ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS MICHIGAN STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
Well, here we are. It’s pretty amazing what one loss has done to the fanbase, the media (which always does when we lose) and the rankings.

I’ve made this assertion before with a friend of mine, many times, and he agrees, it’s funny how these things work. Had Matt (can I call him Matt?) caught that pass, finished at the buzzer and we held on for the win - there would be some concern that we played a low-major that closely, but we’d likely still be ranked #1, and I’m going to go out on a limb and say the spread for tonight’s game at MSU would be closer (we currently sit at +6.5). One turnover and runout, has flipped the college basketball world on Duke’s head. So remember, keep it in perspective. It’s early December and this year, it really is true that no single team is looking like a clear-cut favorite.

On to tonight. I’m not really sure what to think of this Spartan team. It’s become pretty typical of Michigan State to get overrated to start the season, lose a couple games, gel as the season moves into January and come out in March looking like roses and a national title contender. It seems like it happens to them often - and this year has gone down that same road.

If it wasn’t for a couple of crappy no-calls against Seton Hall, MSU could just as easily be 4-3. Instead, they enter tonight’s game 5-2 and like I stated earlier, a -6.5 favorite to beat Duke tonight at the Breslin Center; which is notoriously difficult on road teams.

Duke is 18-2 all time in the Big 10/ACC challenge, (including 4-0 all time against MSU) its only losses coming in 2011 at Ohio State and 2009 at Wisconsin. Thanks he last time these two faced off in the Breslin Center in 2003, #6 Duke thumped #5 MSU 72-50; not that it has any bearing on tonight’s game — just a side note (cause I’m still an SID at heart).

On the flip side, the Spartans are 8-11 all time in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge (and did I mention 0-4 against Duke). The Blue Devils, by a large margin, have the best record of any team in either conference - just another example of Coach K’s dominance.

All of this has some bearing on tonight’s game because clearly Coach K prepares his team for this annual battle better than any other coach. Any time the GOAT is on your bench, you’ve got a leg up on your opponent.

We all know, however, for Duke to get a win tonight, the defense is going to have to keep Sparty out of the paint and do a much better job on the offensive glass. That, and trying to shut down one of the toughest PG’s in the country in Cassius Winston will be difficult - but I have a good feeling about this one.

We’ll be short Stanley who has been a huge part of our success to start the year (but thank goodness early indications are it isn’t season ending), but for some reason I’ve got a good feeling about tonight. Tip is slated to begin at 9:30pm est and will air on ESPN.

Duke 77

Michigan State 75

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Before Stanley’s injury I wasn’t really all that nervous about this game even with us losing to SFA but with Stanley being out I’m a little nervous about this game simply because he’s one of our top 4 scores so not having his points that he scores it’s going to make this game tougher for sure but with the way that Hurt and Baker have been shooting recently hopefully they will continue shooting the way they have been and we can pull out a tough win.

Duke 76
MSU 70

Well, here we are. It’s pretty amazing what one loss has done to the fanbase, the media (which always does when we lose) and the rankings.

I’ve made this assertion before with a friend of mine, many times, and he agrees, it’s funny how these things work. Had Matt (can I call him Matt?) caught that pass, finished at the buzzer and we held on for the win - there would be some concern that we played a low-major that closely, but we’d likely still be ranked #1, and I’m going to go out on a limb and say the spread for tonight’s game at MSU would be closer (we currently sit at +6.5). One turnover and runout, has flipped the college basketball world on Duke’s head. So remember, keep it in perspective. It’s November and this year, it really is true that no single team is looking like a clear-cut favorite.

I'm not sure where Duke belongs in the rankings, but the drop they made I feel is being a victim of their own success. Duke hadn't lost to a non-conference foe in 19 freakin' years which is almost beyond comprehension, and thus I feel that the media (and many of our fans) feel that certainly this must be a crappy Duke team to end that streak. If we hadn't had such an incredible run and lost every 3 or 4 years like most other elite teams there wouldn't have been near as much the 'OMG the sky is falling stuff'. Hell, it might take us awhile to regain our mojo (look what happened to UK last year after we destroyed their confidence), but we're going to be just fine.

Duke 70
MSU 68

Go Duke!

OFC

Tonight we get a look at just how well this team responds to adversity, and how well they’ll handle the road in ACC play.

I’m not expecting a win tonight, though I think it’ll be close. I’ll go 79-73 MSU.

I’ll be interested to see how this young team grows up this week going to MSU and then first conference game at a place we always seem to struggle in VT.

Focusing on this Game... just don’t have a good feeling. If we limit our TOs and hit FT we definitely have a shot to pull this one out... but I think it won’t be enough this week.

MSU - 76
Duke - 66

I really hope I’m wrong

Tonight will be a battle. If we shoot well and make free throws, I think we win this. We will not be playing a spread the floor game tonight.like we have against the mid majors, so I think we win!!! Duke by a bucket!!!!
OFC

Cassius is out. That means two 3pt shooters are going to get an opportunity to show what they can do.

-MSU is a bad 3pt % defense. They always are under Izzo.

-They don’t run a great spread offense, meaning our defensive weakness won’t be exploited as easily tonight.

-Tillman is also an overrated interior defender. Matt and Vernon eat tonight.

-They are still a one trick pony. Last year they could space you out. So far, Gabe Brown, Tillman, Ahrens and Loyer haven’t spaced the floor well. Henry is good, but he’ll get a motivated Wendell tonight. Cassius gets a pissed off Tre too. I like that.

- The Breslin Center is overrated.

Duke - 75
MSU - 69

I don’t see ya winning this game. While i despise the Breslin student section who simply rip off everything the crazies do- that makes this their super bowl to show they are the best fan section. I do think that plays a factor.

we lose this game 80-74.

Looking forward to Winston vs Jones. If Tre holds his own on D and gets to the rim a few times on O, and if we shoot marginally from 3 we win a squeaker. And could we please continue to feed Carey until they prove they can stop him??

Duke 72
MSU 70

Just want to see improvement from the last game. As long as we are taking steps forward I'm down for the journey. Let's hope we improve AND come out with a big W. If this is the only time we see them this year I would like a W for Winstons 13th and hopefully last season.

Duke 77
msu 72

Reactions: JCColsCane
Our guards have to contain them better than we’ve done lately. That and rebounding. Like someone said above, improvement is the bigger goal, even though we want the W.

I think this is a tight game until about 10 minutes left in the 2nd half and I think the Spartans pull away.

MSU 77
Duke 65

I really want revenge against MSU tonight. Having said that, I think our confidence is down and MSU is playing a bit more mature than we are. No idea who wins tonight.

I think we continue to struggle unfortunately and Cassius being out is going to hurt. It’s only November though so hopefully we get better going forward regardless of the outcome. Hopefully Joey B gets meaningful minutes and continues to produce.

MSU 73
Duke 64

We have given up 10 three pointers or more in three games so far this year. McQuaid last year was really a lockdown perimeter defender for us and Langford was actually a good defender as well until his injury last January. Henry is our only plus defender at the wing/guard spot right now.

The other wildcard is where Winston is at mentally with his brother having recently committed suicide. It has affected the entire team. MSU laid an egg to Va Tech because of this. Winston was just emotionally drained and played so bad and as a result the team played really bad.

I have a feeling though in front of the home crowd he should get some extra support but who knows man.

I think we continue to struggle unfortunately and Cassius being out is going to hurt. It’s only November though so hopefully we get better going forward regardless of the outcome. Hopefully Joey B gets meaningful minutes and continues to produce.

MSU 73
Duke 64

It’s December

No Stanley. Two bad games in our heads. Black uni’s. = Duke Loss. 79-71 Bad guys.

Grab your coffee or soda with a 9:30 start it's going to be a late one. With Cassius out for a while... If we can win 1 of the 2 next games (@MSU , @VT) I will be happy. This team is still figuring things out.

With that said.. we get the win and revenge. Go Duke!

Duke 81
MSU 75

Reactions: skysdad
Grab your coffee or soda with a 9:30 start it's going to be a late one. With Cassius out for a while... If we can win 1 of the 2 next games (@MSU , @VT) I will be happy. This team is still figuring things out.

With that said.. we get the win and revenge. Go Duke!

Duke 81
MSU 75

I've been trying to take naps all afternoon to help me get through the game but on the other hand I take naps everyday anyway. OFC

If we play Joey Baker 20+ minutes I believe we win the game. We need his gunner mentality out there because he's not afraid to shoot and he actually makes his shots. He will help open the floor with Hurt to start the game off. Then we can put 4 around Vernon like we did in 2015 with Jah. Every time Joey has played extended minutes he has produced points. He has scored more than Alex in less minutes. Their defense is about even if not Joey being better. Let Joey start and run some plays for him out the gate.

I think we beat MSU because they aren't a good shooting team and I believe we will have a good defensive scheme for them. We need to be aggressive on ball screens and make sure the refs watch Cassius Winston heisman pose.

Duke by a field goal and safety

I've seen nothing in the last 2 games that makes me think we go into their house and win....sure hope I'm wrong

Sparty 82
Duke 74

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT