ADVERTISEMENT

Here's Why Matt Jones Plays

OldasdirtDevil

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 16, 2009
He brings so much to this Duke Blue team, but his defense is something we must have. We wouldn't have beaten Clemson without him, and his defense imo. Here is an article about him, and what Jayson Tatum, and Coach K think about him. WARNING...this article linked is from ESPN, which I don't particularly like giving clicks to, but I thought it was good enough to make an exception.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas...dukes-matt-jones-understands-value-of-defense
OFC

He brings so much to this Duke Blue team, but his defense is something we must have. We wouldn't have beaten Clemson without him, and his defense imo. Here is an article about him, and what Jayson Tatum, and Coach K think about him. WARNING...this article linked is from ESPN, which I don't particularly like giving clicks to, but I thought it was good enough to make an exception.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas...dukes-matt-jones-understands-value-of-defense
OFC

Love me some defense. Kudos to Matt. It's a shame more kids on this Duke team don't take pride in defense. Kennard, as athletic and long as he is, has the ability to be just as good a defender as Jones but I guess the desire isn't there. Jordan, Kobe, Lebron play(ed) great defense. Not sure who these kids are looking up to.

Love me some defense. Kudos to Matt. It's a shame more kids on this Duke team don't take pride in defense. Kennard, as athletic and long as he is, has the ability to be just as good a defender as Jones but I guess the desire isn't there. Jordan, Kobe, Lebron play(ed) great defense. Not sure who these kids are looking up to.

I don't think you can question Luke's "desire" at the end yesterday.As K noted, he nearly made a great play to intercept the 1st Clemson in-bounds pass. Even so, it forced Clemson into a spot throw-in and took a few precious ticks off clock. Geez if it hadnt been for Luke's OFFENSE yesterday 2nd half, our defense is a moot point...

OFC

I don't think you can question Luke's "desire" at the end yesterday.As K noted, he nearly made a great play to intercept the 1st Clemson in-bounds pass. Even so, it forced Clemson into a spot throw-in and took a few precious ticks off clock. Geez if it hadnt been for Luke's OFFENSE yesterday 2nd half, our defense is a moot point...

OFC

Well that's my point. Luke is CAPABLE of "consistently" being a better defender. But I hate inconsistency. He made great plays on the inbounds you referenced but also late he let a guy just walk to the basket for a layup. I mean he literally just let the guy, it was what we call "olay" lol I saw Capel reaction too. I love Luke. We need Luke. But we need that desire EVERYTIME. JMO and I don't think I'm being overly critical.

“I honestly don’t know how it developed, as I started learning the nooks and crannies of basketball, I realized you had to play defense to win,” Jones said. “Then I started liking it. I started loving stopping that person and winning that matchup. Yeah, I just kind of fell in love with it.”

Matt Jones

This should be posted in the locker room

He will go down as one of the most underappreciated Duke players next year. Which player do we have on this team right now can stand up next year and be our defensive stopper next year. Who's gonna make those diving on the floor to knock the ball away or steal a pass that leads to a score. He'll knock down a much needed 3 from time to time just when we need it. Who is that pla

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Well that's my point. Luke is CAPABLE of "consistently" being a better defender. But I hate inconsistency. He made great plays on the inbounds you referenced but also late he let a guy just walk to the basket for a layup. I mean he literally just let the guy, it was what we call "olay" lol I saw Capel reaction too. I love Luke. We need Luke. But we need that desire EVERYTIME. JMO and I don't think I'm being overly critical.
The cold hard reality is that Luke is an average at best straight line drive defender. He lacks the athleticism and strength to keep opposing players from getting to the rim and that is not going to change. The thing is, he is the most efficient scorer in the country and has single handedly saved Duke's season on that end of the floor. You have to be willing to accept the fact that he is going to get beat on D and hope that his teammates can provide enough help to not make it the cause for defeat. On the other end though he is a matchup nightmare as he literally has no weaknesses....I have never seen a smarter offensive player than Kennard. It does not matter what you do, he is going to get his shots and can score from deep, mid-range, and has the ability to finish with both hands around the rim. If I were coaching against Duke, I would do everything in my power to get Luke in foul trouble, telling players to attack the rim on him every single time they get the ball. He will really let you get to the rim when he senses going to the bench, and if you can get him in foul trouble Duke's offense takes an absolutely massive hit. Just my take.

Do any of the clown posters on here want to set Tatum and K straight? Jones sucks, right? Should get minimal PT, right? Here's your chance to share your basketball acumen with the team.
That article will never change my opinion regarding Matt Jones. If Duke is going to make a deep run in March, Frank Jackson will need to play increased minutes at the expense of Matt Jones. There is certainly a need for Jones to get minutes but not 30+ minutes. No way. I love what Jones brings to the team but K highly overvalues him.

Reactions: hart2chesson
That article will never change my opinion regarding Matt Jones. If Duke is going to make a deep run in March, Frank Jackson will need to play increased minutes at the expense of Matt Jones. There is certainly a need for Jones to get minutes but not 30+ minutes. No way. I love what Jones brings to the team but K highly overvalues him.

I agree. I think Jackson is showing he's bringing a very viable 4th scoring option in recent games and we need him more as we get deeper in the season. We still need quite a bit of Matt however, just not 35-40 mins IMO.

OFC

Reactions: OHballer
We don't win four of our last five games without Matt. He's been crucial to our success and I hate how some of our fans undervalue the hell out of what he brings to our team. Our scoring is fine.

What has impressed me the most about frank is how under control he is right now. He definitely needs to be out there because he has earned it. Not because Matt has deserved to be benched.

OAD, great article! Sometimes people don't understand how many times Matt has changed the flow of games with his big defensive plays. Defense is an art, just the same as shooting and rebounding. Obviously, not everyone likes to play defense, because it takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice. I always enjoyed teaching kids to play defense and watching the results. Everyone should know, good defense wins games, and Matt is a proven winner.
Go Duke!
OFC

I know I do not "undervalue" Matt. I have said it once and I will say it again- we dont get to the final four w/o Matt's Gonzaga performance in '15. Now I was down on him last year, but I think he was playing under more pressure because we were trying to get more scoring out of him.

I would like to see his minutes curbed to about 30, and see Frank get a little more PT. I think our offense flows best w/him at point, but we wont go all the way w/o Matt's leadership and other attributes....

OFC

Besides his defense, the thing that I like the most about Matt being on the team is that whenever we need a big 3 to start a run for us or to stop a run the other team is on, Matt always seems to make a huge 3 just when we need it.

Last edited:
I know I do not "undervalue" Matt. I have said it once and I will say it again- we dont get to the final four w/o Matt's Gonzaga performance in '15. Now I was down on him last year, but I think he was playing under more pressure because we were trying to get more scoring out of him.

I would like to see his minutes curbed to about 30, and see Frank get a little more PT. I think our offense flows best w/him at point, but we wont go all the way w/o Matt's leadership and other attributes....

OFC
Matt played with nagging injuries last season.

If you only watch the ball, you miss most of what Matt does.

Actually, if you're watching the ball in a game of basketball, you're missing the game! Truth. Don't be a ball watcher. You're peripheral vision will let you know when a shot goes up.

Whatever happened to "get nasty"? I know we have been winning lately so maybe that's it but he's been Mia for a while

Matt played with nagging injuries last season.
He did play with nagging injuries, mainly after the initial UNC game. However for the balance of the year his contributions seemed down compared to '15 and '17. Again I think its because we were in a situation where we were counting on him for more points...

OFC

IMO at this point in the season, it's less about playing this over that guy and play who is hot. If it's a defensive struggle like Clemson, IMO, if Matt is playing good D, he plays. If it's offense you need, give Frank some extra possessions.

Either way, the guys who are playing have earned their time. That INCLUDES Matt and Frank.

IMO at this point in the season, it's less about playing this over that guy and play who is hot. If it's a defensive struggle like Clemson, IMO, if Matt is playing good D, he plays. If it's offense you need, give Frank some extra possessions.

Hokie I like your reasoning.....In a game like UNC I think you have to have Frank in there more even if it does mean a little less time for Matt. They just have so many weapons, and you know its going to be an up-tempo game.We cant afford for him to languish too much on the pine.

Conversely, in a game like UVA this week, where its a grind it out, more limited possessions affair- I say Matt's D is of the utmost concern. Watching them tonite, Parentes was really controlling the rock and driving off the dribble. "Matty Ice" could be the matchup on him, and the game could ride on it...

OFC

Last edited:
Whatever happened to "get nasty"? I know we have been winning lately so maybe that's it but he's been Mia for a while

While we are speaking of posters that aren't posting now what about Fear the Beard. He was really good. I know his wife was hurt pretty bad in an accident but the last I heard she was rec

To beat UVA, you have to turn them over. Matt on Perrentes could definitely be the key to Duke winning. It's funny, against UNC, I think Matt was just fine, I actually think Frank should have taken a few minutes from Luke or one of our bigs. I don't necessarily think it should be Frank vs. Matt here. I think there's room for both as Frank has also become a smarter defender.

Reactions: Mac9192
To beat UVA, you have to turn them over. Matt on Perrentes could definitely be the key to Duke winning. It's funny, against UNC, I think Matt was just fine, I actually think Frank should have taken a few minutes from Luke or one of our bigs (which he did actually when Amile fouled out). I don't necessarily think it should be Frank vs. Matt here. I think there's room for both as Frank has also become a smarter defender.

This is true, and he did make the big play on the loose ball. Depends on the situation I suppose. Certainly despite all the D needed YESTERDAY we couldnt have had Luke out 2nd half. He flat out carried us home....I suppose to me its Matt/Frank because I REALLY like having those three who combined for 64 vs UNC on floor together as much as possible.With Frank in there, that probably puts another bona fide offensive weapon out front who is closest thing we have to PG. However in a "small ball situation" Matt and those 4 are IDEAL, because we have our 4 best scorers AND BEST on-ball defender!!!

OFC

This is true, and he did make the big play on the loose ball. Depends on the situation I suppose. Certainly despite all the D needed YESTERDAY we couldnt have had Luke out 2nd half. He flat out carried us home....I suppose to me its Matt/Frank because I REALLY like having those three who combined for 64 vs UNC on floor together as much as possible.With Frank in there, that probably puts another bona fide offensive weapon out front who is closest thing we have to PG. However in a "small ball situation" Matt and those 4 are IDEAL, because we have our 4 best scorers AND BEST on-ball defender!!!

OFC

Absolutely. That's my point. At various points of the year, you could regard about 5-6 guys on this team and say "without ____, we wouldn't have won the game against _____." That's the big difference between this year and last year. You had really only had two indispensable pieces, Grayson and Brandon.

This is a legit team that has a chance to go far and all you have to do is look at how many guys we have who are needed at any given point on the floor.

Absolutely. That's my point. At various points of the year, you could point at about 5-6 guys on this team and say "without ____, we wouldn't have won the game against _____." That's the big difference between this year and last year. You had really two indispensable pieces, Grayson and Brandon.

This is a legit team that has a chance to go far and all you have to do is look at how many guys we have who are needed at any given point on the floor.

I really see what you mean Hokie.....The "small ball" five we have is one heckuva group for certain situations- its an ideal lineup in some end of game situations, and to just force up tempo, maybe a little of the half court trap we've shown occasionally.

OFC

Reactions: dukehokie
I really see what you mean Hokie.....The "small ball" five we have is one heckuva group for certain situations- its an ideal lineup in some end of game situations, and to just force up tempo, maybe a little of the half court trap we've shown occasionally.

OFC

Yep. One thing K has done for years that more and more coaches are doing is breaking the game into 4 minute segments. So while we might like to see Harry or Ques or Frank in the game for half an hour, as a part of his game plan, right or wrong, K sees 4 minute chunks based on the opposing team's personnel and sets.

So when the question is "why is Matt playing, but not [insert name here]," it's because a.) he studied the film better than his teammates and b.) as a part of K's game plan and his propensity to anticipate the coming move, Matt's job is to disrupt a set the other team is running. As welll as the segments in which Frank is on the floor when offense is the main plan of possession. So that small 5 at times, even though it is giving up some rebounding leverage, may be able to make up for that with the ability to get stops, then subsequently score, leading to some key runs.

Reactions: dukiejay

AAU Basketball. They don't teach defense. It's all about fast breaks and scoring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT