ADVERTISEMENT

ACC/SEC Challenge

In the words of George Costanza, “If you think I’m kidding just try me, try me, because I would love ittttt.”

Reactions: Devilinside
Arizona (Home)
MSU (Neutral)
Baylor (Neutral)
Kentukcy (Away)

Those are some good resume builders. Would be thrilled to win 3/4

Reactions: hart2chesson
Jon is not going light on the schedule. I really hope we get atleast a game or two in before Arizona/Michigan State. If not, have to wonder the strategy behind opening the season against two top 12 teams.

Kentucky on the other hand? Not afraid of that matchup in the least. That program has sunk lower than the dallas cowboys

We should beat Kentucky, but it may not be a cakewalk at their place. 3 rotation guys back and the number one recruiting class. Bradshaw should be playing by then. They are borderline top 25 now. How Cal works the portal the next month will determine how good they are. He could poach some West Virginia guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Who is Kentucky 3 rotation guys back? I only count 1 which is Reeves. Ugo and Thiero hardly played last year. Ugo averaged 6 minutes and Thiero 9 minutes. Most of those minutes were pre SEC. Now it sounds like they might add Tre Mitchell from WVU, but until they sign him it will probably be all the freshmen.

You're right 2 of those returning guys didn't play much. Would be a nice win, and would silence the "Duke doesn't play any true road games out of conference" crowd, at least for a while. Interesting stat I read us and Kentucky will be the 2 youngest teams in the preseason top 25 next year. I guess everything is relative. Also that takes into account new transfers. Proctor, Flip and Mitchell got a lot of experience last season. Add Young and Roach and Blakes and that is a pretty seasoned crew.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
You're right 2 of those returning guys didn't play much. Would be a nice win, and would silence the "Duke doesn't play any true road games out of conference" crowd, at least for a while. Interesting stat I read us and Kentucky will be the 2 youngest teams in the preseason top 25 next year. I guess everything is relative. Also that takes into account new transfers. Proctor, Flip and Mitchell got a lot of experience last season. Add Young and Roach and Blakes and that is a pretty seasoned crew.
Chris, with Bradshaw hurt- they won't even be ranked....

Reactions: christophero
Maybe; but Bradshaw may not be out as long as rumored and they are close to getting Tre Mitchell from WV (12 points, 5 rebounds per game, think he is a grad transfer). He is visiting UK this weekend. Still; we are better and battle tested. I think they will be top 25 when we play them; if barely.

Last edited:
Most of their team are toothpick type guys. If the refs let Duke muscle them out of the way Duke will be fine . If they call touch fouls might be close.

Reactions: christophero
I wouldn’t put it past the committee to rank them on name and the No. 1 ranked class coming in
I mean maybe, but the Kentucky brand doesn't mean what it once did. They lost EVERYONE and to start 5 freshman (one is hurt), in a historically bad class, they will be a bubble team most of the year.

It's a game even on the road Duke should win.

I think it’ll be a typical Kentucky team of the past 8 or so years. A lot of early season losses but could be fairly scary by March, in which they will probably still flame out early since Cal is coaching.

I’m interested to know when this game will be. I loved the ACC/Big10 situation of always being the week after thanksgiving. It was usually one of our last big games before the long Christmas break.

I don’t want this challenge to annually be in January or February, conference play is enough of a grind as is it. But they may want this to be when football is over for TV purposes so who knows.

First of all, don't kid yourself, Duke v. Kentucky is huge no matter when it is played.

Going into Rupp will not be easy no matter how young Kentucky's team is. This will be Christmas, New Years Eve and Mardi Gras for Big Blue Nation.

I'd love to see the game because Rupp Arena to me is right up there with Cameron, The Phog and Hinkle Field House.

No one is saying it wouldn't be a big game. It's Duke vs Kentucky- of course it's always a big game.

However, don't kid yourself thinking Kentucky is the Kentucky of old. That program has sunk, and their squad this year will be VERY young. I believe it was Rob Cassidy that said this class is the weakest in the last 5 years.

100% a game Duke should win and their third in a row against that dying program. I'm rarely overly confident, but I would have supreme faith in that matchup.

Let’s be totally truthful here, and read our game day thread if we lost.

It would be our Super Bowl too.

I respectfully disagree.

I mean this sincerely. We don't have Super Bowl games other than Final Four or national championship games. Maybe ACC Tournament Championship games. Maybe.

We've been the preeminent program in college basketball for over 30 years. It isn't arguable. We've played so many high profile games it's almost laughable.

I'm not in any way saying winning in Rupp wouldn't be nice, or "big" or whatever.

Super Bowl? No freaking way. For Duke, Super Bowl wins are banner hanging wins at a minimum. Nothing else.

Last edited:
Jon is not going light on the schedule. I really hope we get atleast a game or two in before Arizona/Michigan State. If not, have to wonder the strategy behind opening the season against two top 12 teams.

Kentucky on the other hand? Not afraid of that matchup in the least. That program has sunk lower than the dallas cowboys
Jon is not placing primary importance on wins and losses early early in the season. Goal is probably to prepare through great competition instead of walkovers. Gonzaga seems to do just fine facing a murderers' row early in the season. So should Duke. OFC

Jon is not placing primary importance on wins and losses early early in the season. Goal is probably to prepare through great competition instead of walkovers. Gonzaga seems to do just fine facing a murderers' row early in the season. So should Duke. OFC
I agree. I just would like to get a game or two in before Arizona and MSU back to back. Brutal if those are the first two games of the year.

Reactions: Devilinside
Those are our first 2 games? The last time I remember doing that was J Will's freshman year, when we started out 0-2 losing to Stanford and U Conn. U Conn got upset in their first game. But that Duke team was very young.

I respectfully disagree.

I mean this sincerely. We don't have Super Bowl games other than Final Four or national championship games. Maybe ACC Tournament Championship games. Maybe.

We've been the preeminent program in college basketball for over 30 years. It isn't arguable. We've played so many high profile games it's almost laughable.

I'm not in any way saying winning in Rupp wouldn't be nice, or "big" or whatever.

Super Bowl? No freaking way. For Duke, Super Bowl wins are banner hanging wins at a minimum. Nothing else.
We can call it whatever. But it's a very huge game for both teams. No way around it. Neither fan base wants to lose that game, and both would sacrifice a loss to someone else as long as they win that one.

Ratings for that game would be almost as high as a Duke/unc game. And both sites game day threads will be epic.

Kentucky got Tre Mitchell. They got a little better and older, like us with Young last year. 5th year senior PF from WV. WV fans are salty.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT