ADVERTISEMENT

Duval couldn’t see out of his left eye

I feel bad for TD, really wish he had stayed and improved. Riding buses in G-league isn't going to be fun.

That is a tough break for such an elite athlete and good kid. I hope there is some way he can compensate or get his vision better. I wonder how long he's known about the issue? Are eye exams/medical records a standard part of the draft process?

It came out during the season. They said everything appeared blurry for him out of that eye.

It seems I remember something about that now.Hope it is treatable and he plays somewhere next year. OFC

It came out during the season. They said everything appeared blurry for him out of that eye.

I don’t remember us talking about it on the board at all. If I missed it my bad. You would’ve thought ESPN would’ve blown it up every game of the season.

It's sad really, I would love to see him develop his game and be a successful NBA player.

It was definitely discussed on this board during the season. There was talk of him getting treatment at Duke and even speculation that the reason for his improved 3 point shooting was attributed to him being able to finally see out of both eyes clearly. Apparently it is still an issue for the young man. :(

Alan

Reactions: sgrooms
Was just wondering when the Duval camp was going to start taking shots a K, but nowwwwww I guess this could? be an excuse? Hey champ you still think we should run the Pick and Roll? Hahahahaha one eye! remember ! No In all seriousness it’s not funny if it can’t be corrected. Or wasn’t. I hope he is 100% healthy, or gets there, and hope he has a good career . I don’t know where I stand on this .

Last edited:
why are we barely finding out about this?!? He couldn’t really see out of his left eye. It’s like an Isaiah Austin problem. No wonder why he wasn’t picked .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...18-Trevon-Duval-Goes-Undrafted-119258829/Amp/
I am blind in one eye from an accident I had when I was 15 years old. I played point guard in High School and college. It did not affect my play one bit. I was a starting point guard in college and averaged double figures in points and assists. Everybody is always looking for excuses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Dukie
Yes this was well publicized.

I don't know exactly what was done for the condition at Duke Hospital but tests were run and possibly more.....

I am blind in one eye from an accident I had when I was 15 years old. I played point guard in High School and college. It did not affect my play one bit. I was a starting point guard in college and averaged double figures in points and assists. Everybody is always looking for excuses.

If you are blind in one eye, it definitely affected your play.....

Congrats on what was a great career you had.

This and the Duke medical staff was talked about plenty. Many commented about every time he hit a three.

I don’t remember us talking about it on the board at all. If I missed it my bad. You would’ve thought ESPN would’ve blown it up every game of the season.
This was actually mentioned by announcers during a game. The Duke medical staff were working to retrain his eye to see, it helped explain his poor shooting... i mean that has to jack up your depth perception.

Regarding affecting your vision. I also played point guard in high school. In one game, I took at finger to my left eye that split my contact. I airballed both free throws from the foul and had to come out the rest of the game because it destroyed my depth perception.

Jon Scheyer had that terrible eye injury that ended his hope of a pro career just three months out of Duke.

Regarding affecting your vision. I also played point guard in high school. In one game, I took at finger to my left eye that split my contact. I airballed both free throws from the foul and had to come out the rest of the game because it destroyed my depth perception.
Initially it does affect your depth perception but over time you adjust. I hit 88% of my free throws in college. Evidently I adjusted well.

And I slept with more women than Wilt Chamberlain...

Initially it does affect your depth perception but over time you adjust. I hit 88% of my free throws in college. Evidently I adjusted well.

True because every injury affects everyone the same

Second round to undrafted are about the same nothing is guaranteed and gives team more evaluation time in the summer league.

Houston is a good spot for Duval on their summer league especially if Paul doesn’t return.

A lot of the players in the second round will be moved around during the summer league and Duval will be a good back up in the league. Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t end up signing a league contract before summer league is over.

Dang, throw me in the camp that somehow didn't know about his vision problems. Hope he is able to recover.

I think Duval will be fine as he matures. He needs to make better decisions with the ball and work on his shot. His handles are great and his mid range game and floater are good.

Duval's eye issues were prior to entering Duke and they detected it and worked with him. It's vague as to how well it's repaired. I hope he and Trent eventually make it and have a long career. But I also hope it's a tough road for both in making a team.

Neither one of those guys should have gone to the NBA when they did. Duval had no draft stock to lose because he had no draft stock! He'd have been better off playing another year at Duke, developing his shot as he adjusted to his eyesight, and he might have actually been drafted in round 1. Trent just did not have the athleticism to go in round 1 as Bilas discussed in the draft coverage.

Whether it's a Duke player or another team, a lot of these guys need to recognize that patience is a virtue. And, parents of 5-star players also have to recognize that just because your kid is a 5-star rated player by some service doesn't mean they belong in the NBA or will get drafted after one year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT