ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Goldwire's future at Duke

I still think he's gone, especially if we get Keels. It would be nice to keep someone like Jordan around for an extra year though. I feel so bad for these kids. Denied two years in a row a postseason. Hurt never seeing the NCAA tournament just doesn't sit right with me. But it is what it is.

Would be great to have him back.

Not sure why he wouldn’t come back. Could return as the Senior leader and get to play in front of fans for his final year and possibly make a run at a Final Four. Not to mention another year of free education at Duke for a kid that’s got a good head on his shoulders.

Reactions: christophero
Not sure why he wouldn’t come back. Could return as the Senior leader and get to play in front of fans for his final year and possibly make a run at a Final Four. Not to mention another year of free education at Duke for a kid that’s got a good head on his shoulders.
If we get Keels though and Steward and Roach continue to progress, there won't be a lot of minutes for him. Plus, some people just want to get on with their lives.

I still think he's gone, especially if we get Keels. It would be nice to keep someone like Jordan around for an extra year though. I feel so bad for these kids. Denied two years in a row a postseason. Hurt never seeing the NCAA tournament just doesn't sit right with me. But it is what it is.
I mean.. denied last year. I'm not sure that's the word I'd use to describe this year.

I mean.. denied last year. I'm not sure that's the word I'd use to describe this year.

I stand by it. They were turning a corner. I truly believe they would've made the ACC title game and possibly won it. Do I think they go far in the NCAA? Nope. But, I think the team had something good going. Maybe I am a homer though.

Reactions: AlanInNJ and GAAP
I stand by it. They were turning a corner. I truly believe they would've made the ACC title game and possibly won it. Do I think they go far in the NCAA? Nope. But, I think the team had something good going. Maybe I am a homer though.
I have a more cynical perspective thank you, but hey, you may be right.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
If Jordan wants an advanced degree at Duke while getting meaningful minutes then he'll come back. If he wants to get on with life and not wait for others to fail in order to get meaningful minutes (and you know Coach K will turn to him as soon as someone else stumbles) then he doesn't come back.

If we get Keels though and Steward and Roach continue to progress, there won't be a lot of minutes for him. Plus, some people just want to get on with their lives.

Agreed. At least with Goldwire staying, we have a legit backup PG. Stewart and Keels aren’t true PGs. Also, K has run two PG sets to press the opponent fairly often. Jordan is the guy that he would use over Steward and Keels.

Jordan would only be needed for 12 to 15 minutes a game which would probably make him more effective. And insurance in case Steward or Roach got hurt. It would be nice to have Keels as well, esp. for the year after. I have a feeling we'll just end up with one.

Last edited:
Maybe a decision has not been made, but the fact that we are going after numerous guard transfers tells me the staff do not expect Goldwire back. What would you tell recruits "hey want to come and be our 4th guard?" Or 5th guard if we get Keels. Hopefully Steward isn't testing the waters. The staff are probably just exploring their options and I'm over thinking this ha.

Last edited:
Staff doing their due diligence, as they should. Need to first gauge if there is mutual interest before anything. Let’s see how everything plays out, I’m sure more names will surface.

When I see an upperclassman transfer like this I always assume its a player who want's to go to a team where he will be the 38 minutes per game star, top scoring option, ect. He's not going to even come close to that at Duke, so I don't think there's even a chance. Just my hunch though.

When I see an upperclassman transfer like this I always assume its a player who want's to go to a team where he will be the 38 minutes per game star, top scoring option, ect. He's not going to even come close to that at Duke, so I don't think there's even a chance. Just my hunch though.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Sometimes sure, but i think there are guys who hop to programs they think have a chance of making a real run at a final 4, as well, with their help. I think in college that’s the ultimate goal.

if he wants 38 min, he’s going to have to step down to the low major or mid major level.

Would be nice to get a junior for continuity. Otherwise we're good if we get Keels to go with Roach and Steward. If we whiff on Keels then we have transfer options. Goldwire and Keels would be ideal.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Maybe I’m the minority here, but I’d gladly take Jordan back. The kid paid his dues and hustled like crazy at Duke. His energy could be a continued positive for the young guys.

I agree. I am a Goldwire fan. I didn't/don't think he should be a 32 minute a game guy. This year I struggled with the fact that in multiple end of game situations he was the one taking shots, but that was mostly situational because we lacked an alpha (or beta :oops:) scorer.

The kid plays hard, would bring energy and leadership, and would be an asset coming off the bench 15 minutes a game IMHO.

Agreed I think most would take Jordan back, and agree he's best playing 15 minutes a game. Roach really vanished at times this year which forced Goldwire to play more. Roach did look better down the stretch.

Reactions: Fourteen44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT