ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bennett is Retiring

As for Bennett not all coaches want to work into their sixties and seventies. It is a 24/7 job now with recruitment, etc. He can enjoy life with his family he earned it. His wife making list to do right now. Lol

Then why are we discussing what a coach said when he was 67 years old, while using an experience from his life nearly 50 years prior?
I don't really understand what you're asking.

Imagine this conversation...
You: I like chocolate ice cream.
Me: I prefer another flavor.
You: Then why are we discussing it?

Edit: Oh! Oh! I think I misunderstood what you were saying in the post I originally responded to. Neither you nor mac was going along w/ what Tubby said, right?

I don't really understand what you're asking.

Imagine this conversation...
You: I like chocolate ice cream.
Me: I prefer another flavor.
You: Then why are we discussing it?

Edit: Oh! Oh! I think I misunderstood what you were saying in the post I originally responded to. Neither you nor mac was going along w/ what Tubby said, right?
Yeah, I mean, I can't speak for Mac.

But that Tubby quote bothered me when he originally said it and has bothered every year or two since, as it keeps getting recycled. We just get further and further from whatever shred of relevance it ever had.

Reactions: Dattier
The Tubby quote doesn't bother me. Yeah, he said it years ago, and we all know it's not relevant to today's game. I tend to agree with what he said though, and believe the game is headed in the wrong direction.

These kids are on the fast track to becoming rich. But what many are missing out on, money can't buy.

Tbh I’d argue it’s great timing, right before the season. Staff stays the same. Kids won’t want to leave now and sit out the year after the whole offseason working.
Selfish in my opinion. The kids came to play for Tony. He’s able to leave but they’re stuck.

Haters always complained about K’s Farewell Tour but atleast he was honest with his players a year in advance and not deceive them. What Bennett did was a dick move and now the school will be a year behind in re-building.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Selfish in my opinion. The kids came to play for Tony. He’s able to leave but they’re stuck.

Haters always complained about K’s Farewell Tour but atleast he was honest with his players a year in advance and not deceive them. What Bennett did was a dick move and now the school will be a year behind in re-building.
Without knowing with certainty, my hunch tells me that his players were aware of this well ahead of time.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Has anybody ever just sat and thought deeply what it takes to be a coach in college? Mannn You got to coach your team watch film prepare practice manage politics people parents players , all while recruiting next year and the year after class forming relationships with those players families flying all over the place watching those players selling your program , then caring to YOUR family. Now dealing with agents. All while winning! I guess at a point it just becomes a habit and normal…but I don’t think I could do it.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Has anybody ever just sat and thought deeply what it takes to be a coach in college? Mannn You got to coach your team watch film prepare practice manage politics people parents players , all while recruiting next year and the year after class forming relationships with those players families flying all over the place watching those players selling your program , then caring to YOUR family. Now dealing with agents. All while winning! I guess at a point it just becomes a habit and normal…but I don’t think I could do it.
I mean, some of these things can be handled or at least minimized if you hire the right staff ... or enough staff.

The discussion on TB requires a lot of nuance and no message board is the right place to hash *all* of it out. But I'll take a stab at it in bullet-point form:

- There is a growing divide between coaches who fit the old model/climate/rules of college basketball (/athletics) and those who have embraced the new era. The ones who do more of the grousing about what their jobs have become are the ones who have put in decades of being head coaches; the ones who are newer to the profession only know about that life as assistant coaches, hence, they're not doing as much of the complaining. The newer ones still acknowledge it; but they're not the ones stepping away.

(that's why I wrote this story on Scheyer's reaction to TB's retirement; and did the same thing on the WF site for Steve Forbes)

- While understanding the timing couldn't be helped, TB having a revelation during fall break that his heart wasn't in it, this fact remains: The timing sucks. He recruited a team under the notion that he'd be their coach this season and pulled a rug out from that 20 days before their opener.

- He wanted his guy to get the job. Ron Sanchez left a program he'd run for 5 years to go back to UVA. As we've seen how many times now: The best way to make sure your handpicked successor gets the job is to orchestrate it while you still have the job. There is nothing about this aspect that should be used as a commentary on the state of college basketball.

- The NCAA has to find some way to curtail agent involvement and unlimited transfers. I don't know what the solutions are -- but that's the combination that's made things the biggest headache for coaches.

Did the players know or were they blindsided? That would matter to me. They can transfer but most rosters are set. The game is the same now as it was in May.

Did the players know or were they blindsided? That would matter to me. They can transfer but most rosters are set
According to what was reported last week, they found out because the news broke on Twitter.

Maybe that's a lie and they were aware it was the plan all along; it's a weird look, though, to create a lie that admits to keeping players in the dark about a major change to the program. I'm not sure who that actually helps.

Reactions: christophero
I find it hard to believe that Coach Bennett actually outdid Midnight Mike when it came to leaving his team. That just doesn't make sense. What do you think Conor?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT