ADVERTISEMENT

New Scrimmage

Nice footage. Mitchell and Proctor our alphas without Flip. Young looks a little more nimble. Power and Schutt and Foster and Stewart looked good. Blakes is just too deliberate he needs to mix it up a little. McCain has nice body control. Reminds me of Keels a little.

It's Proctor's team, no doubt about it.

Schutt showing some aggressiveness. Will that show up in a game? That may determine whether he gets off the bench.

I feel like this is going to be like CYO where the coaches have to keep track of playing time so everyone plays.

It's Proctor's team, no doubt about it.

Schutt showing some aggressiveness. Will that show up in a game? That may determine whether he gets off the bench.

I feel like this is going to be like CYO where the coaches have to keep track of playing time so everyone plays.
100% this is Proctor’s team now. Roach is the captain but Proctor is the general.

Could Schutt move ahead of Foster or McCain in the rotation? Not likely but he does look to have made a jump. He gets to the basket effectively in the last 2 scrimmages.

If Roach is our 4th or even 5th best guy we are going to be really good. Anything can happen, but we should be back to our usual 1-2 seed. We should be able to avoid the 20 point beatdowns we get when we have a young team. You just want to be in the running for a title, and I never really thought we were last year.

I may be in the minority here, but with how Duke was playing from February and onward and with there being no dominant team in the country last season, I thought Duke could get to the Final 4. Had Duke beaten Tennessee, I think they get by FAU (Madison Square Garden is the CIS of the Northeast). Kansas State probably ends Duke’s season though in the Elite 8 with how Nowell was playing. They were a tough, experienced, and gritty team. Oh well, looking forward to this upcoming season. I plan on going to the games in Chicago, South Bend, & Louisville for sure.

Reactions: timo0402
Rim protection is our only weakness. But damn we have a lot of weapons. Mitchell could be our leading shot blocker, but we don't want him getting in foul trouble. With our backcourt depth we should press.
Last year, Mitchell averaged only 1.5 fouls per 40 minutes. Doesn't seem like a big concern.

Could Schutt move ahead of Foster or McCain in the rotation? Not likely but he does look to have made a jump. He gets to the basket effectively in the last 2 scrimmages.
no.

I like Winslow as a comp for Mitchell. Winslow was the defensive stopper for that team. Very similar to this team which might not have an aircraft carrier in the middle a lot of the time. Winslow made a lot of clutch shots during the season also although not being a classic jump shooter. And, Winslow was left handed.

I really liked Winslow. Top 5 all time Duke player in my opinion.

Reactions: jeffrey236
I like Winslow as a comp for Mitchell. Winslow was the defensive stopper for that team. Very similar to this team which might not have an aircraft carrier in the middle a lot of the time. Winslow made a lot of clutch shots during the season also although not being a classic jump shooter. And, Winslow was left handed.

I really liked Winslow. Top 5 all time Duke player in my opinion.
I loved Winslow and his tenacity on defense, he hit big shots throughout our tourney run. We don’t get past Utah in the Sweet16 without Winslow coming up big. He had 21 and 10 rebounds in a game we won 63-57.
But…top 5 ALL TIME??? Who else would you have up there?

A case could be made for him as a top 5 Duke freshman of all time. Not sure I’d have him there, but with the title and the defense, a strong case could be made.

Reactions: christophero
I loved Winslow. He is not a top 5 Duke guy, but I would say he's a top 5 OAD and top 5 underrated guy. He was a difference maker on both sides of the ball. No way we win without him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac9192
Agreed. Winslow is probably my favorite since Singler. He had that "it" factor, and was the perfect build for a wing. Something about his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982II
Tyus is another that has the “it” factor. The guy was playing like a seasoned vet as a Freshman. I hope Winslow can get and stay healthy.

Reactions: christophero
The Plumlees and Jones Brothers loved playing for Duke. I have no doubt in my mind Tre would have gotten 1 or 2 Final 4s and Tyus would have gotten 2 or 3 Final 4s had they each played 4 years. The Jones Brothers are True Point Guards.
All IN on your point BCG!! OFC

Loved all the freshmen that season. Okafor was as unselfish as the others. A huge plus considering he was our only known OAD coming in, if I’m not mistaken.

The big fella didn’t mind passing the ball.
Amen Mac, Okafor didn't mind kicking it back outside. Boy that baseline move was lethal. I loved our freshmen too. The kid that came off the bench in the '15 finals was pretty special. Had Grayson been with more of a TEAM oriented Okafor type big in '18, I think we would have won #6.

Reactions: Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT