ADVERTISEMENT

UNC students using basketball team as blackmail

SWEc/o95

Cameron Crazy
Sep 7, 2007
Interrupted Town Hall meeting today with a list of 50 demands including the termination of the new UNC president.
"If anything we do know on campus, is that basketball is king". "They should be scared...very scared" referring to UNC brass.

Another Missouri on our hands?

Don't get me started. "The Real Silent Sam Coalition"/"Carolina Black Caucus" ( or whatever ) should be ashamed of themselves. I'll be as brief as possible. Deb Stroman is a piece of sheet. When the scandal broke and AFAM became the punchline , these same protestors blamed the MEDIA for what they considered an unfair representation of that department. The glorious flagship turned AFAM into a joke when they chose it to be "Ground Zero" for the scam. Other departments are involved but unx has taken great pains to scapegoat AFAM as if it were the only corrupt department. How 'bout athletes? Hansflop took those classes and I'd bet other white athletes did to. Ever seen one blamed for it? I haven't. Teachers? Nyangoro is the name everyone remembers. Coaches? Roy's a saint. Butch was fired withOUT cause and given 2 point 7 in hush money. John Blake , however , is some kinda "rogue" out there paying players an' doin' his own thing while Butch Davis ( the man who he 's kniown since high school ) was totally unaware of his unethical actions. Blake , for those who don't know , is black. unx purposely and with malice of forethought brought in black athletes they knew were incapable of doing college-level work. Instead of trying to teach these kids something/anything ( basic math skills , computer skills , improve their reading abilities etc ) unx did everything possible to keep these kids AWAY from a classroom. For taking the deal , the athletes were given cash , grades they never earned and all the other perks that come with being a star athlete at the flagship. It's an exploitative system made all the more disgusting because people like Stroman and the organizations mentioned refuse to call it what it is. Just the opposite , in fact. They defend this plantation mentality. Unreal. Now they wanna "stand with" a school half-way across the country when much worse racism is happening right in their back yard but they over look it because Roy needs to beat Duke. Disgusting.

I just don't get the expectation that the race of higher ed faculty represent the general population. You can't dictate the race of merit-based hires. Colleges already lower standards for many black hires, whatever that percentage may be. Now the students want more black faculty at all costs? Trust me, if there were more black chemistry professors, you'd have them already. They don't exist. Don't crap on school admin for something that's completely out of their control. If there's evidence of racism, then let's point it out and fix it. Otherwise, STFU.

Where will Dr. Stroman stand? She was "all-in" for supporting Mizzou...

http://chapelboro.com/columns/a-courageous-choice-football-or-freedom/

Less supportive of the cause on her own campus. Went on ESPN an' told Bob Ley and Phillip Jackson that it was the fault of student/athletes if they took bs courses offered by "rogue" academicians. About 16 minutes in...

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10672168

Keep an eye on this one , sports fans....

A unc town hall meeting on race relations on college campuses was disrupted Thursday evening by a group of students who took over the event and read off a lengthy list of 50 demands.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL LIST (.pdf)

The list of demands titled "A collective Response to Anti-blackness" labels unc Chapel Hill as an "unethical institution" which exploits labor, runs an "athletic industrial complex", and treats people of color as "less than essential to the everyday running of unc."

http://abc11.com/news/students-interrupt-race-meeting-at-unc-with-demands/1091983/

Not fer nuthin' but as far as the scandal is concerned , those protesters are absolutely right. Check Demand #47 , btw...

"Gone are the days when we ask for what is part due to us: we are here to take it."

That's all you need to read right there. Most of those demands are ignorant.

This country is becoming a joke, all people want to do is cry and complain and they aren't happy if they don't have something to be mad about. This politically correct crap needs to be put to a stop and some people need to grow up and get over some things.

Last edited:
This may become normal soon
six%20hunnit_zpsks0xtah8.jpg

Newsom used to work at unx...

Cookie Newsom‏@newsom_cookie

@DevilDJ32 @Humane_Force @tpowellabc11 @TGibbsABC11 @mmountshoop
Sketchy credentials, need your job you say whatever massa says say

From her blog. Speaks volumes....

Shortly after I arrived, within a few weeks, people black and white, who agreed with me and liked me began to sidle up to me and whisper for me to be careful what I said. The black people generally couched their advice in some version of ” don’t make the white people mad or they will fire you.” They seemed amazed when I told them that the road to Ohio still ran and if they did not want me there I would go back home. My ancestors, I told them, had not choice as slaves but to keep the white folks happy. Due to the sacrifice of many I no longer had that requirement. The white people generally offered advice of the type that implied they understood and liked/loved me, but there were a lot of powerful people on campus who did not get that speaking truth to power should be encouraged and not punished. This they told me was The Carolina Way. I soon learned that the Carolina Way consisted of pretending everything was fine, everyone loved everyone else and as long as the basketball team was winning what was not to love? It did not include transparency, anti-racism, anti-sexism, anti-homophobia, truth, honesty or justice.

https://minerva5.wordpress.com/2014...stitutional-racism-not-athletic-skullduggery/

Rashanda McCants@MsMccants

Students angry at unc hmmm wonder why? Are the athletes still not angry too? Just wondering

Rashanda McCants ‏@MsMccants

She said they asked her which team she was on like being black on campus only comes with a scholarship wow!

DevilDJ ‏@DevilDJ32

@MsMccants @Humane_Force @tpowellabc11 @TGibbsABC11 @mmountshoop @AlvarezABC11 Sounds familiar...

Reactions: pisgah101
Interesting. Wonder where Dean smith would have stood on this. OFC

I am not sure this is an appropriate topic on a college basketball messageboard -- as I think it raises far more complex issues than we can reasonably address in this forum.

With that said, the one point that really stood out for me is that video is that UNC literally only enrolled 98 black males in the last entering class. While that may not seem that bad on its face (particularly in view of the supposed 27% acceptance rate), that's really an incredibly low number when you consider how many of those black males are recruited athletes in the revenue and non-revenue sports who were not accepted through the normal admission process. In a state that is 20+% black, there's clearly a broader problem (not necessarily at the university level) when you can't attract and admit more than 50 or so non-athlete black males (or 1.25% of the student body) who have the academic background needed to excel at a place like UNC. I don't necessarily have a prescriptive solution for this problem. But I can understand why people feel frustrated and ignored.

Last edited:
I am not sure this is an appropriate topic on a college basketball messageboard -- as I think it raises far more complex issues than we can reasonably address in this forum.

With that said, the one point that really stood out for me is that video is that UNC literally only enrolled 98 black males in the last entering class. While that may not seem that bad on its face (particularly in view of the supposed 27% acceptance rate), that's really an incredibly low number when you consider how many of those black males are recruited athletes in the revenue and non-revenue sports who were not accepted through the normal admission process. In a state that is 20+% black, there's clearly a broader problem (not necessarily at the university level) when you can't attract and admit more than 50 or so non-athlete black males (or 1.25% of the student body) who have the academic background needed to excel at a place like UNC. I don't necessarily have a prescriptive solution for this problem. But I can understand why people feel frustrated and ignored.
What if they don't apply or don't have the credentials to get in?? I mean I live in a rural part of the state so if I look at the breakdown and find that of the rural part of NC that makes up at least half the state and say "they aren't admiting people who fall under a certain threshold on the poverty scale" can I call class racism and that they should put an equal number of people from every area of the state and every different economic class?? IMO the people that have the grades and credentials to get in should get in whether it's 100% black 100% white 100% rich or 100% poor. It will never ever break down perfectly equal and apparently it won't be "fair" to everyone but I think most of this is a bunch of whiney brats (which is what we as a nation are quickly becoming) who want everything to be equal even if it shouldn't be that way. The best survive

Reactions: gunslingerdick
Football team playing well, basketball team #1 in the nation...but Carolina is a complete dumpster fire ready to blow after the last 5+ years.

What if they don't apply or don't have the credentials to get in?? I mean I live in a rural part of the state so if I look at the breakdown and find that of the rural part of NC that makes up at least half the state and say "they aren't admiting people who fall under a certain threshold on the poverty scale" can I call class racism and that they should put an equal number of people from every area of the state and every different economic class?? IMO the people that have the grades and credentials to get in should get in whether it's 100% black 100% white 100% rich or 100% poor. It will never ever break down perfectly equal and apparently it won't be "fair" to everyone but I think most of this is a bunch of whiney brats (which is what we as a nation are quickly becoming) who want everything to be equal even if it shouldn't be that way. The best survive

I'm not suggesting that people at UNC are engaging in racism. If anything, their hands are tied by Supreme Court precedent that makes it very difficult for a state school to consider race in the admissions process (Duke, as a private school, does not have to worry about the affirmative action decisions). But, IMO, you can't subjugate an entire population of people for 250+ years in southern states like North Carolina and then express dismay when there is a residual longterm effect -- and then go, oops sorry about that, now go out and excel on par with those who subjugated you for 250 years while growing up in often broken families, attending crummy schools, surrounded by bad examples, with family members in jail -- often b/c of an inequitable approach to enforcing drug laws, with extremely limited resources, etc. And if you express any frustration about how nobody seems to be doing anything to address the fact that you have both hands tied behind your back -- well you're a bunch of whiney brats. I know we probably just disagree on this subject. But, reality is that just sweeping it under the rug is not going to make the problem go away. A lot of this stuff has been simmering under the surface for awhile, and is not just starting to spill over in the aftermath of some ugly situations.

I am not african american and can't pretend to know everything that they're feeling. But, personally, I think I can appreciate why an 18 year old african american kid at UNC could feel frustrated and alienated.

Last edited:
You know I really haven't seen any national attention on this in NC. Maybe I just missed it because I'm not much of a news watching person. It all depresses me and most of it is bias anyway. Is this getting any nation attention at all like at Missouri? Is this much to do about nothing and will the UNC athletic programs be questioned at all. So far nothings been done about the academic scandal other than a few scapegoats losing their jobs. My opinion is that is this does blow up it will not have any bearing at all on UNC athletics. OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ands-a-collective-response-to-anti-blackness/
You know I really haven't seen any national attention on this in NC. Maybe I just missed it because I'm not much of a news watching person. It all depresses me and most of it is bias anyway. Is this getting any nation attention at all like at Missouri? Is this much to do about nothing and will the UNC athletic programs be questioned at all. So far nothings been done about the academic scandal other than a few scapegoats losing their jobs. My opinion is that is this does blow up it will not have any bearing at all on UNC athletics. OFC

It made theblaze radio this morning! Glenn talked very briefly about it

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ands-a-collective-response-to-anti-blackness/

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting that people at UNC are engaging in racism. If anything, their hands are tied by Supreme Court precedent that makes it very difficult for a state school to consider race in the admissions process (Duke, as a private school, does not have to worry about the affirmative action decisions). But, IMO, you can't subjugate an entire population of people for 250+ years in southern states like North Carolina and then express dismay when there is a residual longterm effect -- and then go, oops sorry about that, now go out and excel on par with those who subjugated you for 250 years while growing up in often broken families, attending crummy schools, surrounded by bad examples, with family members in jail -- often b/c of an inequitable approach to enforcing drug laws, with extremely limited resources, etc. And if you express any frustration about how nobody seems to be doing anything to address the fact that you have both hands tied behind your back -- well you're a bunch of whiney brats. I know we probably just disagree on this subject. But, reality is that just sweeping it under the rug is not going to make the problem go away. A lot of this stuff has been simmering under the surface for awhile, and is not just starting to spill over in the aftermath of some ugly situations.

I am not african american and can't pretend to know everything that they're feeling. But, personally, I think I can appreciate why an 18 year old african american kid at UNC could feel frustrated and alienated.
So as a white southerner I should feel bad for something that happened 200+ years ago and give the descendants of the horrible stuff special treatment? I'm sorry but just because something happened to your forefathers doesn't give u a right for extra stuff now. It's part of the past and we can't change that but we shouldn't have to pay for those sins now when no one who was involved is around. I'm sorry I'm sure we disagree on the issue but we prob do agree on the fact that we both believe everyone deserves to be treated as equals and that's what I want no special treatment for anyone regardless

My family lived in cataloochee valley which is now part of the great smoky mountain national park and they were forced out by the government as was many many poor Appalachian families. Would it be alright for me to whine and complain and fight for money or the land back that was taken over 100 years ago? If I did or any other families that were moved we'd be laughed at, but groups like this cry about the same stuff and get sympathy. We live in a United States that is in series trouble when we start to do everything a small loud group wants.

Last edited:
And why now does it call for rioting and goin marching. If everyone would use some common sense and learn to stop being so freaking sensitive maybe they could get past the need to do this kind of thing. Grow up america, we are imploding and it stems from this need for self gratification. Find a hobby or something else to do with your time, go help a needy family or volunteer somewhere

Its really pretty simple crazy, rioting and marching are what brings them the results they desire.

This sounds like another broom,dirt and rug job. That space under the rug is only gonna hide so much dirt until it starts creeping out from under it. Gonna keep that guy with the broom busy. Job security. OFC

And why now does it call for rioting and goin marching. If everyone would use some common sense and learn to stop being so freaking sensitive maybe they could get past the need to do this kind of thing. Grow up america, we are imploding and it stems from this need for self gratification. Find a hobby or something else to do with your time, go help a needy family or volunteer somewhere

That's the thing they have no common sense. They only have what they were taught and raised to be, act and think. The entitlements are running out so they dig the dead horse up so they can beat it some more.

Don't get me started. "The Real Silent Sam Coalition"/"Carolina Black Caucus" ( or whatever ) should be ashamed of themselves. I'll be as brief as possible. Deb Stroman is a piece of sheet. When the scandal broke and AFAM became the punchline , these same protestors blamed the MEDIA for what they considered an unfair representation of that department. The glorious flagship turned AFAM into a joke when they chose it to be "Ground Zero" for the scam. Other departments are involved but unx has taken great pains to scapegoat AFAM as if it were the only corrupt department. How 'bout athletes? Hansflop took those classes and I'd bet other white athletes did to. Ever seen one blamed for it? I haven't. Teachers? Nyangoro is the name everyone remembers. Coaches? Roy's a saint. Butch was fired withOUT cause and given 2 point 7 in hush money. John Blake , however , is some kinda "rogue" out there paying players an' doin' his own thing while Butch Davis ( the man who he 's kniown since high school ) was totally unaware of his unethical actions. Blake , for those who don't know , is black. unx purposely and with malice of forethought brought in black athletes they knew were incapable of doing college-level work. Instead of trying to teach these kids something/anything ( basic math skills , computer skills , improve their reading abilities etc ) unx did everything possible to keep these kids AWAY from a classroom. For taking the deal , the athletes were given cash , grades they never earned and all the other perks that come with being a star athlete at the flagship. It's an exploitative system made all the more disgusting because people like Stroman and the organizations mentioned refuse to call it what it is. Just the opposite , in fact. They defend this plantation mentality. Unreal. Now they wanna "stand with" a school half-way across the country when much worse racism is happening right in their back yard but they over look it because Roy needs to beat Duke. Disgusting.
And, for these reasons , the NCAA should take away wins for those years, no post season for x number of years, and loss of scollys. If it were ECU they would really hit them hard. However , since it is tarhole tech, they will probably get little or no punishment. IF this happens the NCAA should never penalize another school for anything. jmtcw

With that said, the one point that really stood out for me is that video is that UNC literally only enrolled 98 black males in the last entering class.

Of that 98 over 30 were athletes. So , basically , for that incoming class of 4000 the "people's university" brought in +/- 60 AA kids. 60. BTW , the following year's class? Another 4000 new students and unx "welcomed" a whopping 102 AA students. Not sure how many were athletes. Regardless , unx's attitudes towards AA's is pretty clear. "We'll let ya in but only under 2 conditions...

1) You're the absolute cream of the cream of the crop ( academically ) of all the AA applicants or...

2) You can ball and provide entertainment for the white folks. Other than that , well , there's always community colleges and HBCU's. Later , homey." It's insane. Pretty sure , unx would never approach the Math Dept. and request that the professors provide no-show classes and Independent Study for the white guys on the golf team so they can all remain academically/athletically eligible. They specifically chose AFAM because....

1) AFAM , to unx , is a joke. "Who cares? It's not a legit field of study. Heck , half these athletes can barely READ anyway. What? We're gonna confuse 'em by exposing 'em to REAL academia?" And...

2) It was the perfect "cover" so to speak. unx knew very well that rival fans would be loathe to publicly critique the fact that so many unx athletes were majoring in it. Why? No one wants to be considered to be a racist and that's exactly the accusation unx could use. For example , if a bunch of Duke posters on Devil's Illustrated ever pointed it out , unx'ers could simply say those posters were "racist" because they belittled AFAM. "What?! Ya got a problem with AFAM?! Why? Ya think it's not a legit field of study? You guys sound like a bunch of bigots yada yada yada." It's disgusting and unx KNEW exactly what they were doing. Anyway...

Were You Denied Admission to the University of North carolina?

It may be because you’re the wrong race.

unc-Chapel Hill is a great university and we know it’s tough to be admitted. But unc continues to use an applicant’s race and ethnicity as admission criteria even though a 2013 U.S. Supreme Court decision essentially forbids these practices. We believe that’s neither fair nor legal and we are committed to ending unc’s racial preference policies in court.

If you have been denied admission to unc, we want to hear from you. Please fill out the form below. By doing this, you will be joining our allied organization, Students for Fair Admissions, the group that has filed a lawsuit against unc.

http://uncnotfair.org/

Reactions: Dad2ze
So as a white southerner I should feel bad for something that happened 200+ years ago and give the descendants of the horrible stuff special treatment? I'm sorry but just because something happened to your forefathers doesn't give u a right for extra stuff now. It's part of the past and we can't change that but we shouldn't have to pay for those sins now when no one who was involved is around. I'm sorry I'm sure we disagree on the issue but we prob do agree on the fact that we both believe everyone deserves to be treated as equals and that's what I want no special treatment for anyone regardless

My family lived in cataloochee valley which is now part of the great smoky mountain national park and they were forced out by the government as was many many poor Appalachian families. Would it be alright for me to whine and complain and fight for money or the land back that was taken over 100 years ago? If I did or any other families that were moved we'd be laughed at, but groups like this cry about the same stuff and get sympathy. We live in a United States that is in series trouble when we start to do everything a small loud group wants.
Amen brother......amen

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT