ADVERTISEMENT

Point guard for next year?

Tre coming back is the difference between Duke being the National title favorite or Duke being one of the 10-15 teams in the hunt for a title (still fine, but not near as dominant as this year.)

I'm not banking on it, there is a new projection per Dime Magazine that has him going 17th, mostly all other projections he's in the 20's but trending in the right directon.

I gotta say....I disagree with those who believe we will be fine with Goldwire and Boogie playing PG. I love Goldwire, but he just isn't a Duke caliber starting PG, sorry if that comes off as harsh. And Boogie isn't even a PG, possibly by his JR or SR year (if were lucky to have him that long) he may have PG skills.
I'm sure K has contigency plan after contingency plan ready if Tre leaves, but I'd be excited to bring in an experienced PG for the year. Were gonna have ELITE shooting next year, and a few dominant bigs, I'd hate to have all that talent go to waste without a solid floor general. (Just like what happened to the 2017 Duke team.)

I'm sort of guessing about what some of these sentences mean, but I would put the phrase "first round guarantee" in, well, "quotations."
There are maybe 15-20 guys who are GUARANTEED to go first round. After that it gets dicey. Even if a team has promised a player they'll take him, that is subject to change.
Every year some team reaches on a player, which causes a cascade effect that pushes other guys down. All it would take would be some team liking Tre enough to promise to take him, only to get a great trade option on draft night, or for a player they like more than Tre to unexpectedly fall to that team.
Tyus's projections leading into the draft were mid first round. Relative to that, he "fell" a little. Not much, and certainly within a standard deviation or reasonable amount.
If Tre is projected later in the first round, again, because of shooting, that might be too risky. If you are projected around 15 and fall 4-5 spots, fine. Still a guaranteed first round deal. If you are projected in the 20-25 range? Any reasonable fall could doom you to the uncertainties of the second round. And the later in the first round you get, the crazier it gets. Playoff teams are willing to take fliers on longshots, raw-but-athletic bigs, or to stash foreign players. Or make crazy trades. A mid to late 20s grade is too much to gamble on. Duke's situation is too good for him.
Tre Duval was in a similar situation to Tre Jones. Dicey first round pick. Duval knew that Tre Jones was inbound, and that Jones was an ideal college PG. Had Tre Jones not been committed, Duval would be back at Duke this year. Tre Jones has no incoming PG nipping at his heels. He could spend the summer working out full time with his bro vs NBA talents, while really focusing on his 3pt stroke. Next year, he shoots well from the perimeter, and the FT line, and moves into the middle of the first round (his likely ceiling).
Again, if he shoots well this season, and we win the title, he gone. But if he shoots poorly and we win the title.....Well, like I said, it is murky.
Yeah i guess guarantee is a little too strong of a word, i guess It’s more of a pretty high likelihood that you are going to get picked up in the first round, he goes. My second point being that if they believe that whatever feedback he gets at the end of the year about his draft prospects if his camp believes it can’t rise from there he goes. He goes regardless of where we finish if those two things are true.

I am not sure i agree that Duval stays if Tre wasn’t already committed. Duval was always going to leave.

Tre coming back is the difference between Duke being the National title favorite or Duke being one of the 10-15 teams in the hunt for a title (still fine, but not near as dominant as this year.)

I'm not banking on it, there is a new projection per Dime Magazine that has him going 17th, mostly all other projections he's in the 20's but trending in the right directon.

I gotta say....I disagree with those who believe we will be fine with Goldwire and Boogie playing PG. I love Goldwire, but he just isn't a Duke caliber starting PG, sorry if that comes off as harsh. And Boogie isn't even a PG, possibly by his JR or SR year (if were lucky to have him that long) he may have PG skills.
I'm sure K has contigency plan after contingency plan ready if Tre leaves, but I'd be excited to bring in an experienced PG for the year. Were gonna have ELITE shooting next year, and a few dominant bigs, I'd hate to have all that talent go to waste without a solid floor general. (Just like what happened to the 2017 Duke team.)
I agree on the goldwire and boogie point guard comment. That isn’t ideal and I’m not sure i even want boogie to have to worry about that responsibility as a freshman.

Reactions: bfort2223
Tre will not be a lack down defender in the NBA. Abandon that dream (if not outright delusion).

Would you say Chris Paul was a lock down defender in his prime? Would you say Chris Paul is more athletic than Tre? My point being you don’t need to be the tallest or jump the highest to play lock down defense. To date Tre has played some of the best defense in the country and until I see otherwise I will still consider that to be an attractive trait to NBA scouts.

I’m not saying you are wrong or that Tre won’t regress as the competition stiffens, but what, can I ask you, have you seen to date that allows you to call it a dream or delusion? Your only supporting evidence is that he hasn’t played the best yet? So in that same spirit should I be worried about Zion’s athleticism or RJ’s ability to score? I mean they haven’t done it against the top talent of college basketball so it must be delusional to think otherwise.

Again not saying you’re wrong but I take a bit of an issue with your writing style. You have a habit of writing many opinions as facts and the tone of your posts come off as overly arrogant and frankly a little douchey. Not saying you are any of those things, just your writing style. Take it however you want, just my opinion.

Reactions: dukehokie
Just to be clear Yates, I actually enjoy reading some of the substance of your posts, I just don’t care for your writing style.

Yeah i guess guarantee is a little too strong of a word, i guess It’s more of a pretty high likelihood that you are going to get picked up in the first round, he goes. My second point being that if they believe that whatever feedback he gets at the end of the year about his draft prospects if his camp believes it can’t rise from there he goes. He goes regardless of where we finish if those two things are true.

I am not sure i agree that Duval stays if Tre wasn’t already committed. Duval was always going to leave.

I’m fine with you using the word guarantee if you are talking about the promise and not the outcome. And to be honest the promise is most relevant in discussing the likelihood of Tre leaving. First round guarantees are a thing and they are very persuasive. Assuming there is a team(s) out there that offers Tre a first round guarantee, it doesn’t matter what the outcome is. Once he declares and stays in the draft, that’s it. So a first round guarantee is a first round guarantee whether he’s drafted in the first, second or not at all.

I know these things are fluid, but seeing the recent trend with Duke guys and guys from around the country, a first round guarantee is almost always enough to persuade someone out the door.

I’m fine with you using the word guarantee if you are talking about the promise and not the outcome. And to be honest the promise is most relevant in discussing the likelihood of Tre leaving. First round guarantees are a thing and they are very persuasive. Assuming there is a team(s) out there that offers Tre a first round guarantee, it doesn’t matter what the outcome is. Once he declares and stays in the draft, that’s it. So a first round guarantee is a first round guarantee whether he’s drafted in the first, second or not at all.

I know these things are fluid, but seeing the recent trend with Duke guys and guys from around the country, a first round guarantee is almost always enough to persuade someone out the door.
Yeah a guarantee is taking it very literally, but you got my point. I agree, especially about this era we are in- more often than not, they’re leaving. More often than not, i can’t say i blame them. Except at UNC, they only stay because of their love of college and UNc. Don’t forget that.

Reactions: chov1125
Put Tre in San Antonio and pop will have him looking like an All Star point guard. They’re one of the few nba teams that have structure

Jordan Brinson from a Westchester High Achool in Las Vegas. This kid is a 4 star. He isn’t scared to drive, plays great D, and plays until the last second.

Put Tre in San Antonio and pop will have him looking like an All Star point guard. They’re one of the few nba teams that have structure
This is one of my favorite go to lines, “so and so would be great in a place like, i don’t know, SAN ANTONIO!!!”

Testament to Pop as a coach though that is for sure .

This is one of my favorite go to lines, “so and so would be great in a place like, i don’t know, SAN ANTONIO!!!”

Testament to Pop as a coach though that is for sure .

Tre would be Tony Parker. Parker wasn’t a shooter. Pop had an offense that made him effective though. If Tre develop the mid range then he can be a long time starter. He has the floater game already

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT