ADVERTISEMENT

What is wrong with Irving?

ioliva

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jul 30, 2009
dude was the nicest guy coming out of duke. Always had a bright smile and light hearted. Now everytime I see him he sounds depressed, always being seen as an awful teammate and weird stories come out about him. In interviews he comes off as a problem in the locker room. I’d this new story is true I’m very disappointed in him.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kyrie-irving-reportedly-refused-sign-140114749.html

Now that he’s been in the NBA for awhile he could be letting the fame go to his head. It happens with some athletes/celebrities unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
I agree with the writer, "its not a good look for him." As to the OP's original thread title/ question, I simply don't know. However i agree w/ioliva about the personality change, etc.....

OFC

Is there any evidence of that? If not, let’s not say such things. If so, then Kyrie needs to grow up quickly.

It might not be as simple as “grow up.” With athletes getting the opportunity to finally be viewed as humans, maybe he is dealing with something mentally. It’s all speculation at this point, but his life is now being documented constantly. That obviously can’t help his situation.

It might not be as simple as “grow up.” With athletes getting the opportunity to finally be viewed as humans, maybe he is dealing with something mentally. It’s all speculation at this point, but his life is now being documented constantly. That obviously can’t help his situation.

Its true about life under the microscope at Irving's level, but unfortunately it does come w/the territory w/such a lofty status. Social media, etc are so intensified.

I would submit if he is dealing w/something "mentally" perhaps the constant glaring spotlight, he is fortunate to have a broad network of Duke players who could give him some direction. I think of someone like Grant Hill for instance....JMO.....OFC

Last edited:
Is it possible that he thinks he's better than he really is. I don't know if that's a possibilty. I still think he's a top NBA talent. I can't figure it out. OFC

Is it possible that he thinks he's better than he really is. I don't know if that's a possibilty. I still think he's a top NBA talent. I can't figure it out. OFC

IMO this is exactly what I think it is...thinks he is better than he really is.

As a Celtics fans good riddance

Reactions: christophero
If that big 3 ball against the GSWs doesn’t go in a three years ago, how different is this conversation?
A lot...Kyrie is an amazing talent but I never felt he knew how to make his teammates player with him.

Had LeBron never gone to Cleveland then Kyrie is having Devon Bookers career so far

Reactions: christophero
The same debate has been said about his one season at Duke.

I would tend to agree with you on that point. For what 8 games or so, the blend between KI and teammates appeared to be working well, an excellent blend.

Then by the time he came back ( what, NCAA Tourney) the dynamics of chemistry appeared to be working so well, the Devils appeared to lose their mojo. Of course it didnt help we ran into an Arizona team in sweet 16 that I am not sure anyone would have beaten that particular nite.

Bottom line however Coach K was faced with a tough decision: re-insert Kyrie or go with what got you there. Personally considering the talent Kyrie was, I think its a no-brainer, you had to play Irving. Unfortunately it didnt work out well for the team (esp Nolan Smith) who's game really suffered that evening. It did represent a good NBA audition for Kyrie who played quite well in the Duke loss. OFC

Last edited:
Not sure what is up. Maybe not as explosive after his injuries? Guys do not seem to want to play with him anymore.

Reactions: hart2chesson
He’s been pretty much by all accounts a terrible teammate in both Cleveland and now Boston. It’s a shame because he is super talented but he seems to be a “me” guy and he has developed quite the reputation over the years as such.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT