ADVERTISEMENT

27 reasons why the ACC is so good....

Hart, sir, the only reason I let you get off Scott free, is simply, I respect my elders. I understand you have a thing for Mac. That's all good. I actually just sit and wait to find out the Mods busted you and you are Mac, lol.
That’s cute Show. Hart and me have a thing.
If I was in your shoes, I’d be a little perturbed to have Datt agreeing with me as well. Not the best place in the world to be.

#Rent free

Reactions: hart2chesson
Allow me to reintroduce myself and break everything down real quick. We have an amazing team this year, IMO it may already be my favorite team ever, and I consider it to be the most exciting college team I’ve ever seen. (Maybe tied with the 99 Duke team) It’s funny.....we play just like the old UNLV/Houston teams which used to be the exact opposite of Duke basketball.

Now with that said...seems like most posters on here have no problem talking about how fun this years team is. Some posters when giving this team credit, feel it’s necessary EVERY SINGLE TIME to make sure everyone remembers how poor our defense has been the past few years, as if we don’t already know that.

And the worst of all...those certain posters never blame anyone but the OAD guys. IMO Grayson’s perimeter defense was just as bad as Bagley’s interior defense, but heavens if we ever say something bad about a Senior. We PLAYED BAD TEAM DEFENSE the last few years, it was never a single players fault, and some people just don’t understand team basketball I guess.

Reactions: Showenuff
I was wrong about Javin. I didn’t take the thread off the rails, plenty of folks helped do that.
I did more than my share to keep it derailed.

Wouldn’t trade Javin for anyone.

Hey Show, listen up. Mac and I are friends ok??? Sorry that bursts your balloon so badly. He told me about the Javin thing he was going to post, and I told him I was not entirely thrilled w/it and he better tread softly....Ok timeout, let that sink in, I want you to process it.....

Did he go TOO FAR? Yeah I am afraid he did, but when you several other posters AND MODS started working him over I decided to jump in. However we're like Datt says you and he are,we don't agree on everything. Btw, Mac even apologized (boy if you could learn to do that for some of your obscenity laced tirades it would be grand) and said he was wrong.....

Say what you will I will let it go in this thread. My work is done here.....I'll let others do the "heavy lifting." See ya 'round Show....Happy 2019!!!

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Heh, yea , I’ve never said I was wrong or apologized here. Only Mac is man enough to do that. LOL. Now my balloon is really burst. And yes, I’m extremely perturbed that Dat is agreeing with me , you know , being the disgusting low life he is and all. You buncha cabbage heads. Me and Dat go way back. And as he said, he and I don’t see eye to eye on a lot of things I’m sure, but not only is he an educated man, he’s got something some you knuckleheads don’t, common sense. Bad thing Mac is, his apologies only last 3 days,then he’s right back to repeat city. It’s just tired. We’re not trying to get in the way of your bromance, we’re just tired of reruns.

Let’s get it back on track then.

The stat regarding our freshman out scoring and having more steals than our opponents on the season is remarkable, even knowing that they would most likely all be the top scorers on the team. Will be fun to see how they respond in ACC play.

Let’s get it back on track then.

The stat regarding our freshman out scoring and having more steals than our opponents on the season is remarkable, even knowing that they would most likely all be the top scorers on the team. Will be fun to see how they respond in ACC play.

That stat has to go down, but it’ll be interesting to see if the reserves either pick up their production, or at the very least maintain what they’ve been doing.

Right now, the freshmen account for 65.8 pts, 19.7 rebs, and 13.4 asts. In terms of percentages, that’s 72% of the scoring, 43% of the rebounds and 73% of the assists. That’s not including steals, blocks and various other metrics that are more dynamic. Historically however, you tend to see those top three stats decrease in conference play. With better competiton mixed with fatigue, those numbers have to drop.

But that’s where the reserves have been so crucial for this squad. For instance, last season the startera accounted for 89% of the scoring. That’s a huge discrepancy. And it shows, once you got outside of your top 5, there was no real assistance. The rebounding and assist margins are very similar as well.

My point is that even though the 4 freshmen are putting up big numbers, there is at least some semblance of help on the bench, be it defensively or occasionally offensively. And there’s room to grow on that end. Alex could score more, Jack could score more, some games Ques will play and he’ll score when he’s in.

So while this squad is dependent on 4 guys for a lot of production (which is fine), there are also about 4 to 5 others who can come in and not hurt you. That’ll go a long way in conference play to help keep the main 6 fresh for the tournament run.

Right now, the [4] freshmen account for 65.8 pts... that’s 72% of the scoring...

But that’s where the reserves have been so crucial for this squad. For instance, last season the startera accounted for 89% of the scoring. That’s a huge discrepancy...
Good post. I edited it for what I wanted to comment on...

In case anyone loses track of the 5th starter and mistakes the difference as 17%, I went back and added Quis' points through 9 games and Javin's for the last 3. For the comparison to last year's scoring, then, this year's starters account for 77.3% of the scoring. None of which detracts from your point: tangible bench production is greatly improved over last year.

(Did y'all notice what I said about factoring in only those points Quis and Javin have scored when starting? What? Who does that? Yeah, that just happened.)

In case anyone loses track of the 5th starter and mistakes the difference as 17%, I went back and added Quis' points through 9 games and Javin's for the last 3. For the comparison to last year's scoring, then, this year's starters account for 77.3% of the scoring. None of which detracts from your point: tangible bench production is greatly improved over last year.

(Did y'all notice what I said about factoring in only those points Quis and Javin have scored when starting? What? Who does that? Yeah, that just happened.)
K has done a nice job of getting all of the 8 core guys into the game every night. He to this point has practiced what he said he needed to do to prepare this team prior to the season. Of course it’s easier when they are part of so many blow outs and i think that is why you’ll see a number like 77% raise when we are in the ACC. Games will be harder fought and there will not be nearly as many blowouts, thus less minutes for the bench. K will play to win as he always does, so be prepared if you’re Alex, Javin/Ques, and Jordan. If they play well he will show that he trusts you by remaining in the game.

I love the option of having both Ques and Javin playing the 5. It's great for us because they are completely different type of players. We aren't forced to 1 style of play like just about every past Duke team.

A team wants to spread us out and beat us with the 3 ball, good luck with Javin at the 5, we can switch across all 5 positions and play 5 tenacious defenders.
Oh, you got a quality back to the basket big and wanna force the ball inside (hello UNC), we got a shot-blocking monster inside to take care of that.

The only thing Duke needs is both Javin and 'Ques to stay engaged all year. Mainly 'Ques, there will be games where he only plays 6-12 minutes, because teams are gonna try spreading us out and beating us with the 3-ball.

Reactions: dukehokie
To put Javin's stat in perspective, lets assume he had taken twice as many shots this season and missed every single one of the additional shots. That is, instead of 25/29, he was 25/58. That compares really well with - Jack White who is 27/59 on 50% more minutes played.

To put Javin's stat in perspective, lets assume he had taken twice as many shots this season and missed every single one of the additional shots. That is, instead of 25/29, he was 25/58. That compares really well with - Jack White who is 27/59 on 50% more minutes played.
In Jack's defense, he would be much, much, much further along if only K had only ever given him a chance ever before this season.

I almost did this myself, but I got off of the toilet hahaha.

In Jack's defense, he would be much, much, much further along if only K had only ever given him a chance ever before this season.
Yeah, I'm pretty bummed that K only cares about winning and is wasting a good year of development for Joey Baker by (likely) redshirting him.

Good point by datt per Jack White. Probably true, but K wasnt embracing the bench quite as much last year. Jack showed significant promise however in the Notre Dame game at Cameron. Also showed he could get to the hoop pretty well when he took his man off the dribble from the wing for a dunk down at Clemson....

OFC

james_mcavoy-split.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT