ADVERTISEMENT

Vernon Carey JR commitment soon???

I think that Isiah Stewart will also come down to Duke and MSU. We'll get one or the other.

It seems like Oregon has picked up some ground with Stewart and Anthony. It’s been crazy to see the number of high profile kids that are taking OVs out there. They’ve also had Scottie Barnes, Chandler Lawson, N’Faly Dante, and Malik Hall.

Last edited:
It seems like Oregon has picked up some ground with Stewart and Anthony. It’s been crazy to see the number of high profile kids that are taking OVs out there. They’ve also had Scottie Barnes, Chandler Lawson, N’Faly Dante, and Malik Hall.

Eh. Oregon seems cool in their minds. The facilities are great and the gear is on point.
It is also on the west coast. Lot of late night games that aren't on TV. IT is good for a visit, but reality will set in soon enough. When MSU and Duke are on TV every game this year, saner heads will prevail.
WRT Carey, I'm more concerned about the Dleague contracts than Oregon. Ditto Cole Anthony. Those two are guys that would make out like bandits in the Dleague. In addition to the 125K, they'd each be millionaires via the shoe companies, post haste.
Stewart wouldn't be so eager to join the D league. His best traits wouldn't stand out in the delague like the will in college.

Eh. Oregon seems cool in their minds. The facilities are great and the gear is on point.
It is also on the west coast. Lot of late night games that aren't on TV. IT is good for a visit, but reality will set in soon enough. When MSU and Duke are on TV every game this year, saner heads will prevail.
WRT Carey, I'm more concerned about the Dleague contracts than Oregon. Ditto Cole Anthony. Those two are guys that would make out like bandits in the Dleague. In addition to the 125K, they'd each be millionaires via the shoe companies, post haste.
Stewart wouldn't be so eager to join the D league. His best traits wouldn't stand out in the delague like the will in college.

Don’t disagree. Imagine if someone did some digging, they may find out that guys like Anthony, Stewart, Barnes and Dante also had meetings with Nike regarding potential shoe deals with them.

Don’t disagree. Imagine if someone did some digging, they may find out that guys like Anthony, Stewart, Barnes and Dante also had meetings with Nike regarding potential shoe deals with them.

Now that agents are allowed more contact with HS players, agents looking to curry favor with Nike might want to make nice with Oregon's patron saint, Phil Knight.

Now that agents are allowed more contact with HS players, agents looking to curry favor with Nike might want to make nice with Oregon's patron saint, Phil Knight.

Exactly. You never saw kids taking OVs out to Oregon unless they were very seriously considering them. Now, Oregon has become a destination visit that kids go to even though they have little interest and in going to school there. It’s similar to kids going to visit Miami, UCLA/USC, or UNLV.

I mentioned this before but will say it again. We will see more higher recruits going to schools not usually highly thought of.

An agents input will go a long way especially when it comes to his side of the profit.

What school style of play that will hide a player’s weakness at the pro level will be key.i don’t see many top tier players taking the Gleague contracts do to injury and exposure to the weaker parts of their game. A lot of players in the Gleague aren’t making 125k so if anyone thinks those players are gonna let a youngster come in and outshine them guess again.

Reactions: jwill133
Personally i think Anthony ends up in the wrong shade of blue.

He has treated college the way us olds treat a prostate exam: Necessary but unwelcome.
He is EXACTLY the type of player that 125K D league contract was created to benefit. He's good enough to show out in the D league, and he's good enough that shoe companies will offer some money as well. He could make 500K to 1M in the year after college. Given that he has expressed no genuine enthusiasm for college, I could see him taking the D league money.

He has treated college the way us olds treat a prostate exam: Necessary but unwelcome.
He is EXACTLY the type of player that 125K D league contract was created to benefit. He's good enough to show out in the D league, and he's good enough that shoe companies will offer some money as well. He could make 500K to 1M in the year after college. Given that he has expressed no genuine enthusiasm for college, I could see him taking the D league money.

Just don’t see how it’s financially beneficial to pass up getting to play on ESPN or CBS twice a week and getting all that exposure that a program like Duke, UK or UNC can provide to go along with the market exposure during tournament time. Add onto that, your merchandise sales will be terrible because you haven’t built up a fan base or buzz before being drafted.

Yes, by your 2nd year in the NBA, you will start selling merchandise and shoes to your NBA’s team fan base, but is it worth $125k in salary to lose the exposure and immediate merchandise sales that OAD players get based off a year of being on TV nonstop.

Reactions: gawgaboy
Just don’t see how it’s financially beneficial to pass up getting to play on ESPN or CBS twice a week and getting all that exposure that a program like Duke, UK or UNC can provide to go along with the market exposure during tournament time. Add onto that, your merchandise sales will be terrible because you haven’t built up a fan base or buzz before being drafted.

Yes, by your 2nd year in the NBA, you will start selling merchandise and shoes to your NBA’s team fan base, but is it worth $125k in salary to lose the exposure and immediate merchandise sales that OAD players get based off a year of being on TV nonstop.

Cole Anthony won't get a signature shoe in year 1 of the D league. Kyrie, Durant, and even LeBron James didn't have signature shoes in year 1. Cole Anthony is the prototypical NBA pg right now. He's got near ideal size/length, elite athleticism, elite (at this stage of development) shooting, and elite team running ability. He's not Cousy or Magic wrt distributing the ball, but that isn't the PG position in the NBA now.
Point being, some shoe company will invest in him from day 1. Kyrie got a 3 year, 10 million dollar deal from day 1. Adidas, Under Armor, and Puma are making big pushes into hoops gear. Nike wants to protect is quasi fiefdom in hoops. So, the shoe companies won't let a guy with Cole's upside play without a serious shoe deal. In the current class, there are 3 guys who will merit a multi-year, multi million dollar deal: Cole Anthony, Vernon Carey, and James Wiseman. They've got the long term potential, but, even so, we are talking 3ish years for 5-10 million, not huge deals like Durant and LeBron. There are another 10-15 guys that would probably/possibly get a 1 year deal for a few hundred thousand, with a matching clause going forward.
I don't like the D league for bigs, especially skinny raw ones like Wiseman. Carey would fare better in the D league, but the D league will be hard for bigs, as they face incredibly stiff competition while playing with guards that have no interest in getting them the ball.
But Cole Anthony is exactly the type of guy that would excel with the Dleague contract. He'd get the 125K, plus another 1-3 million in shoe money.
I can see how some guys would prefer the exposure or experiences of college. Guys like Carey and Wiseman have expressed interest in college, and have taken the recruiting process seriously. Cole Anthony has not. His entire demeanor, matched by those around him, is that of a guy that has no interest in college. I'm sure he'd rather go straight to the NBA. But that won't happen.
125K from the team, with another 1-3 from a shoe company, will be a nice alternative to college for Cole.

I don’t understand the rationale of Cole going to the Dleague. It’s not like the kid is strapped for cash. Why not get some education, get to play on national tv, and attempted to develop under a hall of fame coach for 9 months.

Reactions: pisgah101
https://slate.com/business/2003/05/lebron-james-nike-s-90-million-man.html
Lebron signed a 90 million dollar shoe deal before he was even drafted...
And the Lebron 1's were definitely his signature shoe during his rookie year, remember they came out right before christmas his rookie year.

I couldn't remember if he got one in year 1 or not. Fair enough. There hasn't been a LBJ level talent since him, or even one that approaches that. Durant was closest, and he didn't get a signature shoe, though he got a huge shoe deal. Cole will be far closer to Kyrie's 23 year, 10 million-esque contract than a super deal. Regardless, it is still enough money to live large even though he only gets 125k from a team.

Corey Evan's (Rivals) in his blog said Carey's visit was a "rousing success." He also said, "The Spartans look to be the favorite at this point but the Blue Devils made up major ground over the weekend."

How does he know Michigan State is the favorite? I haven't heard or read that anywhere else.

I can't fathom Izzo beating out K for a recruit, and that's before even factoring in the insane situation going on in East Lansing.
I think were fine here.

Don’t think the kid can go wrong choosing between K and Izzo. Both are outstanding hof coaches that compete for national titles every year. Hopefully he chooses Duke in the end.

Reactions: gawgaboy and dbav
I think the shoe deals may favor going to college. No one is going to build a brand in the G League like they can at a huge name school like Duke or Kentucky. Bagley signed a 5 year deal with Puma at $2-3 mill per year.

I don't think shoe companies are going to give them big contracts when year 1 is going to be in the G League, and they may be more likely to get a rookie shoe deal if they've been on national TV all year so everyone knows who they are.

I think the shoe deals may favor going to college. No one is going to build a brand in the G League like they can at a huge name school like Duke or Kentucky. Bagley signed a 5 year deal with Puma at $2-3 mill per year.

I don't think shoe companies are going to give them big contracts when year 1 is going to be in the G League, and they may be more likely to get a rookie shoe deal if they've been on national TV all year so everyone knows who they are.
While I agree with the theory that college provides way more exposure than the G-League.....Darius Bazley just signed a deal with New-Balance for 14 million, 1 million guaranteed.

The guy who was supposed to go to Syracuse, decided to go pro. Wasn’t even a top 10 guy, ranked 10-25 depending on your recruiting service.

Reactions: jwill133
Don’t think the kid can go wrong choosing between K and Izzo. Both are outstanding hof coaches that compete for national titles every year. Hopefully he chooses Duke in the end.
True, but on the flip side, Duke absolutely owns Izzo and Michigan State:D

Reactions: QC Dukie
While I agree with the theory that college provides way more exposure than the G-League.....Darius Bazley just signed a deal with New-Balance for 14 million, 1 million guaranteed.

The guy who was supposed to go to Syracuse, decided to go pro. Wasn’t even a top 10 guy, ranked 10-25 depending on your recruiting service.

the 14 million part is on court incentives that he has to achieve, but they are taking a gamble, it may pay off, but right now an 18 y/o just scored a million bucks...kudos to him

I think Zion's shoe deal will be huge! I say he gets at least 5M per year, I was thinking 40M guaranteed. Who would not want him representing their shoes.

The Z19's will be coming out in May!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT