ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Singler’s NBA career?

Buzzooka Joe

Cameron Crazy
Feb 20, 2006
Why has Kyle Singler not really work out in the NBA?

To me, he seemed like the type of player that would be a solid role player in the NBA for a lot of years (similar to Shane Battier’s career).

Kyle can do a little bit of everything - one of the best all-around players I can remember at Duke. Maybe the fact that he is good at everything but not great at any one thing is the reason for his lack of success in the NBA? Or maybe it’s just the teams/systems he played for didn’t fit?

He carved out a nice little nest egg with OKC, but nothing like I thought he would. He seemed to be an important player for them early but he just couldn’t shoot at the level they needed. His hustle and such just didn’t translate to the league’s current style. Kyle was a 1986 player playing in the 20teens NBA.

He carved out a nice little nest egg with OKC, but nothing like I thought he would. He seemed to be an important player for them early but he just couldn’t shoot at the level they needed. His hustle and such just didn’t translate to the league’s current style. Kyle was a 1986 player playing in the 20teens NBA.

Pretty much this.

Kyle never became an elite shooter. He came to Duke an above-average shooter and left about the same. He also isn’t elite defensively and is a pretty ordinary rebounder from his best NBA position.

Reactions: dukehokie
I don't think he was quite good enough of an athlete to really excel in the NBA. Physically speaking.

12 should be retired at duke though. I'll stop harping about it when it finally happens. Which is never so...

Can’t defend and never developed a good enough shot. He’s made a career which is very respectable though.

Pretty much this.

Kyle never became an elite shooter. He came to Duke an above-average shooter and left about the same. He also isn’t elite defensively and is a pretty ordinary rebounder from his best NBA position.

I feel like he had a good shot but Ever since he hurt that wrist, his shot was never the same.

A) Undersized at 6'8'
B) Below average shooting
C) Minimal rebounding

I actually think Kyle struggled with what a 1986 player would most excel at - shooting and rebounding

If you peak at Singler's stats, his career is a steady decline from rookie (with Pistons) to season #6.

I am also not sure playing on such an unconventional team like OKC where the Point Guard is wrestling with teammates for rebounds was the best situation for him.

I would be proud to see Singler on the Duke bench some day. A warrior who only wanted to win. And did.

I don't feel bad for a guy who probably is making $40 million in his pro career.

Pretty much this.

Kyle wasn't a great athlete. He was a good athlete, but not an elite one. Skill is nice, and important, but athleticism is simply a necessary quality that a player has to have in order to excel in the NBA. Elite perimeter shooting can cover up a multitude of failings in the NBA, but athleticism is a must. Kyle simply wasn't an NBA athlete.

I don't think he was quite good enough of an athlete to really excel in the NBA. Physically speaking.

12 should be retired at duke though. I'll stop harping about it when it finally happens. Which is never so...

I agree that Singler’s Jersey should be retired as should Nolan Smith’s Jersey

Verga,Banks and Spanarkel jerseys should be retired either of these imo

How about Langdon, Boozer, Brand, Jon, Carrawell, Amaker, Alaire, Marin, Mike Lewis, Randy Denton and Jay Williams.

What are we gonna do when we run out of numbers. Duke has a criteria for retiring numbers and if a player meets those his number goes up. Look those players mentioned include some of my favorite players of time. Ponarkel which was my nickname when skysdad was lost in cyberspace a few years ago came from the 1st. two letters of my last name and narkel. I'm all for having some sort of recognition for these great players. Maybe some kind of ring of honor. We dont want to become like unc cheater u and have every number up in the rafters. There has to be a way but we just can't retire every number unless they start using 6-9, 16-19, 26-29,36-39, 46-49 and 56-59. That ain't gonna happen. OFC

Last edited:
Hown about Langdon, Boozer, Brand, Jon, Carrawell, Amaker, Alaire, Marin, Mike Lewis, Randy Denton and Jay Williams.

What are we gonna do when we run out of numbers. Duke has a criteria for retiring numbers and if a player meets those his number goes up. Look those players mentioned include some of my favorite players of time. Ponarkel which was my nickname when skysdad was lost in cyberspace a few years ago came from the 1st. two letters of my last name and narkel. I'm all for having some sort of recognition for these great players. Maybe some kind of ring of honor. We dont want to become like unc cheater u and have every number up in the rafters. There has to be a way but we just can't retire every number unless they start using 6-9, 16-19, 26-29,36-39, 46-49 and 56-59. That ain't gonna happen. OFC
Agree cannot retire every number but the three Imo those three are all time greats for us and in Verga s case would not even take up another number.Wr also have a Hall of Fame which most of not all of the players you mentioned are in.

Agree cannot retire every number but the three Imo those three are all time greats for us and in Verga s case would not even take up another number.Wr also have a Hall of Fame which most of not all of the players you mentioned are in.

I respect what you are saying coach but there can be an argument for every player I listed also. They were All -Americans. OFC

Reactions: topps coach
For a program at Duke's level, the minimum should be consensus All-America.

Which Singler was not. He also never came close to ACC POY. His cumulative stats look good because he played a lot of games. But on a per-game-basis he's not in the discussion.

Which Singler was not. He also never came close to ACC POY. His cumulative stats look good because he played a lot of games. But on a per-game-basis he's not in the discussion.

Kyle was a very good player at Duke. But he's a step below those legends who have deservedly had their numbers retired. That doesn't diminish what he did or was to the program. But it is a clear eyed and rational evaluation of what he did, and why that wasn't enough to merit jersey retirement.

Reactions: skysdad

Jim What is your opinion on Verga?Two time All American three time All ACC and either the second or third highest per game scorer in our history

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT