ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Daniels at Duke Practice

DutchDevil

Recruit
Apr 21, 2015
Here are his tweets:

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels
Watched Duke practice this afternoon. So many scoring weapons. Easy to see why they're a favorite to win it all.

This has to be one of Mike Krzyzewski's best shooting teams. Every time Grayson Allen or Luke Kennard shot it I thought it was going in.

Amile Jefferson will be an important part of Duke's team. Plays with such good energy. Went to the glass. Seems like a heck of a teammate.

Frank Jackson had some bright moments in the scrimmage. He's physically ready. Versatile, strong & has an impressive burst of speed.

Here are his tweets:

Watched Duke practice this afternoon. So many scoring weapons. Easy to see why they're a favorite to win it all.

This has to be one of Mike Krzyzewski's best shooting teams. Every time Grayson Allen or Luke Kennard shot it I thought it was going in.

Amile Jefferson will be an important part of Duke's team. Plays with such good energy. Went to the glass. Seems like a heck of a teammate.

Frank Jackson had some bright moments in the scrimmage. He's physically ready. Versatile, strong & has an impressive burst of speed.

I was at the practice yesterday, and I agree with Evan, Duke has several weapons that played well. I was a guest of Delta Airlines and was able to watch the entire practice. Grayson, Luke, Frank, Jayson and Amile really came to play. I actually thought Chase was much improved. He played hard and made some tough shots.

I saw Evan sitting at the scorers table along with Dino Gaudio. They played three 12 minute games and even had refs calling fouls. It was fun to watch.

Reactions: gottagonow
I was at the practice yesterday, and I agree with Evan, Duke has several weapons that played well. I was a guest of Delta Airlines and was able to watch the entire practice. Grayson, Luke, Frank, Jayson and Amile really came to play. I actually thought Chase was much improved. He played hard and made some tough shots.

I saw Evan sitting at the scorers table along with Dino Gaudio. They played three 12 minute games and even had refs calling fouls. It was fun to watch.
The 5 players you list, I think you could see that lineup when duke is winning at the end of games (as long as Amile has improved on FT shooting).

Can you give a brief discussion of each player?

Can you give a brief discussion of each player?

Hi Jake,

The team had three 12 minute games with refs, so it was like a real game. My take on the players was...

Grayson - Smooth and he didn't look like he was going full speed and still scored most of the time. From 3, he was rock solid. Allen is a stud and I swear, didn't look like he was going full speed. I know I said that twice, but he was that smooth.

Matt - Played PG to start and struggled a little bit to score. I like Matt and what he brings but he's not a PG. His defense was noticeably good, though. I like the leadership that Matt brought yesterday, I think he scores less than last year but will definitely be important.

Amile - He was STRONG yesterday. He got rebounds, got in players' faces, had a few dunks. He was easily 100% and did a lot of little things. One time, when he scored, he ran down the court yelling to get his teammates pumped up. He will easily be the leader of this team.

Jayson Tatum - He's extremely long and has a great fade away. I wouldn't say he was great shooting the 3, but when he put it on the floor (which he did often), he will be hard to keep from shooting. His arms are really long. On defense he was hard to dribble around because of how long he is. Yesterday he scored a bunch from inside the 3 point line. The thing I noticed is, he was that flashy, but somehow scored, and could get into the passing lanes with his long arms.

Marques Bolden - He was good, but didn't score as much as I had hoped. Yesterday, he defended well because he's very long, but had some trouble scoring. It wasn't a bad performance on offense, I just didn't see a ton of post moves and, at least yesterday, they didn't pass it into the post first (like an Okafor), but I think we expected that. Overall, he can score and block shots, but out of the gate, I don't see him dominating early. Just my opinion from yesterday.

Chase - He's an interesting player because he goes all out, 100%. He was all over the place. He even hit some shots as well as a couple of foul shots. I wonder if he's a great practice player but a little timid during a game. I thought he was a lot better than his game performances last year. I see him as a very good back up to Marques, pushing him to play hard.

Luke - His stroke looked great and he played some PG as well. He's very skilled at protecting the ball. He scored a lot yesterday. In fact, he and Grayson were the two best players on the court and it wasn't that close. The funny thing was, someone asked me "why is Luke playing with his hair so much"? I laughed because he did that a lot last year. I really hope Luke plays a lot because with he and Grayson on the court together, Yikes. The two easily stood out.

Frank Jackson - My god he's really big for a 6'3'' guy. Capel told us he's 205 (while he's listed as that in the guide) he's still bigger than you think in person. He had a huge dunk and got the small crowd cheering. I will say he struggled to hit 3's yesterday (bad actually). That said, if he puts it on the floor, he will be hard to slow down. In fact, if Jackson and Tatum both put it on the floor instead of settle for the 3, they will be really tough to keep out of the lane.

Javin DeLaurier - He was surprising athletic. I'm saying this a lot, but he's really long as well. Defensively, I can see him getting some playing time because of how tough he is. I came away very impressed with his ability to defend. He didn't shoot a lot, but he didn't need to. I can see him getting playing time if Duke's defensive effort needs a boast. Based off of yesterday, he will be a pleasant surprise as a back up to Amile while Harry recovers.

Jack White - Holy cow, he's a lot better than I thought. He probably won't play a lot this year, but he was a surprise as well. Again, this is just a practice, but I remember saying several times, wow, White can play.

Antonio Vrankovic - He played a few minutes and was a serviceable back up as well. He was better defensively but I can see him developing a Marshall type of career. Maybe not getting the minutes Marshall got, but I wasn't disappointed in what I saw.

I told the person next to me, this team is awesome and Harry Giles wasn't even on the court. I cannot imagine what a healthy Giles adds, because this team is very good and very long.

If I had to guess, it will be Matt, Grayson, Amile, Jayson and Marques to start the season.

Thanks for the report, John. I think with Grayson having those "incidents" last year it prevented some people from appreciating how good of a player he is and can be. There's little doubt he's AA-caliber.

Thanks for the report, John. I think with Grayson having those "incidents" last year it prevented some people from appreciating how good of a player he is and can be. There's little doubt he's AA-caliber.

Completely agree. It's just hard to see him last year and this year and think he was worst rated player from his recruiting class at Duke. Of course, Okafor, Winslow and Jones were great players, but Allen is just as amazing.

Thanks!
The thing I see happening is this year there will be many interchangeable parts.

Thanks Jake!

I like everything you said, but really hope Luke or Frank start at the PG position. I'm not Matt's biggest fan of his play, but I think it's pretty clear he struggles to play and defend the PG position. You really take away his strengths when he's guarding or being guarded by PGs.

Reactions: pisgah101
First Evan Daniels breaks the story about Zion going to Western Kentucky for midnight madness instead of LNWR, and now he's tweeting about how great we looked? UNC fans are going to love this.:D

Matt and Amile will also bring leadership that will be much needed for this otherwise young team. Everyone knows that the season of a freshman has its shares of ups and downs and someone needs to keep the young guys grounded when they are in the middle of a high and lift them up when they hit a rut. On the court, I agree, that Matt should be playing off the ball as a spot shooter. We have too many scoring options for him to control the ball for extended periods of time. Defensively I am hoping that whatever was ailing him physically last year is in the past and a healthy body helps Matt get back to being one of our best on ball defenders.

I am excited about our depth in the front court this year. Last year it was throwing Marshall out there and asking him to go as long as he could tolerate and then hold your breath when we brought in Jeter or Obi. This year by all accounts it sounds as if Jeter has taken a major step forward and between Bolden Jeter and Giles (when he returns) we can rotate big men through and keep them fresh for later in the year. What was a glaring weakness of ours last year has turned into a major strength (with a healthy Giles).

yikes how i dare forget Amile too!

Last edited:
Hi Jake,

The team had three 12 minute games with refs, so it was like a real game. My take on the players was...

Grayson - Smooth and he didn't look like he was going full speed and still scored most of the time. From 3, he was rock solid. Allen is a stud and I swear, didn't look like he was going full speed. I know I said that twice, but he was that smooth.

Matt - Played PG to start and struggled a little bit to score. I like Matt and what he brings but he's not a PG. His defense was noticeably good, though. I like the leadership that Matt brought yesterday, I think he scores less than last year but will definitely be important.

Amile - He was STRONG yesterday. He got rebounds, got in players' faces, had a few dunks. He was easily 100% and did a lot of little things. One time, when he scored, he ran down the court yelling to get his teammates pumped up. He will easily be the leader of this team.

Jayson Tatum - He's extremely long and has a great fade away. I wouldn't say he was great shooting the 3, but when he put it on the floor (which he did often), he will be hard to keep from shooting. His arms are really long. On defense he was hard to dribble around because of how long he is. Yesterday he scored a bunch from inside the 3 point line. The thing I noticed is, he was that flashy, but somehow scored, and could get into the passing lanes with his long arms.

Marques Bolden - He was good, but didn't score as much as I had hoped. Yesterday, he defended well because he's very long, but had some trouble scoring. It wasn't a bad performance on offense, I just didn't see a ton of post moves and, at least yesterday, they didn't pass it into the post first (like an Okafor), but I think we expected that. Overall, he can score and block shots, but out of the gate, I don't see him dominating early. Just my opinion from yesterday.

Chase - He's an interesting player because he goes all out, 100%. He was all over the place. He even hit some shots as well as a couple of foul shots. I wonder if he's a great practice player but a little timid during a game. I thought he was a lot better than his game performances last year. I see him as a very good back up to Marques, pushing him to play hard.

Luke - His stroke looked great and he played some PG as well. He's very skilled at protecting the ball. He scored a lot yesterday. In fact, he and Grayson were the two best players on the court and it wasn't that close. The funny thing was, someone asked me "why is Luke playing with his hair so much"? I laughed because he did that a lot last year. I really hope Luke plays a lot because with he and Grayson on the court together, Yikes. The two easily stood out.

Frank Jackson - My god he's really big for a 6'3'' guy. Capel told us he's 205 (while he's listed as that in the guide) he's still bigger than you think in person. He had a huge dunk and got the small crowd cheering. I will say he struggled to hit 3's yesterday (bad actually). That said, if he puts it on the floor, he will be hard to slow down. In fact, if Jackson and Tatum both put it on the floor instead of settle for the 3, they will be really tough to keep out of the lane.

Javin DeLaurier - He was surprising athletic. I'm saying this a lot, but he's really long as well. Defensively, I can see him getting some playing time because of how tough he is. I came away very impressed with his ability to defend. He didn't shoot a lot, but he didn't need to. I can see him getting playing time if Duke's defensive effort needs a boast. Based off of yesterday, he will be a pleasant surprise as a back up to Amile while Harry recovers.

Jack White - Holy cow, he's a lot better than I thought. He probably won't play a lot this year, but he was a surprise as well. Again, this is just a practice, but I remember saying several times, wow, White can play.

Antonio Vrankovic - He played a few minutes and was a serviceable back up as well. He was better defensively but I can see him developing a Marshall type of career. Maybe not getting the minutes Marshall got, but I wasn't disappointed in what I saw.

I told the person next to me, this team is awesome and Harry Giles wasn't even on the court. I cannot imagine what a healthy Giles adds, because this team is very good and very long.

If I had to guess, it will be Matt, Grayson, Amile, Jayson and Marques to start the season.

Thanks so much for posting all of this! Can't wait for the season to get going! I thought I read somewhere that Amile worked on his jump shot a lot this offseason, did he happen to take many in the games? If so, how did it look! I think if he can keep the defense honest with his jumpers, it will open massive lanes for our guards to drive and kick or finish at the rim!

Thanks so much for posting all of this! Can't wait for the season to get going! I thought I read somewhere that Amile worked on his jump shot a lot this offseason, did he happen to take many in the games? If so, how did it look! I think if he can keep the defense honest with his jumpers, it will open massive lanes for our guards to drive and kick or finish at the rim!
Amen cannot wait for the season to begin.This is worse than being a kid at Xmas waiting for Santa

Reactions: KellenPatrick
Let me wipe the drool from my mouth. With the way this season is going for the Panthers, Duke bball cannot get here soon enough!

Reactions: pisgah101
Thanks for the write up. Based on the analysis, I'm surprised you wouldn't think that Luke would start ahead of Matt, but it makes sense to have some punch off the bench and the defensive balance. Awesome report.

Thanks for the write up. Based on the analysis, I'm surprised you wouldn't think that Luke would start ahead of Matt, but it makes sense to have some punch off the bench and the defensive balance. Awesome report.

I would love to see Luke start.... but part of me likes him coming off the bench. He is instant offense as soon as you put him in and that's a nice thing to have With this team... but I can't lie when I say I'd rather him start

Reactions: dbav
I love hearing about the length and athleticism of this team. Maybe they can play defense for the Raiders.

Reactions: dbav
Den and Jake do you see a rotation of Amile/Bolden and Chase/Javin early on while Giles is recovering?
I'm not either of the guys you asked, but i do not see coach throwing jeter and javin together. I could see Giles and Jeter together when he gets back- but i think it is risky to have two very inexperienced talents together like that. If one of them is uber elite (like a Giles) you can understand it working. That's my opinion on it. But i do think both will get minutes early this season.

Reactions: denniden
Count me among the group who likes Luke coming off the bench, as well....much like Scheyer during his sophomore season. It hardly means Luke is our 6th best player.

Reactions: denniden
I'm not either of the guys you asked, but i do not see coach throwing jeter and javin together. I could see Giles and Jeter together when he gets back- but i think it is risky to have two very inexperienced talents together like that. If one of them is uber elite (like a Giles) you can understand it working. That's my opinion on it. But i do think both will get minutes early this season.

No problem at all! It was really open to anyone but since jake and den brought it up I thought I'd just mention them....

Reading your post, it makes sense and i definitely agree with the statement. I've heard good things about Javin (I understand practice and games are different) and just curious to see if he will get any time before conference play.

LAettner15, timo aid it better than i could have.

My only added comment would be, K using different players in match ups. Maybe not a rotation of Chase/Javin at the same time but maybe Chase or Javin depending on if the rotation needs a 4 or a 5

Here are his tweets:

I just fell in love :rolleyes:

Surprised to hear about Frank Jackson struggling from 3. Didn't he win the 3-point shooting contest at the McDonalds All Star game?

Surprised to hear about Frank Jackson struggling from 3. Didn't he win the 3-point shooting contest at the McDonalds All Star game?

Frank actually had trouble getting threes off against pressure. His shot on the move tends to be flat. He'll get better and on kick outs and reversals he'll be ok.

And Luke is very Scheyer-esque at the point. Low turnovers and a very smart passer.

He worked his shot a lot. But he has that old school mentality of getting the easiest shot possible. I don't see him showing his shot off much, but when he does it'll be consistent.

To be honest, Amile didn't make many jump shots. It still looked a little flat, but the rest of his game was very good.

To be honest, Amile didn't make many jump shots. It still looked a little flat, but the rest of his game was very good.
Been a lot of hype about how improved it is, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Enjoy this season carefully fellows we will rarely be this good ever, regardless if we win a NC or not. This much talent is rare even for Duke.

Thanks, it was a lot of fun watching something more than just the open practice a few weeks ago. This was game like and they even had refs calling fouls.

Luke outplayed Matt offensively but I feel like K will want the defense from Matt to start. That's just my opinion, however that could easily change as the season progresses, etc.

I will say it again, I don't remember a Duke team being this big and long. If you look up and down the roster, the length is incredible and this is without Giles.

Thanks, it was a lot of fun watching something more than just the open practice a few weeks ago. This was game like and they even had refs calling fouls.

Luke outplayed Matt offensively but I feel like K will want the defense from Matt to start. That's just my opinion, however that could easily change as the season progresses, etc.

I will say it again, I don't remember a Duke team being this big and long. If you look up and down the roster, the length is incredible and this is without Giles.
I'm jealous you were able to go! Great recap though and thanks for providing.

All off season I kept harping on how perfect for this team this year the way it is set up is for a player like Luke. I'm cool with him coming off the bench. Be the first guy in most likely with Frank after the first tv timeout. No one in the country will have that offensive punch that we will off the bench. You know he will be on the court at the end of games and for good reason- 90%+ FT shooter and a guy who you can't leave which opens up the lanes. Solid and smart ball handler and passer. I expect a huge year for Luke.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT