ADVERTISEMENT

Acc Coaches who are on the hot seat

sheyduke

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 14, 2010
Since it is the off season and given the amount of new coaches in the ACC. Thought this would be a good topic.

First, has to be Brad Brownell of Clemson.
Second would have to be Josh Pastner
Third Kevin Keats
Last hate to say it but Capel at Pitt.

these programs have been at the bottom of the ACC for awhile and outside of Georgia techs ACC Championship run the coaches have already been mentioned before as being on the hot seat.

Reactions: pisgah101
Since it is the off season and given the amount of new coaches in the ACC. Thought this would be a good topic.

First, has to be Brad Brownell of Clemson.
Second would have to be Josh Pastner
Third Kevin Keats
Last hate to say it but Capel at Pitt.

these programs have been at the bottom of the ACC for awhile and outside of Georgia techs ACC Championship run the coaches have already been mentioned before as being on the hot seat.

state screwed up with herb and have paid for it ever sense IMO.. clemson seems like a school that could do so much more. I actually like them and enjoy their teams most of the time they just can’t stay consistent at all! But both coaches getting let go make sense. If capel can’t get it don’t this year he has to be let go… GT I really dont care About them one way or the other!

Scheyer if he makes the NIT? Kidding, kidding.
Capel has been a huge disappointment if we're being honest. I figured they'd be a tournament regular by now. The Howland/Dixon years they almost always went to the tournament. Would not be happy if I was a Pitt fan/alum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
Scheyer if he makes the NIT? Kidding, kidding.
Capel has been a huge disappointment if we're being honest. I figured they'd be a tournament regular by now. The Howland/Dixon years they almost always went to the tournament.
All kidding aside, Scheyer really is on the hot seat. We know he can recruit. But, for that to continue like it has, requires winning.

Reactions: christophero
Davis making the FF in his first season did Scheyer no favors. I do like our team, but there are a LOT of new players. I mean, we are one Roach injury away from a completely new team. Coach K never had to deal with that much turnover. That said, we do have a lot of talent. Scheyer will need to be mentally tough if we lose 2 or 3 in a row. He will need to keep a young team from panicking. That will be the test. With coach K you knew Duke would never lose 3 or 4 in a row.

No way Jon is on the hot seat. His situation puts pressure on him, but he is Brand New. Yes the recruiting class is great, but allow the man a couple years without giving him the WORLDS PRESSURE on his shoulders. Davis at unc has nothing to do with him. Honestly they came together at the right time and made a heck of a run. That doesn't put any more pressure on Jon imo. He will be great.

Scheyer has atleast three years before you put him here.
Davis made the final four with all Roy’s upper class men with the exception of Manek. We will see what he can do during Jackson’s year because that will be a team of his making .
Jon’s first year is also his first team . Only player left from K’s time as being the head coach is Roach . The rest were all recruited by Jon and staff.
I agree with the rest and think Capel went into a bad situation at Pitt.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Scheyer has atleast three years before you put him here.
I would probably agree Shey. Unless he goes in and Matt Doherty's it up, I would give Jon roughly that timeline. Plus I don't see Jon as having the type of prickly personality as Coach Doh around his predecessors ex people in the hoops office.

Meanwhile I agree with basically the others mentioned now: Keats, Pastner and unfortunately Jeff.

OFC

1. Capel
2. Keats
3. Pastner
4. Brey
5. Bromwell

Capels gone if the Panthers finish bottom half again. I was one that never wanted him to be Dukes next coach and I was nervous with him doing a lot of the recruitment while an assistant tbh.

Keats, how much longer will the Pack high ups put up with him and UNC beating the piss out of them far over ten minutes in….? Not much longer

They can do so much better, that ACCT championship was the wurst thing that could have happened to Tech as far as the programs future. So much local talent there also

That ND cried had never supported Brey very well, even every third or fourth year when they are very good. But who would they support…

Bromwell isn’t in trouble imo but he’s probably 5th on this list. He’s actually done well

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
3 years unless we don't make the tournament. Then it's 2. With great power comes great responsibility.
Let’s be realistic here. The chance of Jon not making the tourney his first two years are slim to none .

Reactions: Liftee
Jon on the hot seat! Ha ha. You guys crack me up
In theory yes.. a new coach is awarded 3 years typically, screw up the seat gets warmer do great it gets cooler.. Hubert’s seat was like the sun in July in February… now cold as ice. Everybody takes things a little too literal but to think Duke would let him have over 3 years if he sucks is comical

In theory yes.. a new coach is awarded 3 years typically, screw up the seat gets warmer do great it gets cooler.. Hubert’s seat was like the sun in July in February… now cold as ice. Everybody takes things a little too literal but to think Duke would let him have over 3 years if he sucks is comical
Yeah, if anyone out there thinks the seat that Jon took over isn’t warm, they’re fooling themselves. K won, and won a lot, and the fan base still got unsettled.

The coach now has NO head coaching experience. Big shoes to fill. He should win a lot of games with the talent coming in. But, let there be a slip in both, or we don’t make any runs in the tournament.

What will really make his seat warm? More success 8 miles down the road.

The fact that you guys think a guaranteed 3 years minimum means his seat is hot is what I find humorous. Do you know what hot seat means? It's certainly not "oh, if he doesn't have some success this year... or next year... or the year after, ya know... he might not be here for long after that." If we start doing 3 year hot seats, there aren't too many not on that list.

The fact that you guys think a guaranteed 3 years minimum means his seat is hot is what I find humorous. Do you know what hot seat means? It's certainly not "oh, if he doesn't have some success this year... or next year... or the year after, ya know... he might not be here for long after that." If we start doing 3 year hot seats, there aren't too many not on that list.
im fully aware of what a hot seat means but the fact that you’re acting the way you are about it blows my mind. Any new coach is on the hot seat, they have success or they’re gone, each year without success gets a little hotter.. jon by no means is as secure in his job as a tenured coach that’s just the way it is.

And this is coming from someone that expects him to be great and be here for decades

Reactions: sheyduke
Really when you look at it I would give him three years but to say Jon won’t make the tourney is comical with in his first two seasons . Now should he not I’ll eat crow but I see both sides . Look at his recruiting classes and where they are ranked so that will also add pressure for sure but I think Duke basketball overall is in good hands .

It's unlikely but hardly comical. One year ago we were 15 and 13. But 2 years is pretty unlikely. Coach K set the bar pretty high, fair or not. I would be fairly happy with a top 4 seed and sweet 16 for this group.

Last edited:
I would be fairly happy with a top 4 seed and sweet 16 for this group.
You would be one of a few, imo. Like @pisgah101 said, the bar at Duke is high. I'm not putting Jon on a "3 year hot seat." That's people taking it way too literally. The seat Jon is now occupying is the hottest seat in the country. It's merely what I feel is an obvious observation. There's 10 times the pressure on him to be successful than the coach at Georgia Tech or Clemson.

I am not saying he can't be successful. But he hasn't earned what K had.

Then just say he's under a tremendous amount of pressure. I totally agree with that. The nature of the hot seat is that someone has the potential to be fired in the near future. It's not too literal. Hot seat and pressure are just two different things.

What’s classified as the near future, 2,3, or 5 years? To me, 2 to 3 is near future. You’re splitting hairs here.

Hypothetical next 2 seasons at Duke. 22-13, swept by the holes, bounced in the semifinals of the acc, and getting beat in the sweet 16 by 7-9. Follow that up with 24-11, losing the 2nd game to the cheats, losing in quarterfinals of acc, and not making it past sweet 16 again.

Did the seat Jon sits in get hotter?

What’s classified as the near future, 2,3, or 5 years? To me, 2 to 3 is near future. Some of y’all are splitting hairs here.

Hypothetical next 2 seasons at Duke. 22-13, swept by the holes, bounced in the semifinals of the acc, and getting beat in the sweet 16 by 7-9. Follow that up with 24-11, losing the 2nd game to the cheats, losing in quarterfinals of acc, and not making it past sweet 16 again.

Did the seat Jon sits in get hotter?
Not to me because your looking at 47 years as a head coach to a newly appointed head coach. Let’s face it there will never be another K but Jon isn’t living in his shadow that’s why L said not to expect him and practice or games because Jon has to run things his way .

Some seem to assume we will just roll on like before. That may be the case but that is kind of a best case scenario. Duke has a lot of momentum at the moment. I really hope that can continue.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Some seem to assume we will just roll on like before. That may be the case but that is kind of a best case scenario.
What exactly does ,” roll on like before !” Mean . We’re one season removed from not excepting the NIT bid to a final four run . It’s college basketball. If y’all are looking for Jon not to loose a couple of head scratchers or have to find chemistry and what works then every one is crazy . Kid ain’t K . There isn’t one coach out there that comes close to him . But K is gone it’s no longer his team it’s Jon’s and if you think his first season will be measured by a sweet 16 , ACC championship and beating the Heels twice your setting yourself up for disappointment.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Davis made the final four with all Roy’s upper class men with the exception of Manek. We will see what he can do during Jackson’s year because that will be a team of his making .
Actually it's possible that guys like Bacot, Love, Davis, Johnson, and Styles could still be at UNC for GG Jackson's 1 season.

Actually it's possible that guys like Bacot, Love, Davis, Johnson, and Styles could still be at UNC for GG Jackson's 1 season.
Lol love isn’t staying five years neither is Bacot . I actually believe Bacot is one of the top five players for player of the year. The rest I could careless about .

Some seem to assume we will just roll on like before. That may be the case but that is kind of a best case scenario. Duke has a lot of momentum at the moment. I really hope that can continue.
This!

Jon has all kinds of momentum driven by the strength of Duke over the past 3 decades and the success of Coach K. He has lined up two pretty amazing recruiting classes based on those accolades. To me, the real test for Jon will be a few years down the road. Can he keep the Duke machine rolling as one of the premier CBB programs in the country?

IMHO I think he will, but we still gotta' play the games.

First of all, Scheyer will at least be the coach as long as Coach K is alive.

Second, the Duke administration makes the decision, not a message board. Considering the recruiting Scheyer is doing, he would have to purposely lose to do so poorly that the Administration would consider replacing him.

First of all, Scheyer will at least be the coach as long as Coach K is alive.

Second, the Duke administration makes the decision, not a message board. Considering the recruiting Scheyer is doing, he would have to purposely lose to do so poorly that the Administration would consider replacing him.
What?! I hope so but I’m what world can you make that statement

Lol love isn’t staying five years neither is Bacot . I actually believe Bacot is one of the top five players for player of the year. The rest I could careless about .
Love would only need to stay 4 years to play with GG. But he's the one player on our roster capable of becoming a 1st round pick, so I guess we'll wait and see.

What makes you so sure Bacot won't stay a 5th season? You think the NBA is going to suddenly change course and start valuing traditional post players? Oscar Tshiebwe won National Player of the Year, and it didn't change the fact his draft stock was late 2nd round to undrafted. Unless Bacot turns into a 3pt threat, odds are he will still be projected to go late 2nd round or undrafted like he was for the 2022 draft. His decision next year will likely be the same choice he faced recently. He can enter the draft and end up on a G League contract, or he can stay another year at UNC and make NIL money. His mother was quoted in Sports Illustrated today saying Bacot will easily make over half a million on NIL this upcoming season. Quite a lot more than the average G League contract.

As for the rest you could care less about; RJ Davis becoming the full time point guard is the single biggest reason we went on that run at the end of the season. And Puff Johnson sure looked like a star in the 2nd half of the national championship game. Both have 3 more years of eligibility including the Covid year. I'm thrilled about the prospect of having their experienced talent alongside GG and maybe even some of the 2024 recruits we get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT