ADVERTISEMENT

Your Five Favorite Duke Games

Butler game was good, but it was kind of an ugly game. And i still sort of get a nervous stomach when i think about all the what ifs, had Hayward made that shot. I know we won but all i can think about when i think of that game is "what if that ball went in". Duke would've still been with out a title after 10 years, that shot would've replaced Laettner's shot as the most memorable in the tourney, it probably would've been deemed the biggest upset ever, or at least top 3. They would've made 30 for 30's about that game. I know none of that happened, but for some reason i still get nervous about it (haha). i just prefer to know we were Champs and not think about it.

I also thought that it was a super ugly game. It felt like scheyer, smith and singler were all getting held away from the ball and hit trying to come off screens all game long. I screamed myself hoarse watching that. I thought Butler were not nearly that good and we should have really beat them badly.

I agree with all of the nervousness, and the historical standpoint of having to watch the replay of hayward over and over again had he made the half-court shot. I also can't stand clark kellogg, his call at the end of the game and his takes during the game. So happy we won but definitely not a favorite game of mine.

I also thought that it was a super ugly game. It felt like scheyer, smith and singler were all getting held away from the ball and hit trying to come off screens all game long. I screamed myself hoarse watching that. I thought Butler were not nearly that good and we should have really beat them badly.

I agree with all of the nervousness, and the historical standpoint of having to watch the replay of hayward over and over again had he made the half-court shot. I also can't stand clark kellogg, his call at the end of the game and his takes during the game. So happy we won but definitely not a favorite game of mine.
That game most likely played a large part in college basketball doing away with the "hand-checking rule." The 2011 finals, Butler versus UCONN was even uglier than our 2010 game, which is hilarious.

I agree with your sentiment. Of all the championships, I watch that game the least. Was just an ugly game, also was a WEIRD game, no team led by more than 6 points I believe. Butler held us the whole game, they definitely used the rules to maximize their advantage, thank god we won.

My 5 least favorites -
1. '99 vs Uconn
2. '86 vs Louisville
3. '04 vs. Uconn
(We were good enough to win all three of those and should have).
4. '06 vs LSU
5. '90 vs. UNLV - embarrassing loss. I took grief a long time for that one from some friends. I expected UNLV to win but not by 30!
Nothing was worse than ‘99

Awesome thread to be able and go and read others favorites as well as go back and look at some great memories of games I have seen in person or by watching tv with family.

Mine would be.

1. 2015 national championship game against Wisconsin.
I was working this game for a media site. The whole experience was amazing. From thinking... well we may lose.. to seeing Allen and the team rally to win it. Going into the locker room and seeing the media swarm Allen not knowing he would go on to be the face of college basketball. And being able to interview an emotional Quinn Cook after he finally put a banner up in Cameron. Also got this awesome video of Duke players on court during the " One Shining Moment" you can see Quinn Cook tear up and K wipe his tears away.

2. Duke vs. Unc at Duke February 2013. I dropped a lot of $ (well over a $1,000) to get a front row upper level seat behind the Unc bench side. After getting a hotel.. it was like paying for a mini vacation lol... but I don't regret any of it. I took a Sony digital camera and my iphone and documented my entire experience in like a 18 minute video. It was a bucket list item I finally was able to cross off. I strongly recommend every Duke fan go once and blow the $. It is truly a unique experience.

3. Duke vs. Uva at Duke 2016. I was in section 19 to the left of the Duke bench. I had brought my buddy a Uva fan. Man! What an awesome experience to see Grayson Allen hit the buzzer beater against Uva. Cameron erupted and was as loud as I have heard it. I recorded on my phone the last play.. The video gets shaky as we were celebrating lol.

4. Duke vs Butler 2010 national championship. Being able to watch this game with my dad at the house was a good memory. I remember screaming and losing my voice as Gordon Haywood buzzer shot banked off the rim. Talk about a close one.

5. I could keep going past 5... Miracle Minute, Dockery buzzer beater, 82-50, my 1st game at Cameron 2003, 01, 92, 91 championships et.. it's tough to stop at 5 lol. But the top 4 above mean a lot to me.

Reactions: dukiejay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT