ADVERTISEMENT

July and what's your starting line-up???

hart2chesson

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2012
A month HOPEFULLY closer to Hoops season (pending Covid), and curious to see K's starting five from your viewpoint. He has a lot of options. Wonder if he'll lean more toward returnees or freshmen? Give me your five by position....

OFC

First here is the depth chart in a sense...as we can tell Duke will some crazy depth next season. Will be interesting to see which 8-9 separate themselves. Although I think K will play 10-11 some nights.

G Roach/Goldwire

G Moore/Steward

F Johnson/Baker

F Hurt/Brakefield

F Tape/Williams/Coleman

Talking about starting lineups early on we know coach K will favor his vets. So I think we’ll see JGold/Moore/Hurt day 1. Roach will be running the point and Jalen is the most Talented freshmen.

That puts Duke rolling with Roach/JGold/Moore/Johnson/Hurt

Opening night in Chicago against MSU

I’ve gone back and forth with this thinking K might roll with a starting C in Williams or Tapé but I can’t see who K would sit for that to happen. We do know however-I think guys like Mark/DJ/Joey will all have their moments in the starting lineups throughout the season. We will see MANY different starting lineups next season-which should be good, keeps the guys on their toes!

I’ll be just as curious to see who’s in there come winning time at the end of the game and ice those FTs late!! Duke has some really nice depth and pieces next season...can’t wait!!

Reactions: christophero
First here is the depth chart in a sense...as we can tell Duke will some crazy depth next season. Will be interesting to see which 8-9 separate themselves. Although I think K will play 10-11 some nights.

G Roach/Goldwire

G Moore/Steward

F Johnson/Baker

F Hurt/Brakefield

F Tape/Williams/Coleman

Talking about starting lineups early on we know coach K will favor his vets. So I think we’ll see JGold/Moore/Hurt day 1. Roach will be running the point and Jalen is the most Talented freshmen.

That puts Duke rolling with Roach/JGold/Moore/Johnson/Hurt

Opening night in Chicago against MSU

I’ve gone back and forth with this thinking K might roll with a starting C in Williams or Tapé but I can’t see who K would sit for that to happen. We do know however-I think guys like Mark/DJ/Joey will all have their moments in the starting lineups throughout the season. We will see MANY different starting lineups next season-which should be good, keeps the guys on their toes!

I’ll be just as curious to see who’s in there come winning time at the end of the game and ice those FTs late!! Duke has some really nice depth and pieces next season...can’t wait!!

Thanks DukeNation!! Thats an awesome overview!!!

Reactions: DukeNation12
Yea I’m not sure how long DJ will be held to the bench...dude is a walking bucket!!

Best overall shooter Duke has had since Luke. I just think K starts the year with proven defense in JGold. Only a matter of time before DJ forces coach K’s hand. Either way what a weapon to have! And Duke has a lot of them near season...Brakefield is a swish army knife and Coleman is a tank truck monster! Should be a really fun season!! Haven’t even mentioned The high defensive and finishing abilities of both bigs!

I just can't see Hurt at the 5 unless he has been doing MAJOR weight and speed training. I don't know who sits to allow him to play the stretch 4 position, but with him at the 5 we have no rim protection or rebounding strength.

I truly believe Williams being able to become a starting caliber C is the key to this Duke team. You just never know when it comes to 5-star centers who aren't a "sure thing." The jump from HS to college is much tougher for big-men. If he pans out next year, he will provide elite shotblocking, rim-protection, and will catch many alley-oops thrown from Jaylen, Jordan, and Jeremy. There is also a clear scenario where he's still too raw and can barely give Duke anything.

I think we see many lineups throughout the year, but by March I hope this is what K settles in on.......
Roach
Moore
Johnson
Hurt
Williams

^^ a lot of great points on Williams. I think Mark definitely has the potential to be the player you described.

Mark is built and has a motor not like many other freshmen bigs-or really any big for Duke in a long time. It will take a little time for him to get comfortable-in really glad Tapé is there to help guide him and go at it in practices. Will only help to improve both of them.

His stats will never jump off at you but his overall impact on the game will be huge next year for Duke next season. Something like a consistent 6-7pts &rebs along with 1.5 blks a game. Love the defensive potential of Williams-his 2nd jump and timing instincts is off the charts. AND he takes pride in being a defensive stopper. Can’t wait to see Williams lace them up for Duke!

I have no idea what to expect from Williams. It’s a coin flip like JWill said.

For some reason my gut is telling me Brakefield is going to be our biggest pleasant surprise. He seems to have a massive chip on his shoulder, much like Jalen does. He could be special.

Roach, Moore, JJ, Hurt, Williams to me is most likely.

Imagine 2 weeks into practice coach K tells the guys vets vs the freshmen...winners start!

*The fact that Duke can roll out a legit 5 upperclassmen vs all freshmen and have 10 legit guys and then some...says volumes of the type of talent coach K will have to use next season. The mixing and matching will be fun... and that Blue/White game!!

JGold/Moore/Baker/Matt/Tapé +KWorth

Vs

Roach/Dj/Jalen/JBrake/Williams + Colemen

We do have a decent blend of talent and experience this year. Getting Tape helps our experience up front. I see us as sweet 16, maybe better if some guys break out. One or two guys will be the odd man out; wonder who it will be. If Williams and Tape are mediocre and we're forced to go small we may struggle. I think Baker is key as well. If he can hit shots that will really help, as Roach, Moore and Goldwire are not really shooters.

^^ I would had 2 A/B: That Jalen Johnson is who we all believe he can be at Duke. For Them to be special-Duke usually has one really special talent.

Jalen is unlike any player I think we may have ever had at Duke before. Anyone think of a similar comp?

AND....can I add to point 3 FT shooting!!! Please give me 2 guys I can stay confident in Late (a al Jon/Nolan...Tyus/Q. Winning teams hit free throws late to close teams out.

I’ll be very curious to see how K runs his defense with these guys. Minus the 3 smaller guards everyone else is 6-6 or taller with solid length.

I predict Moore and Hurt make big jumps and get big minutes. The others are all moving pieces. Except maybe Johnson. I would love to be wrong but I have a feeling Johnson may struggle with his shooting. Roach may split time at the point with Goldwire.

Last edited:
yikes lol. I think he'll be good, but we've been used to great at that position the past 5 years.

DJ Steward will be a starter sooner than later. Could be Duke's leading scorer some nights. Kid got game.
The kid is definitely a scorer bit the huge knock on him is his defense. Its pretty much non existent. Multiple scouting reports say this and for this I expect him to have the kind of year Hurt did last year. If hes hitting his shots he will be in but if not he will be riding the pine due to bringing nothing else to the table so to speak, being to big of a liability on defense.

Jalen is Cam but less the 3pt shooter

From everything I’ve seen/read on Jalen he’s much more of a passer than Cam.

Cam came in with his strongest skill being 3pt shooting...while that’s Jalens weakest part of his game. I like the comparisons to a “poor mans” smaller, more willing shooter to Ben Simmons. Like Cam, Johnson basically played PG for his hs and even aau teams. With so many ball handlers it will be interesting to see how often Jalen will initiate the offense. But he’s a guy who can also grab a board and push it to start transition O.

At his size, I’m not sure we’ve seen a more talented passer. JJ can really pass the ball-even flashy at times. Should be fun!

Last edited:
Roach, Steward, Moore, Johnson, Hurt.

Like that lineup offensively.

Questions on the other end. Not sure what strategy would be best.

This would be my lineup. I think Roach, Moore, and Johnson could handle things on defense, and rotations could come about to adjust as needed. I actually think Moore's function in that lineup is the defense he brings. I think Hurt is the biggest defensive liability and comes off if he's not getting it done.

Reactions: timo0402
^^ like that lineup a lot too....Joey will be a huge wild card next season!!

No reason he shouldn’t be getting 15-18 mins consistently each game. He’s been balling since the Canada Tour. 2 years in the program going at studs day and day out. I think if he’s improved his overall footwork on defense-kid can carve a really nice role for Duke next season. Not many teams have a snipper shooter like Joey Buckets. He just has to prove he can also bring a little something on defense/rebounding.

Gotta think Joey could fight for top 6-8 man role and maybe average close to 7-9PPG. We shall see...he could go either way. I don’t see Joey following in AOCs footsteps. And this first half season could be make or break for Joey and I think he responds nicely with this group!

Reactions: timo0402
Gotta step back and take a good look... Is Duke going be better this year than last?
Can Williams & Tape' give something similar to Carey?
What players will step up and provide the scoring and assists that Tre gave?
Will Steward be able to match Stanely's impact?
Are Brakefield and Coleman going to be better than JRob and Jack?

I don't think we'll be as good at the 1,2 and 5 positions. But we have the potential to have a much better bench.

Reactions: DukeNation12
For Duke to be serious Natty contenders, most (or all) of these things need to happen....
-Moore and Hurt make sophomore leaps and contend for All ACC honors. Hurt scores a ton and Moore becomes one of the best defenders in the country.
-Roach provides solid PG play and doesn't turn the ball over.
-Steward gives us consistent scoring (shooting), along with Joey Baker.
-Williams is a super impactful defender around the rim.
-Johnson is as good as advertised.

I think we know what to expect from Goldwire and Tape', everything else is a question mark.

Also, to clarify, I think Johnson will play the 5 with Hurt at the 4. It seems we have some shooters this year and I'm excited to see what Hurt, Baker, Steward, Brakefield and an improved Moore can do.

I think that could be great because if the 5 isn't working, you can put in Tape and Williams and slot Johnson at the 4 and Hurt at the 3. Lots of interchangeable parts which will be a lot of fun to watch. I do expect success with a range of different lineups depending on the opponent.

I just hope Steward is as good as everyone is saying he will be. I am expecting a Hurt like Jekyll and Hyde season, which is where Goldwire will provide stability. Tape is almost like a extra bonus guy we can put in if we're getting killed down low. A consistent shooting Baker will help cover a lot of the freshman up and downs. I think Moore and Hurt will be much better and more consistent.

PG. Roach
SG. Moore
SF. JJ
PF. Hurt
C. Williams

This is what I am thinking as well. Williams is going to be a bit of a surprise and will provide excellent defense and rebounding around the rim. I could certainly see a smaller lineup of Roach, Steward, Moore, Johnson/Hurt, and Hurt/Williams being used during most games if we need to match up with a smaller lineup or are wanting more three point shooting. Tape will probably be like a senior Vrankovic, not consistently in the main rotation but a guy who will get a few minutes here and there and provide insurance if Johnson/Hurt/Williams are in foul trouble or injured. Maybe he'll be a surprise and be like a senior Robinson.

It seems pretty tough to nail down the lineup though, not sure yet if that is a good thing and just means we have a lot of talent or more because the freshmen aren't the top tier players coming in that we have had in some years.

There's definitely a logjam at the forward spots. Somebody's gonna have to wait their turn.

From the video above, please oh please can we see Moore hit that smooth step back jumper consistently? That sure is a thing of beauty. I agree his shot form looks better!

The only thing to really ponder is if Kgpes with experience which means Tape' and JGold might start or talent with Williams and Roach starting

If Moore can hit that shot consistently, and that's a big if, as he's shooting alone in a gym, he will be the player we all thought he was coming out of high school and have a monster year. He was up and down his first year but his upside (and Hurt's) is huge.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ and dbav
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT