ADVERTISEMENT

It will be KU due to not losing but most people think duke is #1. What will help duke is if UK goes on to beat the teams hey play handily because then the UK win becomes even more impressive (yes it can be more impressive if you destroy a team that goes on to destroy other teams)

Should be, but Kansas didn't lose, so they probably won't drop them

But Duke looked more impressive and beat a team ranked above them by 30+

I think, because we dominated a team that many expects to win it all will push Duke to No. 1 by a few votes. Now, had we beat UK by 3, I don’t think so.

2 ya got a chip on your shoulder to get to 1 and feel like you want to prove you’re the best team...1 you’re there and trying to stay

Reactions: j_flo and Liftee
What did Kansas do to deserve the number one ranking to begin with? That was just speculation because nobody had played a game yet. Now that both of those teams have played it's clear that Duke is the better team. For the people that say who cares, I am just discussing the rankings which will happen next week.

What did Kansas do to deserve the number one ranking to begin with? That was just speculation because nobody had played a game yet. Now that both of those teams have played it's clear that Duke is the better team. For the people that say who cares, I am just discussing the rankings which will happen next week.
Exactly. That’s the problem with football polls and the reason everything there is so screwed up. Arbitrary pre-season rankings mean more than wins and losses.

Reactions: Magnum45
Is there any way this team is not ranked #1 next week?

I don't think so, i.e., I expect us to be. Normally I'd say the #1 team wouldn't drop if they didn't lose but that was a very unusually dominant performance against the #2 team in the nation by another Top 4 team. And practically everyone saw it.

Hard to say but I think we'll be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quavarius
Returning plus recruiting class, it has always been that way. The can’t teally take the outcomes into account unless you know UK is better than MSU and even then I can’t recall rankings doing that before. I college football yes but not in college basketball when it comes to the polls. Maybe I don’t remember so maybe someone else can remember if a team has dropped this early from the top spot after winning

But Is UK even a top 10 team? I think we will be #2.

The only way that I could see us being #1 in next week’s poll would be if Kansas were to lose a game before next week’s poll comes out but since they don’t play again until the day the poll comes out I doubt we’ll jump up to #1 but I believe we could jump up to #2 in front of Gonzaga at #3.

Yeah it’s not like KU didn’t beat a slouch team in Michigan St. Let’s not get it twisted though, we know who the best team in the country is.

Returning plus recruiting class, it has always been that way. The can’t teally take the outcomes into account unless you know UK is better than MSU and even then I can’t recall rankings doing that before. I college football yes but not in college basketball when it comes to the polls. Maybe I don’t remember so maybe someone else can remember if a team has dropped this early from the top spot after winning
I think you’re saying it’s to early to jump Kansas, if so I agree. To many unknowns right know.

Problem is UK might be pretty bad here to start the season. Seems Unreasonable to beat the real #2 team in the country by 34 with a bunch of freshman. Better wait a few weeks to see how all the teams play to get a real sense of the Top 5.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
#1 or not, K has a little work cut out for him right now. Everyone in the nation has spent the last few nights patting these guys on the back. K has to keep them hungry, and not in love with their press clippings. Luckily he is the man for the job, and I think this team has the ideal frame of mind. I think someone like Zion has shown his focus even at this early stage, as he hasn't been distracted by his 8 zillion social media followers. But for everyone outside him and RJ, this is a whole new level of praise.

I hate to be a buzz kill, but Kansas COULD beat us, all it takes is us a bad shooting night and them to heat up. Let's not take on this nobody on Gods green earth can beat us now attitude. We're gonna lose a few games fellas. probably 3 or 4.

Reactions: HonkeyT
We could drop one in Maui. We could drop one AT Florida State. Syracuse. UNC. Let's play the games first.

Reactions: HonkeyT
We could drop one in Maui. We could drop one AT Florida State. Syracuse. UNC. Let's play the games first.
I'm pretty confident in us being undefeated going into ACC play. I was worried about Gonzaga in Maui, but their best big-man is injured. I think we roll through that tournament, and destroy IU/Texas Tech.

The game at FSU could be our first loss (FSU did to Florida what we did to UK), and obviously having to play UNC/UVA/Syracuse twice is extremely tough.

Reactions: Showenuff
Any games we lose Duke beat Duke. Imo. And Duke would really have to beat Duke to beat Duke lol

I'm pretty confident in us being undefeated going into ACC play. I was worried about Gonzaga in Maui, but their best big-man is injured. I think we roll through that tournament, and destroy IU/Texas Tech.

The game at FSU could be our first loss (FSU did to Florida what we did to UK), and obviously having to play UNC/UVA/Syracuse twice is extremely tough.
I’m pretty confident in us being undefeated until we aren’t hehehe

Reactions: consman
I always hate playing at FSU, Syracuse, and especially VA Tech. We ain't losing to the Holes this year, bank it'

I always hate playing at FSU, Syracuse, and especially VA Tech. We ain't losing to the Holes this year, bank it'
I hate VT. First game I ever went to see Duke play was in that building. Duke lost, i lost my car, took me 2 hours to get out of that crap hole after I (found) my car! VT is always a pain in the ass for UVA too...They always a dangerous game for everybody it seems.

Reactions: dukesince91
The only rank that matters is the last one...

How big a target do you want on your back?
A BIG one!
What if people can't see it?
Make it NEON!

Play for Duke and be ranked #1.

I'm not a fan of #1 ranking before the NCAAs ... that's just me.

The only rank that matters is the last one...

How big a target do you want on your back?
A BIG one!
What if people can't see it?
Make it NEON!

Play for Duke and be ranked #1.

I'm not a fan of #1 ranking before the NCAAs ... that's just me.

But when the shoe fits...Duke is the best collegiate basketball team on the planet. Wear that ranking with pride.

Reactions: QC Dukie
But when the shoe fits...Duke is the best collegiate basketball team on the planet. Wear that ranking with pride.
I understand your point of view, I'd rather let the Blue Devils' game do the talking....not the opinions of a bunch of sportswriters and coaches.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT