ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Iconic characters in television.

NBC's Thursday lineup. Norm, Woody, Shelly Long, postsman, JD, Howard, the crazy cop who growled (mick?), "lets be careful out there" sargent, John Laroquette, the huge deputy dude, bombshell blonde, cant include Cliff Huxtable. Missing a bunch.

Emerson Cod on Pushing Daisies
George-Michael Bluth on Arrested Development

The Fonz was good...but the forerunner to the Fonz was 'Kookie' on 77 Sunset Strip. He was the Fonz before there was a Fonz, and he was actually in the 50's. He had a hot rod instead of a motorcycle, combed his hair frequently (even had a million seller song 'Kookie, Kookie lend me your comb' with Connie Stevens). Had all the cool slang of the 50's including his trademark 'you're the ginchiest!'...translation...coolest!

He started out as a part time character (like the Fonz) as a parking attendant on Sunset Strip, but proved so popular, he became a regular, and eventually one of the private investigators.

I love 77 Sunset Strip...great show imo. Unfortunately, Edd 'Kookie' Byrnes died earlier this year. But 'Kookie' will live on as long as some of the oldies (like me) are still around.

Here is 'Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb' with Edd Byrnes & Connie Stevens on American Bandstand.

Kookie, you were the ginchiest.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT