ADVERTISEMENT

NBA lottery - Tatum

Laettner

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 11, 2002
Almost every mock draft has Tatum going #4 or #5. Well those slots are Suns & Kings, talk about basketball wastelands. After the lottery selections I kept waiting for Tatum to stand up and declare his return to Duke.

Suggestion to make OAD even crazier, once team lottery slots are announced college players get 20 mins to decide if they want to leave the draft. How funny would that be.

Furltz goes #1 to Boston which is a great team, organization and city. That kid hit the jackpot!

Luke in the lottery would surprise me. Giles would not. Good luck to all our guys come draft night!

It will be interesting to see what Boston does. The widely considered top two prospects are both PGs, not really a position of need for Boston. And Ainge has no problem wheeling and dealing.

I've heard some chatter from the Pistons beat writers in Detroit that they like Luke at 12. I thought the same thing as Laettner re: Tatum. Anywhere but Sacramento. Although, I have heard they want a point guard, specifically Fox, who should be there at 5.

CBS sports has Taytum picked #1. That's the first I've heard of that as a possibility. The reasoning is basically Boston is a contender now so they'll want someone NBA ready. And Boston already has guards they're happy with. Taytum at #1 would be wild. I remember a couple of months ago someone on here saying they wouldn't pick Taytum in the top 20 or 30.

Same mock draft has Kennard to the Pistons at 12 and Giles to Portland at 20.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...-top-pick-celtics-go-with-dukes-jayson-tatum/

It will be interesting to see what Boston does. The widely considered top two prospects are both PGs, not really a position of need for Boston. And Ainge has no problem wheeling and dealing.
You nailed it, Huff. I expect Ainge/Stevens to try and trade down for multiple 1st round picks. Sacramento has #5 and 10. I'd rather have Monk (or Tatum if available) and Zach Collins than just Fultz. I'd trade #1 to Philly for #3 and next years pick.

You nailed it, Huff. I expect Ainge/Stevens to try and trade down for multiple 1st round picks. Sacramento has #5 and 10. I'd rather have Monk (or Tatum if available) and Zach Collins than just Fultz. I'd trade #1 to Philly for #3 and next years pick.
I told my buddy last night I thought Boston would do almost exactly what you said.

The Celtics have a staggering amount of assets. Of course they have a nice set of core players (mostly young) in Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown, and Al Horford. They have the 2017 #1 pick (Markelle Fultz?), the Nets #1 pick in 2018, The Grizzlies #1 pick in 2019. They also have the rights to Ante Zizic and Guerschon Yabusele, two 1st round picks from the 2016 draft.

Thomas/Bradley/Crowder are all vastly underpaid; combined they make less ($21 million) money than Al Horford. Needless to say, they have cap space. I don't think it would be too far-fetched if they were able to sign Gordon Hayward. So many possibilities for that organization. If I'm the Celtics, I take the best available player. They can acquire a talented player at any position with all the leverage they hold with picks, cap space, and a winning organization. I expect Fultz will be the pick.

The Celtics have a staggering amount of assets. Of course they have a nice set of core players (mostly young) in Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown, and Al Horford. They have the 2017 #1 pick (Markelle Fultz?), the Nets #1 pick in 2018, The Grizzlies #1 pick in 2019. They also have the rights to Ante Zizic and Guerschon Yabusele, two 1st round picks from the 2016 draft.

Thomas/Bradley/Crowder are all vastly underpaid; combined they make less ($21 million) money than Al Horford. Needless to say, they have cap space. I don't think it would be too far-fetched if they were able to sign Gordon Hayward. So many possibilities for that organization. If I'm the Celtics, I take the best available player. They can acquire a talented player at any position with all the leverage they hold with picks, cap space, and a winning organization. I expect Fultz will be the pick.
If you could trade down with the sixers at 3 and get their #1 next year as well would you do it?

We'll all these kids want to go NBA now be ready to play for trash franchise. Their getting their wish.

CBS sports has Taytum picked #1. That's the first I've heard of that as a possibility. The reasoning is basically Boston is a contender now so they'll want someone NBA ready. And Boston already has guards they're happy with. Taytum at #1 would be wild. I remember a couple of months ago someone on here saying they wouldn't pick Taytum in the top 20 or 30.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...-top-pick-celtics-go-with-dukes-jayson-tatum/
I'd be very surprised if Giles fell to 20. There is too much raw potential to pass up. The only way to win in the NBA is with a superstar and so if you are a GM who is tired of missing the playoffs, do you take a safer low upside guy like TJ Leaf or roll the dice with one of the best high prospects in a long time? If Giles' knee checks out, he is going to be a lottery pick.

I'd be very surprised if Giles fell to 20. There is too much raw potential to pass up. The only way to win in the NBA is with a superstar and so if you are a GM who is tired of missing the playoffs, do you take a safer low upside guy like TJ Leaf or roll the dice with one of the best high prospects in a long time? If Giles' knee checks out, he is going to be a lottery pick.

I agree. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Giles goes in the 12-17 range. I saw a couple of clips of him at the combine and he looked quick for a big man. And healthy. I'd roll the dice on him if I had a pick in the mid teens.

Would be SUPER SUPER AWESOME if that happens and certainly hoping it does!

0% chance Tatum goes #1. I think Tatum is going to be better than expected in the league but I'm not taking him ahead of Fultz or Lonzo and I don't think any GM would either.

Reactions: Dattier
Boston even though young, has got to be thinking about winning now. They're in the Eastern Conference finals. While I don't expect them to pick Tatum, I do think they would move the pick for an established player, i.e. Paul George.
If Fultz doesn't go #1 it would be a shock.

To me the Celtics are playing with not even house money but mansion money. They are in the ECF and have not only the top pick this year, but a guaranteed lottery pick next year and then potentially a solid pick the year after. Those assets and a host of young guys that they could potentially move and cap space to acquire veteran talent if they so chose. I think the Celtics can slow play this too. The cavs (ahem lebron) isn't getting any younger- he probably still has another 4-6 pretty damn good to great years left, so beating him now isn't likely. Cavs will continue to load up on veteran talent around him as well. If I'm the Celtics, I take Fultz, pair him with IT and try and trade some other assets to get some younger pieces that are close. So that in 3 years they're the team. Like the warriors did a few years ago around curry, klay and green.

Reactions: Dattier
If you could trade down with the sixers at 3 and get their #1 next year as well would you do it?

Depends on how highly they value Markelle Fultz. I haven't observed him enough to make a proper evaluation. If they think he's going to be a superstar (top 10 player), then no, I probably wouldn't trade him. If Fultz isn't viewed as being substantially better than the #3 prospect (Josh Jackson/Tatum/Fox), then absolutely you would make that trade. I would lean towards making that trade as this draft appears to be deep and I think Josh Jackson would be an excellent choice at #3.

I think the Celtics are going to try and form another Big 3. They have enough in cap space where they could sign the likes of Gordon Hayward or Blake Griffin. The other big move would be through a trade. Between the #1 pick this year, the Nets 1st rd pick next year, Bradley/Smart/Brown/Crowder/Horford, there are multiple valuable pieces to move around to get a really, really big fish.

Okay, the more I read up on Markelle Fultz, the more it sounds like he's a superstar just waiting to happen. It will be a really interesting dynamic having their best player and their best asset at the same position. Markelle could reasonably come of the bench for 1-2 years. But after that, I would think the Celtics would have to make a decision. Granted they could ship Bradley out somewhere, as I think IT and Fultz would be a suitable backcourt.

The Cs will take Fultz, likely let KO walk and get rid of a bunch of deadweight. If they do they have the cap room to offer the max to Heyward or attempt a trade for Griffin/PG/Butler. Smart, Bradley and IT all need to get paid and if you pay one or both then you can't pay Smart. Either you package some of these guys with picks for max players or you go after Hayward and hope that Lebron declines. I don't think they should give IT the max because you just won't win a championship with him as your lead guard IMO.

The Cs will take Fultz, likely let KO walk and get rid of a bunch of deadweight. If they do they have the cap room to offer the max to Hayward or attempt a trade for Griffin/PG/Butler. Smart, Bradley and IT all need to get paid and if you pay one or both then you can't pay Smart. Either you package some of these guys with picks for max players or you go after Hayward and hope that Lebron declines. I don't think they should give IT the max because you just won't win a championship with him as your lead guard IMO.

Jackson is the better athlete and defender but can't shoot. Tatum will score in the NBA, he has the much better offensive skill set. It will be interesting to see if Tatum goes ahead of Jackson.

Celts trade #1 to Nets for Trevor Booker and the Nets' # 1 choices for the next ten years. Oh, wait....King's not there anymore?
OFC

Reactions: dukephysics
I heard on the radio this morning that someone suggested they trade isiah Thomas because he's not worth 200 million next yr and he can't get them to the promised land like fultz could. I would like to see Tatum join the Suns. He is going to be really good in the NBA. I think at times he tried to do too much because that's what he did in highschool and it was natural. It will be interesting to look back at this class in 5 years and see how well they turned out

Reactions: DukeDenver
Haha I wouldn't doubt that!
If the Hornets draft another 6'11" / 7 footer I'll slap Cho! We have Frank, Zeller and Miles who ain't going anywhere, unless a trade and no one wants Miles contract. Charlotte has no luck in the draft with players. If I'm in their front office it's sg/Sf. MGK isn't a scorer in the league Batum and Kemba need help on offense.

Id be surprised if Boston doesn't draft and keep Fultz. Scouts love him and his versatility and Boston likes to go small anyway...they will likely trade Bradley and be thrilled with having a stud on a rookie contract.

I personally don't think Tatum will be great. Similar to Okafor...his game is old school. Teams are going away from isolation scoreres within the 3-point line and I'm not sure he will ever shoot a high % from 3. He was abestter defender than I expected and will need to show that.

If the Hornets draft another 6'11" / 7 footer I'll slap Cho! We have Frank, Zeller and Miles who ain't going anywhere, unless a trade and no one wants Miles contract. Charlotte has no luck in the draft with players. If I'm in their front office it's sg/Sf. MGK isn't a scorer in the league Batum and Kemba need help on offense.

Recall an article two years ago explaining Hornets pass on Justise b/c they didn't scout him believing he'd be selected earlier.

Id be surprised if Boston doesn't draft and keep Fultz. Scouts love him and his versatility and Boston likes to go small anyway...they will likely trade Bradley and be thrilled with having a stud on a rookie contract.

I personally don't think Tatum will be great. Similar to Okafor...his game is old school. Teams are going away from isolation scoreres within the 3-point line and I'm not sure he will ever shoot a high % from 3. He was abestter defender than I expected and will need to show that.

Agree. Tatum doesn't explode to the hole and can be a ball stopper with back to the basket game.

I think Tatum will be a multi-time All Star, but I don't follow the NBA all that closely so my opinion probably doesn't mean much.

As to his 3-point shooting, a lot of scouts are looking at his FT% and extrapolating out. He was deadly at the line and that usually means good shooting fundamentals and touch, which they believe will eventually translate to a good 3 pt %. But that's all speculation, of course.

Reactions: youngman42
Tatum possesses a lost art - the mid range jumper. I think that, plus improving his body and he'll be very good. He has a great body foundation that can get stronger and leaner. I see no reason he won't be a very good player. And, as he gets more time, he'll improve his 3 point shot. DukeJim is correct.

I do think there's a chance Celtics could trade out of 1 if they can get some draft picks. I could see them dropping to 4 and getting Tatum. Or if a team offers him an established player (like Indy giving up a draft choice and Paul George). And, if that were the case I could see a team doing that to leap frog the Lakers for Ball.

If the Celtics stay put I think they will go with Fultz.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT