ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Maye..staying or going?

ThemDukeBoys

Recruit
Jan 10, 2018
please forgive me if this has been discussed already....but Luke Maye- AKA the new Larry Bird hasnt withdrew himself from the draft yet and has until May 30th...correct?

I remember this time last year everyone thought that Tony Bradley was coming back and declared...thoughts?

I hope he stays in the draft. If he comes back, they will be really tough. Who would have thought 2 years ago he would be considering leaving college early.

Reactions: skysdad
He is on no draft boards, correct? I don't see any reason for him to leave. After all, he is that outlier who is trying to get a quality education. The team study halls must be very quiet and empty.

Honestly surprised he’s still in there. Maybe he’s hoping to land some workouts with steams before the 30th, to get some more feedback. Idk. But he’s definitely not getting drafted, I can tell you that.

Reactions: sheyduke
I hope he stays in the draft. If he comes back, they will be really tough. Who would have thought 2 years ago he would be considering leaving college early.

I'm for all the heels to enter the draft. We poke a lot of fun at big luke maye but he has turned himself into an excellent college player and if he's gone the better for us. OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
"I'm for all the heels to enter the draft. We poke a lot of fun at big luke maye but he has turned himself into an excellent college player and if he's gone the better for us. OFC"

This is the kind of remark that makes this board so incredibly special. Luke Maye has suffered many good-natured jabs over the years. But he has developed himself inta very good player and Skysdad is man enough to recognize that fact.

This kind of sportsmanship is not often found on other boards and seems to be a lost art, that is, except for here...

"I'm for all the heels to enter the draft. We poke a lot of fun at big luke maye but he has turned himself into an excellent college player and if he's gone the better for us. OFC"

This is the kind of remark that makes this board so incredibly special. Luke Maye has suffered many good-natured jabs over the years. But he has developed himself inta very good player and Skysdad is man enough to recognize that fact.

This kind of sportsmanship is not often found on other boards and seems to be a lost art, that is, except for here...

Thank you. That's a very kind thing to say to me. OFC

Pretty much guarantee he’s coming back. A lot of coaches are seeing value in letting players like a Luke Maye go through this process. Know Maye got invited to at least one team’s facilities this week along with 8-10 other players to access his skills against other player(s) that they are actually looking to draft. Same team invited Admiral Schofield from UT Vols to do the same thing, as they are both very similar to their actual draft target. Know Schofield is coming back based on what he told Rick Barnes recently.

The player gets a chance to compete against some great competition while most college players aren’t doing a whole lot over the last 30 days in regards to preparing for next season. The players also get a chance to go through the process with minimum pressure or expectations because they already decided they’re coming back to college. Are there occasional situations where players that haven’t gotten a ton of visibility show up and ball out and end up getting drafted despite having planned to return to college for another year? Yes.

Mark it down. Luke Maye will be at UNC next year.

Last edited:

Luke Maye sucks

Shocking news. Luke Maye has withdrawn from draft and will return to UNC next season. Just shocking.

Roy continues to talk players into staying for program benefit, so selfish. Hicks, Meeks, Pinson & Stillman White to name a few.

Roy continues to talk players into staying for program benefit, so selfish. Hicks, Meeks, Pinson & Stillman White to name a few.

Maye returning has nothing to do with Roy this time. He just wasn’t going to be drafted or if his name did get called, would be one of the last 5-10 picks in 2nd rd.

Maye returning has nothing to do with Roy this time. He just wasn’t going to be drafted or if his name did get called, would be one of the last 5-10 picks in 2nd rd.

I think there may have been some sarcasm in his post.

Reactions: Laettner
They all suck, other than Pinson.
The 2014 recruiting class revisionist history is pretty fascinating. We recruited Pinson really hard, but ultimately took Winslow over him. Obviously it worked out with Winslow in 2015 with the title, but he left after year one.
What if we got Pinson?? We don't win the 2015 title (Winslow was world's ahead of Pinson year 1) but we get Pinson, a defensive utility guy who we REALLY could have used the past 3 season (especially the 2017 team.) Maybe we get a title or 2 out of these past 3 years.

They all suck, other than Pinson.
The 2014 recruiting class revisionist history is pretty fascinating. We recruited Pinson really hard, but ultimately took Winslow over him. Obviously it worked out with Winslow in 2015 with the title, but he left after year one.
What if we got Pinson?? We don't win the 2015 title (Winslow was world's ahead of Pinson year 1) but we get Pinson, a defensive utility guy who we REALLY could have used the past 3 season (especially the 2017 team.) Maybe we get a title or 2 out of these past 3 years.

Maybe, but the revisionist part doesn't quite work that way. As I recall, Winslow and Tyus were not considered OADs at the time they entered. I think they all benefited from blowing up that season. What's to say Pinson doesn't blow up and leave after one year? What's to say Grayson doesn't leave after that year?

I always like the idea of more titles, haha, but I think this assumes that Winslow was OAD from the start and that Pinson was set to stay no matter what.

Reactions: jwill133
If big luke maye had chose to stay in the draft whether he was chosen in the 1st. 2 rounds or not he would be playing NBA basketball next season. What city in the NBA is his home town? What city in the NBA has more tar heel fans Myrtle Beach has sand? He chose to return to unc and that's fine. He has a good chance to be the ACC player of the year and another All-American year. He can hone his skills. He has nothing to lose because even if he is not drafted next year he still has that team to fall back on because he will put fans in the seat and that franchise will be yelling LLLLUUUKKKEEE just like the NFL franchise yells their Luke. Just wait and see. OFC

3To7vtJ.png

Maye’s exceeded expectations. Fine. But I’ve had unx fans inundate me on Twitter hyping this kid and it’s hilarious. One suggests that Maye was better last season than every player Duke had other than Bagley. Another brags that about Maye goin’ 2-1 vs Duke last year. He “destroyed” the Devils. smh. Since he brought it up , career-wise , Maye is .500 vs Duke. Probably the most impressive thing about ‘im. Heck , I can’t recall the last 4-year tarhole player to leave school with a .500 or better record vs the Devils. Hans maybe?

Reactions: hart2chesson
big luke maye came back for the "nanner puddin." It's all about the "nanner puddin." Must be hard to give up. If I were hof coach roy williams I would make sure "nanner puddin" was on the table every meal the tar heels ate. cam johnson must have got a taste when he was at Pitt. I've always felt it was something funny about that transfer. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT