ADVERTISEMENT

Seventh Woods decision looming....

Gamecock forum gives me the feeling it's down to South Car. and GTown. South Carolina is in his top 2, whatever they are. UNC was his dream school 3 years ago, but much has changed as he's gotten older. He's a nice young man according to many who have met him outside of basketball. His folks are good people.

I only see him leaving SC for GTown.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Thanks. I'll admit I haven't followed this one as closely since Duke has been completely out of the picture. If Martin can sway him to South Carolina that would be another nice coup for him.

Well what did Gary predict would happen? I'm guessing he said with a winky face and a lot of ...... that he is leaning towards UNC but wouldn't be surprised if $C pulled off the up$et here. Also, wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes to Gtown for immediate playing time which he wouldn't get at UNC. So basically he can't be wrong.

And here I thought DJ was soliciting some advice on his golf game.
So, if UNC gets him...could he considered a hole in one? Or could he be a double falcon? Ahh...the possibilities are almost endless.

OFC

SC is the heavy favorite. People here in DC who are very plugged in have looked at him as an after thought. I'd be surprised if it's Georgetown. SC and UNC top 2 IMO.

So, if UNC gets him...could he considered a hole in one? Or could he be a double falcon? Ahh...the possibilities are almost endless.

OFC

Hole in one. Classic dirt, just classic. OFC

OFC

I believe he would simply be referred to as "a hole".

I wonder if the avatar Gary-7 uses is a picture of himself. I know it looks like Moe Howard but you know what they say. Everyone has a twin. OFC
Oh no, Sky, why did you have to suggest that? I love the 3 Stooges, and now it's going to be hard to get that thought out of my mind.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Let them get all the commits they want. Will be fun to see how many re-open their recruitments once the NCAA hands down some punishments.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
UNC's punishment is going on right now. The uncertainty of punishment and the way it is effecting recruiting (a couple of 4 star guys is swell and all but not the 5 star studs that a program like UNC should and usually does get) is a punishment without actually having to hand one down.

^ Nothing will happen to them.

I agree, and it boggles the mind when you look at the hammer that dropped on Syracuse, and the recent Larry Brown stuff, and things like that. One could easily argue that what went on at UNC is significantly worse than any of the other incidents. When they end up doing nothing, how will they justify it?

Well what did Gary predict would happen? I'm guessing he said with a winky face and a lot of ...... that he is leaning towards UNC but wouldn't be surprised if $C pulled off the up$et here. Also, wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes to Gtown for immediate playing time which he wouldn't get at UNC. So basically he can't be wrong.
I think a sticky named "What dumb shit does Gary predict, say or think" would be appropriate.

UNC's punishment is going on right now. The uncertainty of punishment and the way it is effecting recruiting (a couple of 4 star guys is swell and all but not the 5 star studs that a program like UNC should and usually does get) is a punishment without actually having to hand one down.

Yeah, this has been huge. Not only has it killed them on the recruiting trail, but the core fiber of the Carolina Way has been ripped asunder. No matter how much the pr machine spins it, UNC will never be viewed in quite the same way. The ramifications of that alone will haunt many of the corrupt participants the rest of their lives.

OFC

Dj, I don't understand why you think nothing will happen to them? And I don't understand how Roy keeps saying that men's basketball wasn't listed on the NOA when it clearly was! Other schools have been hammered for far less, so why do you think they will get off without major punishment?

I understand where the 'nothing is going to happen' crowd are coming from...because I too have believed UNC will skate. But I'm not sure about that anymore. Anyone (other than the Tar Heel faithful) knows that this scandal pretty much dwarfs anything that has came before it. The NCAA has it's own public relations problems, and this could help make or break them. If they let the Heels skate, then everyone else is going to be really pissed (Syracuse & others even more so). If they drop the hammer on UNC then everyone (except UNC) is going to be pleased. Just from the point of practicality, with reference to the NCAA, it makes sense to nail the Tar Heels instead of letting them slide.
Of course, they may very well try to split the difference and satisfy everyone (which won't work at all) by throwing only a few minor roadblocks up for Carolina. The thing with that is that cutting a few scholarships, or some such minor penalty, is not going to be enough to satisfy the ABC crowd that are waiting for justice to be served... and that the punishment be equal to the crime.
The NCAA has a big decision on it's hands.

OFC

I really don't think UNC's recruiting is going to bounce back all that much. OAD recruits see how Roy's system can't be geared towards them. I've never seen someone turn so many top 10 players into multiple year guys. It's really uncanny

Dj, I don't understand why you think nothing will happen to them? And I don't understand how Roy keeps saying that men's basketball wasn't listed on the NOA when it clearly was! Other schools have been hammered for far less, so why do you think they will get off without major punishment?

Other sports will take the brunt of the blame. It's already being set up that way. The Heels bball program will lose a few scholarships just so the ncaa doesn't give them a free pass.

Other sports will take the brunt of the blame. It's already being set up that way. The Heels bball program will lose a few scholarships just so the ncaa doesn't give them a free pass.

Exactly this. I've felt this for a long time and have stated it. The sacrificial lambs are already lying upon the alter and are awaiting the lighting of the torch. But I've said this and maybe too many times but you can sweep the dirt under the rug but it's still under the rug. The cheating will never be forgotten at least by this Duke fan and I will not let the nation of UNC forget it either. It's there. It happened and I ay SHAME. OFC

I understand where the 'nothing is going to happen' crowd are coming from...because I too have believed UNC will skate. But I'm not sure about that anymore. Anyone (other than the Tar Heel faithful) knows that this scandal pretty much dwarfs anything that has came before it. The NCAA has it's own public relations problems, and this could help make or break them. If they let the Heels skate, then everyone else is going to be really pissed (Syracuse & others even more so). If they drop the hammer on UNC then everyone (except UNC) is going to be pleased. Just from the point of practicality, with reference to the NCAA, it makes sense to nail the Tar Heels instead of letting them slide.
Of course, they may very well try to split the difference and satisfy everyone (which won't work at all) by throwing only a few minor roadblocks up for Carolina. The thing with that is that cutting a few scholarships, or some such minor penalty, is not going to be enough to satisfy the ABC crowd that are waiting for justice to be served... and that the punishment be equal to the crime.
The NCAA has a big decision on it's hands.

THIS^^^. unc ain't gonna "skate." They might not get what's warranted (Death Penalty. Seriously.) but they'll take a nice hit. Ask yourselves this. You're wrongly accused of a crime but you can PROVE you're wrongly accused. What do ya do? Drag out your case as long as possible enduring all manner of speculation and hits to your reputation while ya also lose untold amounts of money OR do ya try and adjudicate your case as quickly as possible so ya can save some money , put it behind ya and not have your good name dragged thru the mud in front of the entire world? It ain't complicated. If they were clean and could prove it they woulda done it 4+ years ago. They can't so they haven't. Like I said , it ain't complicated. As to Woods...haven't followed this recruitment that closely but from all accounts , the kid's stock has dropped considerably and now unx is fighting South Carolina for his services. With all due respect to the Gamecocks and their fans , unx isn't used to having to go against South Carolina for BASKETBALL players. Says way more about the current state of unx then it does SC. Jus' sayin.'

THIS^^^. unc ain't gonna "skate." They might not get what's warranted (Death Penalty. Seriously.) but they'll take a nice hit. Ask yourselves this. You're wrongly accused of a crime but you can PROVE you're wrongly accused. What do ya do? Drag out your case as long as possible enduring all manner of speculation and hits to your reputation while ya also lose untold amounts of money OR do ya try and adjudicate your case as quickly as possible so ya can save some money , put it behind ya and not have your good name dragged thru the mud in front of the entire world? It ain't complicated. If they were clean and could prove it they woulda done it 4+ years ago. They can't so they haven't. Like I said , it ain't complicated. As to Woods...haven't followed this recruitment that closely but from all accounts , the kid's stock has dropped considerably and now unx is fighting South Carolina for his services. With all due respect to the Gamecocks and their fans , unx isn't used to having to go against South Carolina for BASKETBALL players. Says way more about the current state of unx then it does SC. Jus' sayin.'
I know this is your crusade, and the amount of due diligence of research you've done is astronomical to me, but I just have to disagree with you that the final outcome of all of this is minuscule when it come to MBB. They will lose a couple schollys per year for a few years and maybe Roy is sidelined for a couple games. Tops- other sports will be decimated.

The NCAA is handing out post-season bans like they're M &M's. unx gets at least that. Unfortunately , a single year is probably all they get when multiple seasons ( across multiple sports! ) are warranted. If unx was being sanctioned under the new model , Roy would be assessed a "show-cause" too. Again , unfortunately , unx dodged a bullet on that one so Roy's Sgt. Shultz impression probably spares 'im the penalty. Anyway , I would be as pessimistic as you but too many eyes are on this one and the NCAA is in a position of having to justify their existence. Too many lawsuits on the way also. How's the NCAA been doin' in the ones they've participated in so far? Writing's on the wall. They gotta hit unx whether they want to or not. Otherwise , all that money they're used to making off the backs of "amateur" athletes goes bye-bye. unx won't get nearly the sanctions they deserve but they'll get hit with more than a couple of scholly losses.

Reactions: bob_duke_jd

Indeed. This kid's father played for Roy and Williams recently flew to Finland to recruit 'im. unx was supremely confident on this one...

Guess not. Lulz. "Painu Helvettiin, Carolina! Mene Helvettiin...!"

Five-star power forward Lauri Markkanen commits to Arizona

Five-star power forward Lauri Markkanen verbally committed to Sean Miller and Arizona early Saturday morning, he told Scout.

Markkanen, a native of Finland, committed during his official visit to Arizona.

"I think I have a chance to go play against great guys every day in practice," Markkanen said. "I think I can get minutes here. I like everything I see here."

Prior to visiting Arizona, Markkanen visited Utah and North Carolina. Both of those official visits were within the last week.

http://www.scout.com/college/basket...339-five-star-lauri-markkanen-commits-arizona

Last edited:
Indeed. This kid's father played for Roy and Williams recently flew to Finland to recruit 'im. unx was supremely confident on this one...

Guess not. Lulz. "Painu Helvettiin, Carolina! Mene Helvettiin...!"

Five-star power forward Lauri Markkanen commits to Arizona

Five-star power forward Lauri Markkanen verbally committed to Sean Miller and Arizona early Saturday morning, he told Scout.

Markkanen, a native of Finland, committed during his official visit to Arizona.

"I think I have a chance to go play against great guys every day in practice," Markkanen said. "I think I can get minutes here. I like everything I see here."

Prior to visiting Arizona, Markkanen visited Utah and North Carolina. Both of those official visits were within the last week.

http://www.scout.com/college/basket...339-five-star-lauri-markkanen-commits-arizona
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I know this is your crusade, and the amount of due diligence of research you've done is astronomical to me, but I just have to disagree with you that the final outcome of all of this is minuscule when it come to MBB. They will lose a couple schollys per year for a few years and maybe Roy is sidelined for a couple games. Tops- other sports will be decimated.
That sounds about right to me.

Roy usually keeps the larder pretty well stocked. So losing a couple of scholarships might actually be a hardship for him. He tends to play more guys deeper into the season than most, using depth as a 6th man. So without that depth, he'll have to adjust. And he's not a coach you think of as adjusting all that easily - although, to be fair, he's done it more than might have been expected in recent years.

I thought UNC's late response to the original notice, and then their finding that added more months to the process, showed that they were very worried about possibly missing post-season play this year, when they should make a deep run. Needless to say, I got hammered when I suggested this on the UNC board. Might not be true, but still seems like an obvious inference to me.

Now that doesn't mean that they will miss a year of post-season play. Just that they were worried enough to try to run the clock out.

While i don't think they'll get a post season ban, i tend to agree, you let it drag on as long as possible this year to get to the point where no ruling will hurt this coming year's chances. B/c this is it for UNC. UNC better win it all....b/c if you dont. Welp it'll be a long long time before they're back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT