ADVERTISEMENT

Jahlil Okafor knocks out man in Boston after game..

He was hammered and yelling childish things at some Boston hecklers. Bad behavior no matter what. He might get sued now, or worse face minor charges. Why is he going to clubs during the season? Famous people get drunk in private. Learn this lesson or pay the price, Jah.

People do stupid things when they are young and drunk...I know I did. That doesn't excuse behavior at the best approach is to avoid any potential scene.

Part of being rich and famous is being a target...hopefully this is a lesson and not the beginning.

I saw the video and he was yelling really childish things back at the heckler. I think this is another good reason to keep kids in school for another couple years. I like the NFL rule of 3 years out of high school it helps people mature a little more. I know it will not solve every problem but wouldn't hurt.
It would not shock me to see all of this end poorly for him as far as people digging in the cookie jar and not looking out for his best interest. It also would not shock me to hear that his dad was with him when all this went down.

I can't think of any circumstance where I would go out at night, during the season, in any city/area except my hometown.. My ass would be in the hotel room ordering room service and playing PS4..

But I guess that's the difference between a 19 year old and a 28 year old.

Reactions: CatcherForLife6
Shame this had to happen. He shouldn't have been at the bar since he's under aged even though he might not have been drinking. Second of all he's going to be heckled the rest of his career so he needs to get used to it. Just hope he doesn't get sued but I imagine he may. Wonder if the guy is a college basketball fan and who he pulls for. Still no excuse. Hope Jah learned from this. OFC

I saw the video and he was yelling really childish things back at the heckler. I think this is another good reason to keep kids in school for another couple years. I like the NFL rule of 3 years out of high school it helps people mature a little more. I know it will not solve every problem but wouldn't hurt.
It would not shock me to see all of this end poorly for him as far as people digging in the cookie jar and not looking out for his best interest. It also would not shock me to hear that his dad was with him when all this went down.

Wow, Duhondukie, tell us how you really feel. It was a situation that happens and can go in a bad direction. I'm pretty sure in the future the 76er's organization and his agent will put the 'right/correct' barriers around him to protect their investment. Let's be mild about attacking parents.

He's 19. He'll learn.

Better than an NBA player kicking a homeless person for no reason. I'll leave out which program that player went to, but since their fans are obsessed with Duke, I'm sure they'll find this post.

Although I am disappointed.. I am holding back complete judgment because the video only shows a minute of the altercation.. We have no idea what happened before this.. Regardless, Jahlil shouldn't have even been in the situation.

A few things.

First, there is no way to not be disappointed after this in Jahlil. He has to be professional and cannot allow stuff like this to happen. It is absolutely inexcusable to do this. He should know better.

Second, he's 19 and still not full matured. Not an excuse, but I'm 24 and while I haven't been in a fight since 7th grade, it wasn't until about 3 years ago that I determined that I would not ever get in a fist fight unless there was no other choice. He's not even 20. He has a lot of growing up to (obviously) and much to understand about life. He will learn from this, likely the hard way. People his age make mistakes.

Hard to hear this, but I don't think he's a bad person because of this, just really poor judgement.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
The fact that Okafor attended Duke for a few months doesn't automatically preclude him from acting like a jerk when he's hammered. He'll learn a lesson and move on.

I feel sorry for anyone who judges a 19 year old, let alone a wealthy one for their actions. Its disappointing, but he'll definitely learn from it.

The fact that Okafor attended Duke for a few months doesn't automatically preclude him from acting like a jerk when he's hammered. He'll learn a lesson and move on.
I'm not convinced yet that he was the jerk. Dumb to go deck a guy, but maybe he had it coming. Jah was pissed off in that vid. He felt wronged somehow. I'm interested to see if it was more than what's been reported. Either way, he screwed up.

Let's see what comes of this - imagine if the guy made a comment about his mother. Is it "right" to punch someone? According to the law, and most people, no it's not. IMO however, sometimes people get what they deserve.

Reactions: DukeDyNasty22
Disappointing behavior by Jah. Being a Black man from Chicago, he should know very well that this is the kind of thing that leads to shooting deaths all the time. A bullet doesn't care how young and talented you are, how much money you have, what your incredible potential is, or how you conduct yourself with dignity, class, and honor the rest of the time. I suppose there were some poor choices leading up to it, but it was a loss of control -- an abdication of conscious choice -- that put it over the top. I trust he'll learn, and that K, Capel, Scheyer, Nate, Tyus, Quinn, and others will be there for him.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
He was a kid being a kid. Ofcourse, he made a bad decision going out in an opposing team's city not to mention it was Boston. Boston is notorius for having violent fans. Paul Pierce got stabbed in his own city going out. Granted, he compounded the problem by fighting. He will be getting sued. I wonder if the league will step in due to the highly publicized natural of the incident. Trust me he will learn from this, cause the lawyers will see to that.

Wow, Duhondukie, tell us how you really feel. It was a situation that happens and can go in a bad direction. I'm pretty sure in the future the 76er's organization and his agent will put the 'right/correct' barriers around him to protect their investment. Let's be mild about attacking parents.
Don't get me wrong I love Jah and hope this blows over for him.
The only reason I brought up his dad is I am from Illinois and went to the State Championship game when Jah was a Senior, I walked out of the arena with my 9 year old son and watched his dad act like a complete moron after the game (drawing a lot of attention to himself). That is the only reason I brought it up.
Anyway, good luck to Jah, I hope he can move on and make better decisions.

His greatest risk in that altercation was himself, he's in a scrape if he breaks his hand or wrist punching some POS on the street.

Jahlil will learn from this but it's not like people haven't lost there cool before... the fan was clearly heckling big Jah and got what was coming for him.. may get fined or suspended for a game but this doesn't change any perspective of how great a kid he is so what he knocked a guy clean out. Should have known not to mess with a 6'11 265 nba athlete this isn't a video game, it's real life with real consequences. .... Put yourself in his shoes a 19 year old kid from Chicago a very rough area. .. to becoming a millionaire in a year he has to get adjusted to being famous and rich and knowing that certain cities there is a rivalry deeper than some young players know with these fans. Boston and Philly fans are known to be a$$holes so just saying be more careful big fella he could be seen as a target to fans to harras

Man Rule # 1 in 2015...WE LIVE IN THE AGE OF TECHNOLOGY. Everyone has a smartphone to video your every movement. Oak did not do anything other Dukies did not and have not done. "HE JUST GOT CAUGHT." He will learn. The 76er's have learned. His agent have learned. Some of our most beloved Duke players have done worst...it just was not videotaped. I know for a fact when some of our Dukies were NBA players in Chicago....MANNNNN...those guys were wild. Guess what? They were suppose to be. Lots of money. Lots of fans. Lots of problems.

Oak will be fine. There is no excuse, but youth and unawareness. Leave the kid alone. He, like all of us, is not an Angel.

I may get some kick back with this statement but I don't see how we can defend Jah in this. even though he is very young he knew he shouldn't have been at hat bar. Just hope the guy he hit doesn't get all that money Jah told him he had. Still a Jah fan and hopes he has a HOF career and that some other young players learn from this as well as Jah. OFC

Every pro who graduates from Duke isn't going to leave the game , head back home and knit a sweater and practice up on his bible verses. They are going to be at clubs, bars, sports bars etc. And every one of them has an asshole inside. He's just gotta be more careful and shorten his fuse.

Look on the bright side. I bet that Boston fan won't be talking trash to professional sports players anymore…well maybe if they're golfers.

Okay, it this were a Tar Heel we're talking about...we would call him a thug. And we can say he's young, he's drunk, whatever, but Jah was STUPID. He's a high profile basketball player that doesn't just ball, but represents the Philadelphia 76'ers. He has endorsements (or will have), and he has an obligation to represent the companies with a certain degree of integrity. The money making power he has is generational and can provide the Okafor family with financial stability for a lifetime. Too many people depend on him to allow himself to succumb to such foolishness.

And would we feel differently if something similar to this happened while he was at Duke? What do you think K would do if he was on the Duke team? Whether we like it or not, or agree with it, this also reflects back on Duke basketball. And being a part of a recent national championship Duke team makes the spotlight even brighter.

I think both teams that passed on Jah in the NBA draft made a mistake, but I'm willing to bet that this morning the T-Wolves are even more satisfied with making Towns the #1 pick.

Also his life has now just became harder. He's shown that he's hot-headed and going to be provoked even more on and off the court in an attempt to get him to blow his cool, or in the case of fans in search of a big payday, from egging him into a physical altercation.

Everyone makes mistakes, but this was a big one for a young player just getting started in the league. Thankfully no one was hurt, and it looks like everyone fled so he may get lucky and not have to worry about a lawsuit (unless a lawyer is able to track 'em down). Hopefully, this is a big wakeup call, and he's able to get his temper (and/or drinking) under control. I wish him the best.

OFC

OFC

Apparently no charges from police from this incident.. So it obviously wasn't him just stacking an innocent bystander... I bet the guy who got knocked out will be suing though.. Just like when the home invader sues the home owner when he gets shot for breaking in the home

Yes, I would expect more if he were at Duke, because k is more responsible for him while he's in college. His pro coach, not so much. College coach , kids. Pro coach, grown ass men. I'm definitely not saying what he did was right, it was 100% wrong. But he is young and it's his first incident, so I gotta give him a chance. If it happens again , then he's got problems.

Okay, it this were a Tar Heel we're talking about...we would call him a thug. And we can say he's young, he's drunk, whatever, but Jah was STUPID. He's a high profile basketball player that doesn't just ball, but represents the Philadelphia 76'ers. He has endorsements (or will have), and he has an obligation to represent the companies with a certain degree of integrity. The money making power he has is generational and can provide the Okafor family with financial stability for a lifetime. Too many people depend on him to allow himself to succumb to such foolishness.

And would we feel differently if something similar to this happened while he was at Duke? What do you think K would do if he was on the Duke team? Whether we like it or not, or agree with it, this also reflects back on Duke basketball. And being a part of a recent national championship Duke team makes the spotlight even brighter.

I think both teams that passed on Jah in the NBA draft made a mistake, but I'm willing to bet that this morning the T-Wolves are even more satisfied with making Towns the #1 pick.

Also his life has now just became harder. He's shown that he's hot-headed and going to be provoked even more on and off the court in an attempt to get him to blow his cool, or in the case of fans in search of a big payday, from egging him into a physical altercation.

Everyone makes mistakes, but this was a big one for a young player just getting started in the league. Thankfully no one was hurt, and it looks like everyone fled so he may get lucky and not have to worry about a lawsuit (unless a lawyer is able to track 'em down). Hopefully, this is a big wakeup call, and he's able to get his temper (and/or drinking) under control. I wish him the best.

OFC

OFC

Very good post dirt and if it were a Tar Heel we would be all over it. THR should have a good time with this and all we can do is just sit back and take it like men. If he had done this while a Duke I think Coach K would have suspended him for several games if not all no matter what the cost but I doubt that it would have happened while he was a duke because of the company he would have around. He made the choice to hit the town after a game and from what I saw on the video he could have very well been intoxicated and I emphasize intoxicated. The guy still may press assault charges against him. True it's not rare for young men of his age to go out and tie one on with the boys but it's like you said he is in the public light, he represents the 76er's and should have not been in the situation he was in. I would like to know the whole story. I'm sure there's more to it. But the one thing for sure if he had not been there we would not even have a thread about it. OFC

Anyone who says this is normal behavior and you did the same thing or worse when you were his age I say you need to think about this more. I got in many fights when I was young but there is no comparison with Jah and I. To begin with Jah is not a normal 19 year old and no one on this board can relate to him in any way. I am so disappointed by this and this is such a foolish moment for Big Jah and hopefully he's learned a little for whats likely going to cost him a large amount of money and embrassment. Just because Jah is nearly 7 feet tall and weighs 270 lbs doesn't mean he is a grown up and I was shocked when I saw him staggering around intoxicated. He shouldn't have been in a bar drinking to begin with because he's not allowed to act like this because of who he is and the notoriety he carries everyone he goes. Fighting is not an option for Jah and he will pay a good deal of money for this childish behavior. I am sure his 76er contract will penalize him for his actions. I hope he stays in his motel after the game in the future.

haha, if i had to go from Dukes win loss ratio to the Sixers win loss ratio, i'd be out drinking too, LOL

Again, we all have our points. I'll be disappointed if he has a similar incident. If he learned his lesson from this one, we're good.

haha, if i had to go from Dukes win loss ratio to the Sixers win loss ratio, i'd be out drinking too, LOL
I would probably drink a 5th a night if I was a 76er but I would stay home with a lady friend.

Anyone who says this is normal behavior and you did the same thing or worse when you were his age I say you need to think about this more. I got in many fights when I was young but there is no comparison with Jah and I. To begin with Jah is not a normal 19 year old and no one on this board can relate to him in any way. I am so disappointed by this and this is such a foolish moment for Big Jah and hopefully he's learned a little for whats likely going to cost him a large amount of money and embrassment. Just because Jah is nearly 7 feet tall and weighs 270 lbs doesn't mean he is a grown up and I was shocked when I saw him staggering around intoxicated. He shouldn't have been in a bar drinking to begin with because he's not allowed to act like this because of who he is and the notoriety he carries everyone he goes. Fighting is not an option for Jah and he will pay a good deal of money for this childish behavior. I am sure his 76er contract will penalize him for his actions. I hope he stays in his motel after the game in the future.

If he was drinking then I hope the bar gets cited for serving an under aged customer alcohol. OFC

Reactions: crazyduke3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT