ADVERTISEMENT

Weird day in college basketball

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
So much for the high that ASU and Bobby Hurley were on....they lost today to Princeton. At home.

Western Kentucky dispatched of Wisconsin, and did it somewhat handily.

Something called Liberty blew out UCLA in Pauley Pavilion. Does Steve Alford survive the whole season?

UNC, despite their complicated offense, managed to roll over Davidson.

Lastly, the college football playoffs couldn’t have been worse. Maybe we should expand to 16 teams just to get down to these same two?

So much for the high that ASU and Bobby Hurley were on....they lost today to Princeton. At home.

Western Kentucky dispatched of Wisconsin, and did it somewhat handily.

Something called Liberty blew out UCLA in Pauley Pavilion. Does Steve Alford survive the whole season?

UNC, despite their complicated offense, managed to roll over Davidson.

Lastly, the college football playoffs couldn’t have been worse. Maybe we should expand to 16 teams just to get down to these same two?
I've already been thinking about who should take over at UCLA. Came up with Bruce Pearl so far. And you have to remember Liberty as the birthplace of Seth!
OFC

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I would like to see the playoffs expanded, but like DJ said, we probably still have the same national championship game. Clemson loses a ton this year from their defense so they may not be quite as strong next year. The problem is no matter how many Bama graduates or has leave early, it seems to still be the same incredible team the next year. There never seems to be much drop off. I don't see any likelihood of that changing anytime soon. They are still going to get the recruits. Especially as long as Saban is there and as long as they continue to be such an elite of the elites

It is amazing how Saban gets so many studs to come and stay. Their former starting quarterback is a perfect example.

This Alabama and Clemson thing is a big problem. I’m not sure what the solution is.

The solution is to beat them. No dog in the fight but as Ric Flair said: To be the man you got to beat the man.

Watering down the playoffs with more teams isn’t the solution because Bama and Clemson would be the last two teams standing again. Just a Honkey’s opinion.

Bama has been the best for a while. Clemson is right there with them now. That’s what good coaching can do. College football has a coaching problem. Plenty of talent out there, good coaching is the difference.
Bobby Hurley as the next Duke coach? Sure he can get his team fired up for Kansas, but his team lost at home to the same team Duke beat by 51.
Again, good coaching. No disrespect to Hurley, one of the best to ever play at Duke, I just don’t think he has that “it” factor to be an elite coach.

Reactions: hpnole and HonkeyT
I'm thinking along the lines of Honkey's post. I doubt any of us would be too concerned if Duke were in the position of either Alabama or Clemson. And all things come to an end...sooner or later. Either a weaker than usual recruiting, or a string of key injuries will derail them.
Now that said, if there is one thing that allows an Alabama to ride out such things is that they can stockpile a lot of talent on an 85 player roster. What is the NFL regular season roster limit...53? Cutting the scholarship limits by say...just 10 players would go a long way to keeping the elite teams from accruing such a massive amount of talent. Of course, no one is going to go along with lowering scholarships.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad and HonkeyT
This Alabama and Clemson thing is a big problem. I’m not sure what the solution is.
Teams better find a way to recruit or develop talent. Eat or be eaten. These kids and parents are not dumb. Send their kids to the best programs to get them to the next level. Before Clemson, it use to be them teams out of Florida. When you have great coaching, great results, on TV all the time, this happens.

i think college football would be better, and more affordable, with fewer scholarships. Every year the number of recruits signed by each of the top teams is staggering. Obviously they run off a lot of players. Make the recruiters work harder to be more precise and accurate with their offers and spread the wealth around. Don't know if that would filter all the way down to Duke, but it can't hurt.

Hey my wife graduated from Liberty...also I think I seen that Gardner Webb beat Wake
one of my daughters got her masters and doctorate from there. got to pull for them at times. this was one of those times. kinda like when ECU plays. Two daughters and and ex graduated from there..

Bama has been the best for a while. Clemson is right there with them now. That’s what good coaching can do. College football has a coaching problem. Plenty of talent out there, good coaching is the difference.
Bobby Hurley as the next Duke coach? Sure he can get his team fired up for Kansas, but his team lost at home to the same team Duke beat by 51.
Again, good coaching. No disrespect to Hurley, one of the best to ever play at Duke, I just don’t think he has that “it” factor to be an elite coach.
Clemson winning is good for the acc. I prefer Ala. to say Oklahoma or OSU being there. I would say Tarhole tech, but , they are never going to be good enough to get to the college football playoffs anyhow.

I’ll disagree. Hurley has whatever “it” is in spades.
His dad is a HOF coach.
His college coach is the GOAT.
He lead his high school team to a state championship.
He lead Duke to their first and second championship.
No one will ever touch his assists record.
Played against the Dream Team...and won.
Drafted and played in NBA.
He overcomes a near death tragedy.
And then he started coaching.

He’s got it. I think he’ll be at Duke. Maybe not the next coach, but the one after.

His dad is a HOF coach.

He’s got it. I think he’ll be at Duke. Maybe not the next coach, but the one after.

I like everything about this post.

I don't think the results this season say anything about there being too many (or too few) teams included in the playoff. This year there are clearly 2 teams at the top and then everyone else. That has not been the case most years. This is the 5th year of the playoff. A number 1 seed has won the title 0 times (2 wins by 4 seeds and 2 wins by 2 seeds). Before the 4 team playoff, had either Clemson or Alabama slipped up, they would have been passed over for Notre Dame. (see for instance 2013 when an undefeated Notre Dame team played in the title game instead of Oregon, who I have no doubt was a lot better team that year but had lost once). So just having 1 and 2 in the title game, while perhaps fine this year, is not a better system most years.
I think the "problem" will work itself out. FSU dominated for a few years. Georgia has been right there with Alabama the last 2 years. Clemson, as has been said, loses a lot. Oklahoma had a first year head coach, so I think they get better in time. The Big 10 and Pac 12 were really weak this year. We aren't going to see Alabama/Clemson in the title game every year. (remember when everyone said the NBA was broken when we saw Warriors/Cavs for the 3rd straight time?)

His dad is a HOF coach.

Couldn’t disagree more. Just because one was a great player doesn’t guarantee success at coaching, especially at somewhere like Duke.
He’s a legend as a player at Duke, but if he were to come back as the coach of Duke, he would ruin himself. I think it would be a disaster.

At this point in his coaching career, he comes unglued too often. There’s a difference between having fire and the way he’s doing it.

Last edited:
Couldn’t disagree more. Just because one was a great player doesn’t guarantee success at coaching, especially at somewhere like Duke.
He’s a legend as a player at Duke, but if he were to come back as the coach of Duke, he would ruin himself. I think it would be a disaster.

At this point in his coaching career, he comes unglued too often. There’s a difference between having fire and the way he’s doing it.
I understand your reasoning. I think Hurley’s best years are ahead of him.

i think college football would be better, and more affordable, with fewer scholarships. Every year the number of recruits signed by each of the top teams is staggering. Obviously they run off a lot of players. Make the recruiters work harder to be more precise and accurate with their offers and spread the wealth around. Don't know if that would filter all the way down to Duke, but it can't hurt.

Scholarship numbers for football have already been slashed to spread the talent around. This was done awhile back.

Reactions: dukephysics
His dad is a HOF coach.

You haven't got it if you let Princeton beat you on your home court. A lot of good coaches didn't see much playing time but were students of the game.

College football is no longer fun. I’m not sure of the solution, either.

I see what you are saying but I had a lot of fun watching unc cheater u lose this year especially wen we painted the Victory Bell Duke Blue for the 3rd. year in a row. OFC

Did my undergrad at WKU, so suck it Badgers!

You haven't got it if you let Princeton beat you on your home court. A lot of good coaches didn't see much playing time but were students of the game.

Roy Williams let Wofford beat him at home and he’s won three national championships. Does he not got it, either?

For the record, I don’t think Bobby will ever be Duke’s coach. I just think it’s insanely stupid to say someone doesn’t ‘got it’ because they lost a single game at home by one point.

Doesn't guarantee success, but apparently does guarantee disaster? o_O

Fair point about coming unglued too often, though. Might not be as simple to overcome at this point in life as showing him a highlight reel of his whiny expressions, but it's surmountable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT