ADVERTISEMENT

Paolo Banchero story

I know many of these young men come out of high school highly ranked, and fans often expect the world of them for 35 straight games as freshman. That's a tall order to fill for a 19 year old athlete. Banchero is doing just fine. He's super talented, I'm glad he chose Duke, and I predict he will win games for us this season!

True, but these guys are also choosing to be one and done so that comes with extra pressure. I hope Banchero gets it sorted out by the tournament.

He's making really good decisions when he gets double teamed and he's consistently making good passes, double-teamed or not. He's playing more consistently good defense I think. I'd loved to see some improved shot selection as we head toward the tournament. Fewer contested 3s, fewer long 2s, more drives, more trips to the foul line. But even through this slump if you watch him you can tell he has just elite skills. I think he'll turn it around still this season. I'm excited to see what he does against UNC and then in the tournament.

Paolo needs to get down low then out for his shot. Teams barely double team him but have his spin move on lock which leads to most of his turnovers. His offensive selection is questionable but also is Dukes inability to make multiple entry passes into the post.
I think he simply hit his freshman wall and teams know how to game plan for him.
He will be fine going down the stretch.

Reactions: DBM0828
The spin move is effective when you don't use it EVERY TIME you get a touch on the lower block or driving to the rim... I like Paolo better when he get the ball on the wing rather than the free throw line and extended. He does rush things and leads to him struggling to get comfortable... if we can get the "Williams treatment"(drives and easy assists) with Paolo that would be great for him. I just think that we try to force him into creating for himself a little too much.

Less shake and bake from the top of the key. Gives the whole D an hour to figure out how to dig in and strip him. And, it gets our whole team standing around doing nothing allowing the D to collapse on him. Go or give it up. The spin into traffic needs to go away period.

Totally agree with multiple passes into and out of the post. Make teams guard us, not one guy going 1 on 3 or 4.

Someone on DBR mentioned that teams have figured out his spin move.
Ya it's clear as day teams have scouted him and adjusted. They clearly play for that spin move. When he's not doubled, it's clear that the defense is doing it's best to force him left. His handle is awful going left. He fumbles it, flat out loses it, or gets it taken away at a very high rate when he tries to go left.

It's up to Paolo to learn and counter these adjustments that teams have made against him.

I'm not a coach. Well, I was an assistant coach on my son's CYO team for a few years, does that count? But seriously, can someone explain to me why Duke can't run some set plays for Paolo? Something other than giving him the ball at the top of the key or the elbow and letting him go one on one, or one on two? We ran a nice play for him with some screens at the end of the Wake game. Yes, I know he missed the shot, but it was a good look. I just don't understand why we can't run more set plays for him. What better way to get a player out of a slump then run some plays for him??

Get Banchero the ball at the foul line and let him operate. Mark should be open for a lob if they double him. Banchero seems to be losing confidence and/or overthinking things. I hope he can get it back.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Not only can you not use the spin move EVERY time but you can’t go right from the rip move every time either.

Many of his forced shots are because the opponents know his moves, because it’s the same every game.

The defense is in position to defend before Banchero is in his position to shoot his shot, because they know….

If there is a game that Paolo can get going, it would be this Syracuse game as Christophero said. The top of the key should be open every time. Let's hope he get's going.

This. The zone is tailor made for Paolo to destroy it from the foul line, especially without Edwards in there. I'm looking forward to a breakout game from him.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I would love to see that happen. But it seems almost every Syracuse game over the past 5 years we say "just put (Tatum, Zion, Bagley, etc) at the foul line and let him operate, we will destroy the zone". Yet we still seem to generally struggle against it.

I do think we win by double digits on Saturday unless the Boeheim brothers go all Kihei on us.

I would love to see that happen. But it seems almost every Syracuse game over the past 5 years we say "just put (Tatum, Zion, Bagley, etc) at the foul line and let him operate, we will destroy the zone". Yet we still seem to generally struggle against it.

I do think we win by double digits on Saturday unless the Boeheim brothers go all Kihei on us.
That's because that menace Marek Dolezaj was at Syracuse for like ten years 😂😂😂. Reminds me of Bonzi Colson who was at ND forever as well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT