kickouts.

At least we won't have 5 guys clutching and grabbing at us every time we take a dribble toward the basket like the last 2 rounds.

We can do this!

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
What are your thoughts about Duke putting PB on Black and AJ on Manik? PB usually has several lapses on D where he leaves his man open for a 3. Not worried about AJ getting posted up. Manik only shoots 3s or shots at the rim. I would rather PB help defend and leave Black open than Manik. Mark has to stay close to the basket and let Bacot shoot jump shots .

Will AJ be able to block out effectively against Manek? Didn't AJ lose his player few times against Arkansas?

Reactions: Liftee
Will AJ be able to block out effectively against Manek? Didn't AJ lose his player few times against Arkansas?
Those are good points but I would rather have Manek try to score inside than shoot 12 3s.
Valvano would try a box and one or a triangle and 2 with 2 guys sticking to Love and Manek.
Whoever guards Manek cannot leave him to help out. He has such a quick release. Saw him turn down a couple of 12 ft shoot jumps yesterday. It is either a 3 or a shot at the rim.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
What are your thoughts about Duke putting PB on Black and AJ on Manik? PB usually has several lapses on D where he leaves his man open for a 3. Not worried about AJ getting posted up. Manik only shoots 3s or shots at the rim. I would rather PB help defend and leave Black open than Manik. Mark has to stay close to the basket and let Bacot shoot jump shots .
I dunno tbh, aj isn’t the greatest defender but manik isnt necessarily quick off the dribble. Duke HAS to learn how to stop/limit the pick and roll, they destroyed us in Durham with that the entire 2nd half making Davis look like he was iverson. Can’t let mark get stuck on the perimeter. K gonna have his hands full imo

Last edited:
close outs close outs close outs. I don't care who it is (rather not Roach due to size) but someone close out on Manek! No open shots from the corner!

AJ is not the quickest defender, but he can body up on guys pretty well. Yes, he gets beaten backdoor sometimes, but to me that less about quickness and more about him being a freshman who just isn't quite up to the speed of D1 basketball at the highest level which is completely understandable. But as pointed out, Manek is a great shooter with a quick released, but he is not quick off the bounce. Close out and contain, and AJ can definitely handle that job. Outside of the Baylor game, UNC is not shooting the 3 ball especially well. It seems teams are just giving up a lot of open threes for them to shoot.

As long as we dont make Davis look like an NBA all star, and Manek like Larry Bird then we should be fine. Roach and Moore need to limit Davis/Love to under 15 each and whoever covers Manek to under 15...we will comfortably. Id be happy with the Bacot/Williams match up being a push...as i think we win the Paolo match up ...time for our guys to play with an attitude.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Since I started the last two, I'll start this one as well....

The dream matchup finally came true after 42 years. We just need to just keep doing what we're doing but I don't think we can go to a zone because of their shooting. Play smart, get good shots and rebound. Let's goooooo Duke
We have just about a week to prepare for THE GAME. I think the usual keys to winning are the same but in this game with the preparation time, the difference will be in coaching. Duke has played UNC twice this year and they know what works and doesn't. I think Coach K and staff will out coach the tar holes and be the deciding factor. Go Duke !

Personally, I think having AJ on Manek makes the absolute most sense. With Paolo on Leaky Black, he can rest a little on D (I worry about him cramping in this high emotion game), can crash the boards without fear of Leaky being a 3 point threat on a 50/50 ball like Manek has been, and perhaps most importantly he can stay out of foul trouble since Leaky is a blackhole on offense. In fact, if there was a way to make this game 3-on-4 by AJ just face guarding the mountain-man with ZERO help on any UNC drives and sagging off Leaky, can't imagine this wouldn't be ideal. Let Bacot get 20/10.

I'm too lazy to do the analysis but I imagine Manek's rebounding numbers per 40 minutes are pretty low for a 4 but just guessing. We've seen how vital he is to their offense when he is not on the floor (Baylor recently, all those games he didn't start at the beginning of the season). On the flipside, as incredible as his stand still jumper is automanek, he is by far the worst defender on the floor.

The biggest key to the game to me is how Caleb Love plays. He's a pseudo-3 point threat. Tons of credit for his performance against UCLA but that is not the norm and he generally has terrible shot-selection. If he's driving on us, that is where we could be in trouble.

If Roach can play Love even I think we win. If Love goes crazy we probably lose.

If Roach can play Love even I think we win. If Love goes crazy we probably lose.
Still crazy to me that Duke was Love's dream school but J Roach committed first. Seems like Love has made it a priority to try to play even harder against him as a result. To be honest, Roach is excellent at applying pressure but sort of struggles to keep guys in front. I'd have to go back and watch the 2nd Duke-UNC game as I can't even remember who was initially guarding Love/Davis but guess it didn't matter since we switched everything.

I’m no analyst but things that stand out between our two meetings, game 1 AJ had 27 and unc had one 20 point scorer. Game two AJ with 5 points unc with four 20 point scorers. The adjustment made vs us in game 2 was pick and roll us to death and getting mark on the perimeter. K had all week to figure this one out. I personally would have Trevor and Paulo driving a ton, get one if those bigs in foul trouble. Maybe we’ll get no acc refs and bacot will actually get called for one of the 10 fouls he committees a game

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson

i was having the same thoughts acc. I like Griffin on Manek and Banchero on Black.

Williams on Bacot
Moore on Love
Roach on Davis

Also, expose the mismatches when Duke is on offense. Attack Manek consistently on defense. Keels, John, Bates-Jones are better than whomever unc has coming off the bench.

Duke needs to continue to be patient on offense like they have been the last 3 games. Duke has gotten whatever shots they wanted the last 3 games, make Unc work on defense.

Just win. Hate to be greedy, but make it a no doubter. Spray the tar holes like the mosquitoes they are. A quiet hole fan is what the world needs.

Send K off in an ending fitting for him. Number 6.

Is my recollection wrong, but weren't we up in the second game midway through the second half? Didn't we just fall apart in the last 4 minutes but until then it was a close game? We act like Duke got blown out in that game like UNX did in the first one and that's not my recollection.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT