ADVERTISEMENT

Pinson as NBA player?

acc hoops

Cameron Crazy
Mar 24, 2004
Got a good laugh reading the Cheaters board discussing Theo and the draft.
Comparing him to Stacey Augmon, Michael Cooper and Gerald Wallace is like comparing Roseanne Barr to Elizabeth Hurley.
Pinson is having a good season but unless he goes to Europe and develops a NBAlike game I do not see his making a NBA roster. He can guard multiple positions and that it a plus but the days of a Dudley Bradley player in today’s game are very rare.
One Tarhole even described him as a Draymond Green type player.

Comparing him to Stacey Augmon, Michael Cooper and Gerald Wallace is like comparing Roseanne Barr to Elizabeth Hurley.
Pinson is having a good season but unless he goes to Europe and develops a NBAlike game I do not see his making a NBA roster. He can guard multiple positions and that it a plus but the days of a Dudley Bradley player in today’s game are very rare.

I had almost gotten Elizabeth Hurley out of my head, and then you post this......two more weeks with no sleep. Thanks bud!!

Reactions: skysdad
Enjoy life in the G League Theo. Maybe he can get assigned to hometown team Greensboro Swarm. Or maybe Uzbekistan.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I’ve always felt bad for Theo. Dude was the number one player at his position for a long time. His career has been awful at unc from where he was projected

I never thought Danny Green would amount to much, but that was way off. Theo is a smart. tough player, but without much of a jumper. He could find a niche in the NBA, but it will have to be for a good coach that knows his value. Pinson could have similar success to Green but is probably closer to a Ginyard.

I hate to admit it, but he will be in the league for at least 10 years. The kid does the intangibles. He's a team player with good size, IQ, and improves every year.

he could be a tony allen type defensive guy...a niche player that could also handle the ball.....i see that for him and work on his jumpshot

He has a very strong all around game. I think his career numbers would have been much better if he was allowed to create. He is very good off the bounce from what I’ve seen

Theo Pinson is not good man. The dude can't shoot at all. He can pass well but he's not a good finisher in traffic . He's not an explosive athlete. He's an average college player. No way he does anything in the league. He would be lucky to sit on an NBA bench

I’ve always felt bad for Theo. Dude was the number one player at his position for a long time. His career has been awful at unc from where he was projected
Seriously?
Back to back National title games, last years National champion, multiple ACC regular season champions...
Yeah, poor Theo. If only he could have lived up to his collegiate expectations like Austin Rivers...

I understand what you’re saying, to a point, but he’s having a pretty good college run.

Last edited:
Reactions: absolutely nobody
Theo is a good role player, but no way he plays in the NBA.
10 years in the NBA, you got to be kidding!

With a career stat line of 5 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists, I HOPE he doesn't get to make league minimum for that kind of production.

I like Theo Pinson a lot and would’ve happily had him represent Duke. It’s weird, the number of Tar Heels that I seriously dislike has dwindled a lot in recent years. Maybe it’s because they have been recruiting less talented but higher character guys (Felton excluded) or maybe they are just less showboaty. I don’t know. Anyways, unless Pinson starts shooting at a very high clip, he doesn’t have a future in the NBA.

If Pinson could shoot, he’d carve out a nice career as a bench player. Perhaps he can continue to improve but I just don’t see him making it. But crazier things have happened

Thought Brice Johnson as 25th pick would play more. Read that he has played less than 50 minutes since being drafted in 2016.
Sure hope Frank Jackson and Harry Giles get to play injury free next year.
Maybe Theo can room with Tyler H in China next year.

Seriously?
Back to back National title games, last years National champion, multiple ACC regular season champions...
Yeah, poor Theo. If only he could have lived up to his collegiate expectations like Austin Rivers...

I understand what you’re saying, to a point, but he’s having a pretty good college run.

Dude he was the #1 small forward in the country at one point in time. Winning a college championship is great but it’s pretty likely he won’t get drafted. Talk about not living up to expectations.

Austin rivers has made millions in the nba. Yeah he never won a championship but most people would take that easy over pinsons career

Reactions: GillJET
Seriously?

Yes, and James Michael McAdoo has 2 NBA Championships. Which obviously means he's had a better pro career than Kyrie Irving.

Reactions: GillJET
Dude he was the #1 small forward in the country at one point in time. Winning a college championship is great but it’s pretty likely he won’t get drafted. Talk about not living up to expectations.

Austin rivers has made millions in the nba. Yeah he never won a championship but most people would take that easy over pinsons career

Not sure where you're getting these rankings from but before enrolling at UNC, 247 listed him as the #3 SF in the class behind Justin Jackson and Justise Winslow and the #15 player overall.

Before enrolling at UNC, 247 listed him as the #3 SF in the class behind Justin Jackson and Justise Winslow and the #15 player overall.

Offensively he certainly hasn't been the player he was projected to be as his shooting hasn't really improved. He had foot injuries his freshman and sophomore years I believe. The last two years he's been pretty pivotal for the Heels.

He's currently averaging 9 pts, 6 reb, 4.5 APG. I think based on his ranking and type of player he is that him averaging around 13,6,5 would be living up to his ranking.

He's had a pretty great college career though. 2 Final Fours, 1 National Championship, 2 regular season ACC titles, and 1 ACC tournament title I believe.

I think the fans over at the UNC board mentioned him being drafted because JP Tokoto did and he was worse than Theo. I thought their comments were pretty objective and realize he's a fringe NBA player but thinks he could be drafted because Tokoto did. Pinson has the athleticism of an NBA player but doesn't have an elite NBA skill.

And Aust

And Austin can thank his dad for that, much to the dislike of his current and former NBA teammates, but hey, everyone knows that...
The NBA is full of players who had less than stellar college careers, let’s let Theo finish his senior year and see how it plays out before writing off his future...

Yes, and James Michael McAdoo has 2 NBA Championships. Which obviously means he's had a better pro career than Kyrie Irving.
lol dude why are you taking it so literal. The poster just mentioned that he's had a good college career and has been a key player for them, especially last year while winning the championship. That doesn't automatically make him better than other guys who are clearly better players.

Thought Brice Johnson as 25th pick would play more. Read that he has played less than 50 minutes since being drafted in 2016.
Sure hope Frank Jackson and Harry Giles get to play injury free next year.
Maybe Theo can room with Tyler H in China next year.

I doubt Theo is an NBA player but i don't see the issue with him not being one. Hansbrough is one of the greatest college players ever - why does it matter what he did in the NBA? UNC is a college team, not a professional team. Theo is a good college player, Hansbrough was a great college player. Neither are NBA players. It is what it is.

UK is the program who counts the NBA players as to "why we are the best program". Idgaf if you had Booker, Ulis, Towns, Cauley-Stein, Harrison bros, and Lyles in the NBA since you didn't win a championship. I also don't care that you have Jamal Murray and De'Aaron Fox in the NBA as you didn't accomplish much of anything with them at UK.

Reactions: skysdad
lol dude why are you taking it so literal. The poster just mentioned that he's had a good college career and has been a key player for them, especially last year while winning the championship. That doesn't automatically make him better than other guys who are clearly better players.

It was a hyperbolic expression, bro. I was using his faulty comparison of Theo Pinson and Austin Rivers and laying it on thick, with a trowel no less, to compare JMM and Kyrie.

Yeah i know what you were doing, bro.

If that is true, then your comment was completely irrelevant/not necessary. Here's a quick recap:

JB: Hey, don't take it so literally
dd:I wasn't being literal
JB: Yeah, I knew that

If that is true, then your comment was completely irrelevant/not necessary. Here's a quick recap:

JB: Hey, don't take it so literally
dd:I wasn't being literal
JB: Yeah, I knew that

Yeah I was saying don't take it so literal. Obviously you were being hyperbolic with that statement. What did your statement comparing Kyrie and McAdoo add to the discussion?

Your comment was completely irrelevant/not necessary.

Yeah I was saying don't take it so literal. Obviously you were being hyperbolic with that statement. What did your statement comparing Kyrie and McAdoo add to the discussion?

Your comment was completely irrelevant/not necessary.

One of your tarheel friends used a faulty comparison. I used the same faulty comparison to show how the ridiculous the nature of his statement was.

If I can ridicule a Tarheel fan, I will. So yes, it was necessary.

One of your tarheel friends used a faulty comparison. I used the same faulty comparison to show how the ridiculous the nature of his statement was.

I'm not a Tarheel fan...

Uhh...faulty comparison?
You brought up Rivers NBA career, not me. Theo’s college career is significantly better than “one shot” Rivers, by miles...
Both highly touted prospects out of high school, it seems to most that Pinson is living up to his billing, unlike Austin. But, it’s all good. Seeing you guys flame out in the first weekend with the now annual “best class ever” is quite enjoyable for us...
Edit...My bad, it was another poster who threw Rivers NBA $$$ into the conversation.

Last edited:
I like Theo Pinson a lot and would’ve happily had him represent Duke. It’s weird, the number of Tar Heels that I seriously dislike has dwindled a lot in recent years. Maybe it’s because they have been recruiting less talented but higher character guys (Felton excluded) or maybe they are just less showboaty. I don’t know. Anyways, unless Pinson starts shooting at a very high clip, he doesn’t have a future in the NBA.

Yea, the attention whore Theo, would never showboat. Can we get that hotdog all the way?

Definitely UNC is all about high character guys.
Jelek Felton excluded. Let's exclude PJ Hairston and Will Graves. UNC Recruit Nassir Little only needed $100, 000 to sign with Miami. FBI gets involved and all of sudden he is headed to UNC.

If you can help UNC win high character not an issue. That's why they have campus police, Chapel Hill police, lawyer's, DA's, judges and hush money in case character issue's arise. In addition impermissible benefits, fats rentals, class attendance discouraged.

Reactions: hart2chesson
What is the comparison? Rivers is averaging almost as many points per in the NBA as he did at Duke. Not quite the 29 he torched unc for while setting a freshman scoring record against them, but not bad!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT