ADVERTISEMENT

Over-recruiting

Willcampbell

Cameron Crazy
Oct 20, 2004
I can see the day coming when some school has too many scholly offers out there due to the One-and-Done climate. Right now, if everyone returned, Duke would have nine scholarship players plus five verbal commits. That's too many, even without Bolden. And Kentucky would have eleven scholarship players returning plus five verbal commits. Maybe it won't happen next year, but some day someone's ass is going to get bit.
OFC

Cal has perfected the art of the OAD and K is feeling his way through it becoming great at it himself. that's not to say it doesn't come with its share of issues, but these things won't happen if you're handling it properly. There will never be a day as long as these rules are in place where that situation will happen. These kids are projected draftees early. It's also why, however, you want kids to leave when they're on the board, NOT necessarily when they're ready. This is the part people outside of Kentucky fans, and now Duke fans, don't understand.

Thus it's a players first concept.

I can see the day coming when some school has too many scholly offers out there due to the One-and-Done climate. Right now, if everyone returned, Duke would have nine scholarship players plus five verbal commits. That's too many, even without Bolden. And Kentucky would have eleven scholarship players returning plus five verbal commits. Maybe it won't happen next year, but some day someone's ass is going to get bit.
OFC

Wrong about the facts. Right now, we have 9 scholarship players + 4 commits = 13. I guess theoretically there would be a crunch if Ingram stays and Bolden committed, but Ingram is not going to stay. Also, if Ingram shocked everyone by staying, I'm sure Justin Robinson (the son of David Robinson) would be the one to lose his scholarship -- as he was a walk-on prospect who we gave a scholarship to b/c we had one sitting around to give. We can absorb everyone coming back.

Wrong about the facts. Right now, we have 9 scholarship players + 4 commits = 13. I guess theoretically there would be a crunch if Ingram stays and Bolden committed, but Ingram is not going to stay. Also, if Ingram shocked everyone by staying, I'm sure Justin Robinson (the son of David Robinson) would be the one to lose his scholarship -- as he was a walk-on prospect who we gave a scholarship to b/c we had one sitting around to give. There is no real crunch among recruited scholarship players.

Right, and as you say, here's literally zero chance of Ingram staying. You're talking about risking millions and millions of dollars.

If the coaches are worth their salt at recruiting OAD's, it won't happen. If it does slight adjustments are made and it's fine anyway. I think there's always a player on the verge of transfer.

Wrong about the facts. Right now, we have 9 scholarship players + 4 commits = 13. I guess theoretically there would be a crunch if Ingram stays and Bolden committed, but Ingram is not going to stay. Also, if Ingram shocked everyone by staying, I'm sure Justin Robinson (the son of David Robinson) would be the one to lose his scholarship -- as he was a walk-on prospect who we gave a scholarship to b/c we had one sitting around to give. We can absorb everyone coming back.
You're right. Four verbals. My bad.:oops:
OFC

The fact that Ingram is one and done blows my mind lol I know it's true but still geez.

So you Kentucky boys seriously think Mike Krzyzewski has just somehow "started" recruiting top recruits? Have you been following Duke at all prior to the last 3 years?

To answer the original poster, it seems to me that many players come in with a good idea of their career arc when you are discussing that level of talent. I have no doubt that K has a great idea about who will be staying and going at the end of every year which would prevent the possibility of over-recruiting. Ultimately, I believe that guides the recruiting decisions the staff makes.

To answer the original poster, it seems to me that many players come in with a good idea of their career arc when you are discussing that level of talent. I have no doubt that K has a great idea about who will be staying and going at the end of every year which would prevent the possibility of over-recruiting. Ultimately, I believe that guides the recruiting decisions the staff makes.
dbav: I agree that the coaches know what they are doing, but I still feel it is treading a tightrope some years. All it would take would be a couple injuries that would make players consider an extra year. But, hey. I'm not losing sleep over it.
OFC

dbav: I agree that the coaches know what they are doing, but I still feel it is treading a tightrope some years. All it would take would be a couple injuries that would make players consider an extra year. But, hey. I'm not losing sleep over it.
OFC

I agree with you. I didn't mean anything negative, just that there is a whole lot of inside info I don't have when it comes to coach and team, haha.

So you Kentucky boys seriously think Mike Krzyzewski has just somehow "started" recruiting top recruits? Have you been following Duke at all prior to the last 3 years?
K addressed that in the ESPN article DJ linked the other day. He said he has always recruited the top guys, Laettner, Hill, Ferry, Williams, etc., it is just that now the top guys don't stick around very long. Unless of course you entrusted your development to Roy Williams, but that is a different issue entirely.

Well look at this way. You fill a bucket with water until it starts to over flow. No matter how big the bucket is sooner or later you're gonna have more water than the bucket can hold. But despite all the water that spills out o the bucket ( transfers) the bucket is still full. And I don't UNC getting one ounce of that water. OFC

Last edited:
Well look at this way. You ill a bucket with water until it starts to over flow. No matter how big the bucket is sooner or later you're gonna have more water than the bucket can hold. But despite all the water that spills out o the bucket ( transfers) the bucket is still full. And I don't UNC getting one ounce of that water. OFC

That's exactly the type of folksy wisdom I come here for. Well done sir. :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT