Mar 24, 2004
1. Laettner shot from free throw line to beat UK In Regional Final
2. Banks jump shot to sent UNC game in 1981 to OT
3. Rivers shot over Zeller to beat UNC
4. Capel shot in 1995 from mid court to send UNC game to OT
5. Hurley 3 to clinch game vs UNLV
6. Grant Hill skying for ally oop versus Kansas in 1991
7. Laettner hitting game winning clutch jumper after in bounds vs UConn in 1990
8. Seth Dockery with 1.6 seconds to go catching inbounds pass from McRoberts and takes 1 dribble to hit last second shot to beat Va Tech
9?
10.?

In a tribute to pre Coach K Robbie West's 18 foot buzzer shot to beat the cheaters during one of our dark years 1972 . It was the night Duke Indoor stadium became Cameron Indoor Stadium. Give it a google. One of the great moments in Duke history. Duke was a big under dog in that game and had about three starters injured and played limited minutes. cheaters had such stars as bob mcadoo, bill chamberlain and bobby jones. Robbie West was a role player but got a lot of minutes that night. OFC

Last edited:
Hurley 3 is #2 given the circumstances.

You could make an argument that it's #1, in a general does-Duke-become-Duke-if- he-misses-that-shot sense.

But I'd still have it at #2. The Laettner shot was generationally dramatic and it set the stage for Duke to firmly entrench itself as the best program in the country, a position we've yet to relinquish.

Also forgot about Freddie Lind who had only scored about 20 points in first 23 games in 1968 but against UNC he scored 16 points as Duke won 87-86 in 3 OTs. Lind hit shot to send game to OT. He then hit 2 free throws to send it to third OT and later blocked Rusty Clark shot to preserve the win. He played 31 minutes due to Mike Lewis foul trouble.

Maggette putback dunk. Forget the game. When he slapped the backboard. Temple maybe.

I was there that night. I feel the team was Fla but maybe W.F. After he dunked it he was called for a tech and Coach K pulled him. As he went to the bench he went and sat as far away from Coach K as he could. I watche through my binoculars and Coach K got up and went to where he was sitting . I could read Coach K's lips. " Don't you ever%&$@/*#. " OFC

Reactions: christophero
1. Laettner shot from free throw line to beat UK In Regional Final
2. Banks jump shot to sent UNC game in 1981 to OT
3. Rivers shot over Zeller to beat UNC
4. Capel shot in 1995 from mid court to send UNC game to OT
5. Hurley 3 to clinch game vs UNLV
6. Grant Hill skying for ally oop versus Kansas in 1991
7. Laettner hitting game winning clutch jumper after in bounds vs UConn in 1990
8. Seth Dockery with 1.6 seconds to go catching inbounds pass from McRoberts and takes 1 dribble to hit last second shot to beat Va Tech
9?
10.?

Great thread. OFC

It wasn't a game winner or anything like that but my favorite shot was Marshall Plumlee' three pointer. The only one of his career and he still is Duke's all time leader in three per centage at 1.000. I still remember how loud Cameron was and that smile he had on his face going back down the court. Special moment. OFC

Reactions: topps coach
Thanks. It helps to ease the pain to remember the good times. How about Verga’ scoring 38 points to lead Duke over Penn State after Bubas has suspended 5 of the top 6 players for going to a party.? For whatever reason the biggest party animal Verga didn’t go and got to play.

Thanks. It helps to ease the pain to remember the good times. How about Verga’ scoring 38 points to lead Duke over Penn State after Bubas has suspended 5 of the top 6 players for going to a party.? For whatever reason the biggest party animal Verga didn’t go and got to play.

Verga was a party man. Big balls for Bubas to suspend 5 of the top 6. hof coach roy williams would have made his players run the banner dome steps or handle it like he did bacott and sharpe. Verga could play the game couldn't he. Thanks for mentioning him. OFC

Best 5 deep ball shooters ever at Duke? Verga , JJ, Jay Williams , Tate Armstrong with Kennard as 5th best?

Onethat comes to mind is Tyus Jones 3 against UVA to seal the game after J ripped off his shirt and had a UVA shirt on underneath pregame

Reactions: timritterus
Can't say it is top ten but Shelden Moore's cheater beater was pretty sweet. GVO

If you are talking about magnitude, Tyus Jones last three against Wisconsin in the 2015 NC is pretty darn huge.

635646944125369069-tyus-jones-usats_8830610_ver1.0.jpg

Best 5 deep ball shooters ever at Duke? Verga , JJ, Jay Williams , Tate Armstrong with Kennard as 5th best?

I think that is more of a question of who is the second best shooter in Duke history. Redick is so far out in front of everyone there (and everyone in ACC history as well).

I think Langdon is #2, and after that I think there are a several guys how could take those last three spots. I am not old enough to have seen pre-K guys to know where a guy like Verga would fall.

Reactions: Quavarius
Thanks for reminding me of that shot.

I was there for that game, remember where I was sitting (well standing) and remember the shot. that Pre-Cheat team went to the final 4 that year, #2 I think in the country. Good times.

Cant believe it took so long for Tyus' dagger 3 vs Wisconsin to come up.
Depends on your age. That was great, but it was a long road to get to that 5th title.

Hurley 3 is #2 given the circumstances.

You could make an argument that it's #1, in a general does-Duke-become-Duke-if- he-misses-that-shot sense.

But I'd still have it at #2. The Laettner shot was generationally dramatic and it set the stage for Duke to firmly entrench itself as the best program in the country, a position we've yet to relinquish.
Jmo but Without Hurley’s three we never would have become the best program so have to rank it number one

Reactions: timo0402
I think that is more of a question of who is the second best shooter in Duke history. Redick is so far out in front of everyone there (and everyone in ACC history as well).

I think Langdon is #2, and after that I think there are a several guys how could take those last three spots. I am not old enough to have seen pre-K guys to know where a guy like Verga would fall.
Imo opinion Verga was a better shooter.Taking the same shot without looking it up he shot nearly49% and did not have to use screens to get his shot off

Reactions: skysdad
Imo opinion Verga was a better shooter.Taking the same shot without looking it up he shot nearly49% and did not have to use screens to get his shot off

most posters on this board never saw Verga play. I did. He could flat out shoot it with anyone from a looong way out. OFC

Reactions: topps coach
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT