ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Robinson Appreciation Thread

He’s shooting like 43% from 3. I wonder if he shot 6 or 8 per game, if he could maintain that percentage. If he did, lookout. How dangerous would we be? Wow!

Reactions: christophero
The amazing thing is he plays like a senior even though he has not played that much. He has gained experience in practice and just plays smart.

I honestly think he never got playing time before this due to recruiting.. imagine how it looks for incoming recruits if you’re having to compete with walk-ons for playing time..

Hurt is averaging less than 18 minutes the recent 3 games that J-Rob got playing time.. before that he averaged over 21 minutes a game.. Javin is at 7 minutes a game in this stretch, compared to 14 minutes a game when J-Rob wasn’t getting real playing time..

Although, it isn’t completely fair to label J-Rob a “walk-on”, since he was ranked above Goldwire coming out of high school.. it would be interesting to see what caliber of player we could start getting as walk-ons if they knew they had a real shot at playing time.. It would definitely have an affect on the higher ranked incoming recruits though..
If I’m remembering correctly when JRob came to Duke he was referred to as a preferred walk in which meant that if there was a scholarship available he would be the first player to be offered that available scholarship and I might be wrong about this but I believe that he voluntarily came to Duke as a walk on.

Reactions: skysdad
There’s a really great article on the Athletic all about him from yesterday. I would recommend people subscribe and read it. Here’s a small excerpt about Javin talking about JROb:

“When I first got here, J-Rob had already been here for a year before us. And funny story: I’m the oldest of four boys,” DeLaurier told The Athletic. “I never had a big brother before. And so I met J-Rob, and I said, ‘I don’t know what that’s like, but if I had one, I’d want him to be like you.’ ”

And then he broke down completely, wiping his tears with a towel and burying his head between his knees. It was raw, and real, and other reporters knew to back away and let the man just process.

JRob became only the second Duke player to record 10+ points, 5+ rebounds, 3+ assists, 3+ blocks on Senior Night. The only other player to record those numbers on Senior Night was Christian Laettner and both did it against UNC and they did it almost 28 years to the date apart because Laettner did it on March 8th 1992. Both also won on Senior Night. Laettner went on to win the ACC Tournament and NCAA Tournament, so hopefully JRob marches him in those as well.

Last edited:
There’s a really great article on the Athletic all about him from yesterday. I would recommend people subscribe and read it. Here’s a small excerpt about Javin talking about JROb:

“When I first got here, J-Rob had already been here for a year before us. And funny story: I’m the oldest of four boys,” DeLaurier told The Athletic. “I never had a big brother before. And so I met J-Rob, and I said, ‘I don’t know what that’s like, but if I had one, I’d want him to be like you.’ ”

And then he broke down completely, wiping his tears with a towel and burying his head between his knees. It was raw, and real, and other reporters knew to back away and let the man just process.

It’s an unbelievable article and a must-read for Duke and JRob fans.

Love the comparison that Coach K shared with the media referring his performance to being better than Rudy. That was chilling watching our senior give his team a jolt to will a win on his Senior night. Looked like JRob decided himself that UNCheat would not win in Cameron on his night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT