ADVERTISEMENT

More Scandal at UNC?

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

It really doesn't matter. It's unc cheater u and they are held to different standards. If this does develope into something the cheater lawyers will have it turned so around that the university will be nominated for a Nobel prize . The powers at be have already made contact with the NCAA and told them to back off with a nice payoff coming. johnny tarheel swofford may be as powerful in college athletics but he is corrupt and has been for 20 plus years. This will go father than you read here. But always remember. That dirt is still under the rug and that rug is very big with plenty of space for more. It's just like a hickey. You can cover it up but that nasty thing is still there. OFC

I could never be as eloquent as Sky, but I agree that (a) there's lots of dirt over there; and (b) nothing will ever come of it. Better watch out Georgia Tech, more sanctions could be coming your way!

They're deep in the weeds on this one. Diagnosing athletes with an LD and ADHD served two purposes: ADHD bogus diagnosis allowed them to prescribe Adderall/Ritalin to focus kids on the field even more and hit EVEN HARDER!!! The LD diagnosis permitted a gateway to paper classes!!!
#UniversityNationalCircus
#RoyKnew
# ButchKnew
#LarryKnew
#MackKnew

OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
OK that addresses the concussion research part of this, any feelings on the overprescription of stimulants to athletes? Look I'm sure UNC isn't the ony school to do it, but that doesn't make it OK.
I can’t offer a professional opinion because I’m not a HC professional, nor do I have access to all the data even if I was. My latter point is what I believe to be problematic from this research. It is my understanding that the data was cherry picked and did not account for all the athletes. But the problem is you can’t conclude these kids are overprescribed because 1). You don’t have any other kids or athletes to compare it to and 2). You don’t have access to their medical information

This would be a huge story if it was credible, but the study was only carried by one journal that just came to fruition 6 months ago.

I can’t offer a professional opinion because I’m not a HC professional, nor do I have access to all the data even if I was. My latter point is what I believe to be problematic from this research. It is my understanding that the data was cherry picked and did not account for all the athletes. But the problem is you can’t conclude these kids are overprescribed because 1). You don’t have any other kids or athletes to compare it to and 2). You don’t have access to their medical information

This would be a huge story if it was credible, but the study was only carried by one journal that just came to fruition 6 months ago.
70% is the proportion of UNC football freshmen prescribed stimulants for ADHD in 2010. That is way too high no matter what pool we’re talking about and who we’re comparing it to. I doubt that trend has changed much in the last decade. College sports teams will exploit any advantage if there’s no one looking. That can’t be good for heart health.

70% is the proportion of UNC football freshmen prescribed stimulants for ADHD in 2010. That is way too high no matter what pool we’re talking about and who we’re comparing it to. I doubt that trend has changed much in the last decade. College sports teams will exploit any advantage if there’s no one looking. That can’t be good for heart health.

Denver???!!! Good ol Fatback Mack Brown, "exploit any advantage" to win????Mr. Smile In Your Face Stab You In The Back Mack????

Lmao, You DO have a point.....
#MackKnew
#RoyKnew
#AtUncTheCheatingNeverStops

OFC

Below is one of the reasons Tatos is getting ripped and no credible journal is publishing his study. The percentages listed did not include all athletes, rather some athletes (See bolder). You can’t choose to look at 180 athletes over an 8 year period and apply their results to the entire student athlete as a whole. 180 football players over 8 years would probably be less than 10% of all players.

Also, they are mixing ADD and Learning Disabilities together. I would surmise that many athletes probably have a learning disability. They cite the NCAA as stating the norm for ADHD is 7-8% yet note the subjects tested showed ADHD AND/OR LD. Hell, I have my MBA, but I am also ADHD (diagnosed) and suffer from a slight Math LD.

Lastly, I think (not positive) there was some speculation as to the authenticity of these diagnoses. I’d have to dig deeper.

“In one email from 2007, for example, neuropsychiatrist Thomas Gualtieri, hired by the school as an outside contractor, revealed that among a group that included incoming football players from the previous two years and women’s basketball players from the previous year, 61 percent “had either ADD or a learning disability (or both), and the large majority were previously undiagnosed.”

A paper co-authored by the NCAA’s chief medical officer, Brian Hainline, and published this year says “the prevalence of ADHD in student-athletes and elite athletes may be 7 percent – 8 percent.”

Based on the UNC documents, generally only scholarship athletes were eligible for learning disability testing. And an internal review found that among about 180 UNC athletes tested between 2004 and 2012 – including 137 scholarship football players – there was a “39 percent incidence of LD and or ADHD.”

Below is one of the reasons Tatos is getting ripped and no credible journal is publishing his study. The percentages listed did not include all athletes, rather some athletes (See bolder). You can’t choose to look at 180 athletes over an 8 year period and apply their results to the entire student athlete as a whole. 180 football players over 8 years would probably be less than 10% of all players.

Also, they are mixing ADD and Learning Disabilities together. I would surmise that many athletes probably have a learning disability. They cite the NCAA as stating the norm for ADHD is 7-8% yet note the subjects tested showed ADHD AND/OR LD. Hell, I have my MBA, but I am also ADHD (diagnosed) and suffer from a slight Math LD.

Lastly, I think (not positive) there was some speculation as to the authenticity of these diagnoses. I’d have to dig deeper.

“In one email from 2007, for example, neuropsychiatrist Thomas Gualtieri, hired by the school as an outside contractor, revealed that among a group that included incoming football players from the previous two years and women’s basketball players from the previous year, 61 percent “had either ADD or a learning disability (or both), and the large majority were previously undiagnosed.”

A paper co-authored by the NCAA’s chief medical officer, Brian Hainline, and published this year says “the prevalence of ADHD in student-athletes and elite athletes may be 7 percent – 8 percent.”

Based on the UNC documents, generally only scholarship athletes were eligible for learning disability testing. And an internal review found that among about 180 UNC athletes tested between 2004 and 2012 – including 137 scholarship football players – there was a “39 percent incidence of LD and or ADHD.”
Thanks for the info. I wish we just knew the truth of the matter.

All rivalry stuff aside, it is not necessary to label any decent sized chunk of society as “learning disabled” or as having a “deficit.” If 15% of any population is lacking focus and has trouble reading, then that’s not a disability at all. That’s just on the scale of natural variation. ADHD in many cases is just a deeply engrained pattern of behavior that makes certain tasks difficult. I have trouble reading for more than 5 minutes, but I refuse to hide behind this common problem and look for drugs. My inclination is that kids are increasingly overstimulated and over-controlled.

Obviously these drugs help some kids get over real learning hurdles. The way I see it used at my college is keep using it to pull all nighters without falling asleep. The “learning” they do is memorization and is not retained.

As a coach, there is an obvious reason you’d want your football players taking legal stimulants. I don’t think human beings should take these non-natural substances so lightly.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Thanks for the info. I wish we just knew the truth of the matter.

All rivalry stuff aside, it is not necessary to label any decent sized chunk of society as “learning disabled” or as having a “deficit.” If 15% of any population is lacking focus and has trouble reading, then that’s not a disability at all. That’s just on the scale of natural variation. ADHD in many cases is just a deeply engrained pattern of behavior that makes certain tasks difficult. I have trouble reading for more than 5 minutes, but I refuse to hide behind this common problem and look for drugs. My inclination is that kids are increasingly overstimulated and over-controlled.

Obviously these drugs help some kids get over real learning hurdles. The way I see it used at my college is keep using it to pull all nighters without falling asleep. The “learning” they do is memorization and is not retained.

As a coach, there is an obvious reason you’d want your football players taking legal stimulants. I don’t think human beings should take these non-natural substances so lightly.
I don’t have enough knowledge of the UNC situation to make any meaningful insight. Kids very well could have been abusing Amphetamines (drugs used to treat ADHD) but I’m hoping it’s not the case. I was just pointing out that Tatos’ study was severely flawed and the entire scientific community collectively crushed him for it.

As to your other point, I definitely things we are an over prescribed nation.

For all of those “experts” who back unc , I didn’t see any of ‘em question what actually happened. unc had athletes tested for LD/ADHD. Many were sent to a clinic where Fats Thomas’ ( remember him? ) girlfriend ( Catinia Farrington ) worked. She worked as a psychometrist but was denied a license in NC. Anyway , players were encouraged to fail the tests thus making them eligible for academic assistance not available to other students...and only SCHOLARSHIP players were made available for testing. I wouldn’t pretend to argue the numbers one way or the other. But the fact remains: unc attached fraudulent diagnosis for the sole purpose of academic & athletic eligibility. All the supporting experts in the world can’t change that. Is what it is.

For all of those “experts” who back unc , I didn’t see any of ‘em question what actually happened. unc had athletes tested for LD/ADHD. Many were sent to a clinic where Fats Thomas’ ( remember him? ) girlfriend ( Catinia Farrington ) worked. She worked as a psychometrist but was denied a license in NC. Anyway , players were encouraged to fail the tests thus making them eligible for academic assistance not available to other students...and only SCHOLARSHIP players were made available for testing. I wouldn’t pretend to argue the numbers one way or the other. But the fact remains: unc attached fraudulent diagnosis for the sole purpose of academic & athletic eligibility. All the supporting experts in the world can’t change that. Is what it is.
Good to see you again!

One other thing...I find it interesting that these athletes weren’t diagnosed UNTIL they got to unc. What? They all lived the first 17 & 18 years of their lives & none had any idea whatsoever they were LD/ADHD?!?!? That strains credulity and is another reason why unc would prefer to pull out graphs & charts as they trot out “experts” rebuking Tatos’ info. If unc fraudulently diagnosed even ONE athlete ( And it was more than one. A lot more! ) it was too many.

Absolutely terrific to have DDJ back!!! Always puts holes in their place and does his homework. As they say UNC, where "The Cheating Never Stops!" I am firmly convinced Mack Brown who piggybacked in on Dean's AFAM scheme early 90s was able to turn program around with the paper classes.

I also believe Mack is an extremely devious opportunist, and would look the other way per the ADHD/LD matter if its still in place. Of course I think bogus classes still exist there, because the organized cesspool of shenanigans for a school never received penalties. The feeling of ENTITLEMENT and " We got away with it once" embolden RAMS CLUB members, Roy and Mack (the leaders of the school) now more than ever!

#WelcomeBackDevilDJ

OFC

One other thing...I find it interesting that these athletes weren’t diagnosed UNTIL they got to unc. What? They all lived the first 17 & 18 years of their lives & none had any idea whatsoever they were LD/ADHD?!?!? That strains credulity and is another reason why unc would prefer to pull out graphs & charts as they trot out “experts” rebuking Tatos’ info. If unc fraudulently diagnosed even ONE athlete ( And it was more than one. A lot more! ) it was too many.

Yeah, isnt it AMAZING none arrived with a LEGITIMATE diagnosis until they landed at Cheater Hill? Geez, I bet John Swofford orders the ACC NETWORK to do an investigative report on the matter!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

OFC

I haven’t perused this thread completely so if this has been posted , my bad. Anyway , Tatos responds...

https://www.academia.edu/40654165/Tatos_Response_to_UNC_TBI_Center_Criticism

Again , I’m not arguing the research from EITHER side. All I’m doing is stating what unc did. It’s not opinion , it’s not speculation , it’s fact. Do other schools do it? Does Duke? I don’t know. But I damn-sure know one that did.

I haven’t perused this thread completely so if this has been posted , my bad. Anyway , Tatos responds...

https://www.academia.edu/40654165/Tatos_Response_to_UNC_TBI_Center_Criticism

Again , I’m not arguing the research from EITHER side. All I’m doing is stating what unc did. It’s not opinion , it’s not speculation , it’s fact. Do other schools do it? Does Duke? I don’t know. But I damn-sure know one that did.

Well speaking of "one that did," (UNC of course) that plays so nicely into their long held narrative:"Everybody does it." OFC

Just perused a bit of Tatos’ response. I had no idea unc was still using the “Our 3 experts discredited Mary Willingham’s data” nonsense. Ya kiddin’ me? unc purposely narrowed the parameters of what those 3 could evaluate and tasked them with answering very specific questions related to her research. Had they NOT done this , those 3 would’ve reached the same conclusions Mary did. Good Lord. Typical unc. smgdh.

Ticket2ride? Whatcha got??
I’m not sure what else you want me to say besides what I posted above.

Tatos spent years trying to take down UNC via Twitter, even going after Jay Bilas. After the NCAA ruled in their favor, he spent 3 years researching his latest publication. Said publication was thoroughly denounced by the scientific community. He comes across as desperate and deranged in his obsession of all things UNC. If there was something there, the Dane Kane’s of the world would be running with it.

Tatos spent years trying to take down UNC via Twitter, even going after Jay Bilas. After the NCAA ruled in their favor, he spent 3 years researching his latest publication. Said publication was thoroughly denounced by the scientific community. He comes across as desperate and deranged in his obsession of all things UNC. If there was something there, the Dane Kane’s of the world would be running with it.

Without Dan Kane, Dean Smith's slick AFAM scheme would never have been discovered. You'll find most folks on this board admire his efforts. I think he is quite courageous and has survived and thrived, all the while dealing with UNC tongue lashings and even a few death threats....OFC

I hate to pile on you, Ticket, but I find it quite humorous that you use a semi-validation of Dane Kane to throw shade on Tatos. I mean, it seems to suggest that if it was legit then Kane would be on top of it...like he was on the original scandal.

OFC

This thread is great. It’s like watching Hillary Clinton try to argue that Russians did it.

I hate to pile on you, Ticket, but I find it quite humorous that you use a semi-validation of Dane Kane to throw shade on Tatos. I mean, it seems to suggest that if it was legit then Kane would be on top of it...like he was on the original scandal.

OFC
I’m not saying there isn’t anything wrong here. I’m just saying no one has provided any proof thus far.

The NCAA might not have come down on UNC but SACS still put them on probation for a year and there was debate among its people about stripping accreditation. That doesn't happen if things are on the up and up.

It really doesn't matter if the NCAA didn't punish their athletic department. The mere fact that ALL students were open to receiving extra benefits proves that corruption was there. UNC fans can put their heads in the sand all they want, fact is it still happened and tarnished their school academically, which is far more serious than athletically.

I have no problem with UNC fans who admit they did wrong but got lucky on a technicality. It's the ones who actually believe they did nothing wrong that I call out.

imagine thinking a pill that dehydrates your body and ruins your appetite would give you an unfair advantage playing a sport like football. LOL. there were NFL players that would take it during training camp to allow them to stay awake and focused during meetings in training camp, but acting like its a performance enhancing drug is completely erroneous

I’m glad it was mentioned that SACS put unc on probation. Part of the “official” penalty was “failure to control athletics.” And , as we all remember , unc readily agreed with the penalty. It’s hilarious. Despite everything else , one need only to point to that fact as proof unc cheated. As far as any proof needed for the testing , that information ( like the SACS penalty as well ) came from unc athletes ( Tydreke Powell , for one ) and unc’s own documents...a fact Tatos has stated many times but for some reason unc fans ignored it. #hinky

imagine thinking a pill that dehydrates your body and ruins your appetite would give you an unfair advantage playing a sport like football. LOL. there were NFL players that would take it during training camp to allow them to stay awake and focused during meetings in training camp, but acting like its a performance enhancing drug is completely erroneous

Uh, come again? You do know of the concept of mitochondrial biogenesis, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT