ADVERTISEMENT

Season predictions

WAY too early for that, especially considering that Lively and Whitehead will likely not play tomorrow and, in Whitehead’s case, for several weeks. We need to see them in the rotation before we have a feel about this team. That said (!), I’m going to stick with what I’ve said each year after we embraced the OAD model: We’ll win a lot of games, lose some head scratching games, and be strong at the end of the season. I’d be surprised to see us win the regular season ACC title, but I expect us to be strong at the end of the season, including the ACC tourney. My gut tells me we’ll end up as a 2 or 3 seed in the NCAA’s. We split regular season games with UNCheat.

I’ll add this to my above post. I was a big advocate of Jaden Schutt’s ability to contribute this year, and while i still feel he has great shooting form, it seems obvious that this level is still too fast for him. Might be a redshirt candidate, but in any event, i don’t expect much from him this year. But ultimately he’s going to be a stud.

So many variables this year. We don't have that base of returnees we usually have, but we do have our PG. Young and Grandison should provide experience, although it's not Duke experience. We don't know how good Whitehead or Lively will be, or when these guys return. If Lively doesn't play Monday that will be 3 weeks he's missed. Mitchell has been better than expected, Flip a bit worse than expected, and Proctor about the same. Schutt looks a year away. Assuming these guys return soon and no other injuries, I'm gonna say a 2 or 3 seed. We may have 2 losses before Christmas. We finish third in the ACC, and possibly make a run if the team gels in time. Oh and we also have a new coach replacing the GOAT. How does Jon respond when we lose 2 straight ACC games? Will the nice guy approach work? We shall soon find out.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
In April, 4 freshman will declare for the draft. That’s not a prediction as much as it is the routine

Reactions: hart2chesson
Can someone point me to a roster pls...i have no idea who is on our team anymore so hard to predict any outcome..

Very rough early Predictions pre game 1 I might have to revisit this after the Kansas game-

8 loses- split with UNC but beat them in the ACC tourney for a 2-1 lead

Elite 8 as a 4 seed and we knock out Gonzaga as a 1 in the sweet 16
Yeah I agree. 8 or 9 losses heading into the tourney and about a 4 seed. Think we struggle throughout the year offensively and develop into a really good defensive team.

Reactions: pisgah101
Sure it's early but I think we will finish in the top ten in the country and for sure the great eight and good chance at the final four. We will drop at some point in the season to around 15 or 16 during those tough ACC stretches but bounce back. Injury free is the main thing to success. OFC

Not sure how they will be, but I’d take a split with the holes if it was offered to me right now.
Believe they will lose at least 8. My hope is after the new year, we see some improving.

We get an F in injury free so far this year. 2 starters out. But hopefully they get back soon.
Yea I guess I needed to clarify that. I'm well aware of the injuries to Lively and Whitehead but we really should have both back early season at least and for Lively tonight it's a game time decision. If he is good to go I would think he gets some warm up minutes as we preparevfor KU coming soon. Hopefully Whitehead will be ready for thr KU game in limited minutes Coach Scheyer said last week he was a couple of weeks away. We will nred a healthy Lively and Whitehead vs KU. Right now no need to rush either back. What I should have said was injury free after they return. OFC

At some point during the season Pisgah starts a "Who will succeed Scheyer?" thread.
#GoDuke

OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
I see seven losses and a sweet 16. Anything better is awesome and no less then a three seed.
Duke doesn’t have to rush anyone back from injury so I would allow the bench players to get more time .

Btw; Final Four. I really feel strongly about that. Young, Flip and Blakes are all going to get better as season wears on. We played fairly well last nite w/o two studs. This team will develop throughout year, and be ready come tourney time!

OFC

Btw; Final Four. I really feel strongly about that. Young, Flip and Blakes are all going to get better as season wears on. We played fairly well last nite w/o two studs. This team will develop throughout year, and be ready come tourney time!

OFC
After seeing last night if we develop like we should we have a good shot.. I was so impressed I can’t get over how much we looked like a “team”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT