ADVERTISEMENT

Pisgahs “official” end of the season thread

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
This will be my last thread called “official” until next season but I wanted to post a wrap up.

Duke ended the season
- 27-9
-ACC Champions
-undefeated at home
-7-3 neutral court
-4-6 away
Kyle filipowski lead Duke in scoring and rebounds and steals at 15.1, 8.9 and 1.3… Tyrese Proctor lead us in assist with 3.3 and Derek lively lead us in blocks at 2.4

All in all I count this season as a success. We were two bad calls (uva and VT) from winning the ACC outright and likely having a 2 seed. If those things happened or we get a fair whistle agains UT I think we were playing another weekend. From where we were in Jan to where we finished I don’t think anyone would complain except maybe Koach. The future looks extremely good and i for one am pumped for next season! But I also want to encourage all the posters here to stick around in the off-season. A portion of us stay around and it makes it better with more people. I really like where the board is now and want it to continue to flourish!

Also want to thank @timo0402 for letting me post the game day threads. I really enjoyed it and hope I didnt screw up too much and get to keep my job! Haha

GO DUKE!!

Pisgah , you did an excellent job on the threads .

It was good to see the team really turn the light on toward the end of the season and watch the freshman grow. Proud of the team and staff and looking forward to the future of Duke basketball

I very much enjoyed this season, that was quite a turnaround despite all the stupid injuries, and they hung a banner in the process. Then these other nice caveats of 16-0 at home, sweeping the arch-rival, they had the fourth longest winning streak ever for a Duke team entering the NCAA Tournament. This team and its first-year head Coach did the program proud.

Jon had a good solid first year. I can't say not getting out of the first weekend is a great year, as that is what people remember. Getting our guys back has been the biggest positive for me, as lessons learned this year can be applied to next year. All in all the year was a success; given we almost had an entire new team. and a new coach. Looking forward to making a deep run next year. I get that anything can happen in the tournament, but getting a better seed makes it easier.

Reactions: Devilinside
If we return Flip then I give this season an A-. Return Flip/Roach or Flip/Lively (one can dream right?) than this season is an A+.

The positives: sweeping the cheaters, undefeated at home, ACC champs. Team defense.

The negatives: some awful blowout losses, losing in the 2nd round when we could have had a walk to the title game. Turnovers & perimeter shooting.

Sucks we didn't get to sweet 16 but the way the season started, I wouldn't have imagined we would have swept the Cheats and become ACC champs. I give the season a grade of "B-".

Reactions: pisgah101
Great great season. Couldn’t have realistically asked for a better bounce back season after the way Coach K’s final year went.

Reactions: pisgah101
Jon had a good solid first year. I can't say not getting out of the first weekend is a great year, as that is what people remember. Getting our guys back has been the biggest positive for me, as lessons learned this year can be applied to next year. All in all the year was a success; given we almost had an entire new team. and a new coach. Looking forward to making a deep run next year. I get that anything can happen in the tournament, but getting a better seed makes it easier.
I may be in the minority here, but I’d rather win the ACCT and lose in the second round than not win the Acc and make the elite 8. I’d call it a success in light of the issues faced and the amount of improvement over the year. They got screwed plain and simple in the Ncaas. Bad seed, historically bad officiating. Jon showed enough to make me hopeful going forward with the way he managed this roster

If we return Flip then I give this season an A-. Return Flip/Roach or Flip/Lively (one can dream right?) than this season is an A+.

The positives: sweeping the cheaters, undefeated at home, ACC champs. Team defense.

The negatives: some awful blowout losses, losing in the 2nd round when we could have had a walk to the title game. Turnovers & perimeter shooting.
No way this team “walks” over Fau. Dam good team

This was a very good and skilled team but not a tough enough team when it mattered. Hit the weights, learn some lessons, and get some grown men like Theo in the portal. If we get Flip back next year not many will be able to hang with us. Time for us to knock back some teams.

Last edited:
This will be my last thread called “official” until next season but I wanted to post a wrap up.

Duke ended the season
- 27-9
-ACC Champions
-undefeated at home
-7-3 neutral court
-4-6 away
Kyle filipowski lead Duke in scoring and rebounds and steals at 15.1, 8.9 and 1.3… Tyrese Proctor lead us in assist with 3.3 and Derek lively lead us in blocks at 2.4

All in all I count this season as a success. We were two bad calls (uva and VT) from winning the ACC outright and likely having a 2 seed. If those things happened or we get a fair whistle agains UT I think we were playing another weekend. From where we were in Jan to where we finished I don’t think anyone would complain except maybe Koach. The future looks extremely good and i for one am pumped for next season! But I also want to encourage all the posters here to stick around in the off-season. A portion of us stay around and it makes it better with more people. I really like where the board is now and want it to continue to flourish!

Also want to thank @timo0402 for letting me post the game day threads. I really enjoyed it and hope I didnt screw up too much and get to keep my job! Haha

GO DUKE!!
Congratulations Pisgah on a GREAT YEAR. GAMEDAY threads were best I have ever seen!! Count me as very proud of our boys this season, sweeping the Cheats, making the Dance, and of course winning the ACC TITLE!!! Can't wait for next year!!! OFC

Like the rest above, I am happy with the season. It was a little dicey for a while, but Jon and staff righted the ship second half of the ACC season, and what a great ACC tourney we had!! Losing to TN in the manner we lost sucked, and not making it to the second weekend was lousy, especially the way our bracket opened up and the way we were playing going into the NCAA's. But overall it was a good season.

The fact that we are getting some guys back has me excited about next year and the direction of our recruiting path.

Agree with others about Jon’s first season. I’m probably in the minority with my opinion here, but I’m concerned about this season coming up, in relation to playing time and chemistry.
I don’t know anything about the kids coming in, nor how good they are. I wait until I’ve seen them play before giving an opinion. But, as a general rule, five highly rated kids are coming in thinking they’ll play a good amount of minutes.
If Roach and Flip come back, to go along with Proctor and Mitchell, others will be squeezed. How well they handle it will play a large role in our success, imo.

Last edited:
Agree with others about Jon’s first season. I’m probably in the minority with my opinion here, but I’m concerned about this season coming up, in relation to playing time and chemistry.
I don’t know anything about the kids coming in, nor how good they are. I wait until I’ve seen them play before giving an opinion. But, as a general rule, five highly rated kids coming in are coming in thinking they’ll play a good amount of minutes.
If Roach and Flip come back, to go along with Proctor and Mitchell, others will be squeezed. How well they handle it will play a large role in our success, imo.
It would be nice if this were the new normal and 5 star recruits came for 2 years. Then the freshman would know they are not guaranteed minutes and perhaps they would be on a 2 year plan as well. Superstar 5 years leave after one but others are now the new 2 and dones.

Reactions: christophero
I completely agree with this. Our issues haven't been from one and dones. It's guys who should be 2 and dones being one and done.

Reactions: hart2chesson
All of the incoming freshman expected Flip, Proctor, Mitchell to be here when they signed. Young is an afterthought so that wouldn’t matter anyway. He’s an insurance policy not a guy who steals minutes from the studs. Only one they probably expected gone was Roach bc he said he was gone. So the minutes crunch could come from that. With that said, McCain, Foster, Power are all expected to be multiple year guys, and Stewart “should” be.

Gasp, what if we are legit 8-9 deep next year!??!?!!

I have no experience coaching/playing at this level, but it would seem to me that if the coaching staff can manage the players expectations and get them to fully buy into a team effort (the Coach K fist), it could call work out just fine. I think a lot comes down to the personality of the players. Do we have guys coming in that will insist on being the big man on campus from day 1? Or are they coming in to play a role on a team?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT